$200 Or Less DAC/AMP Combo to drive KEF Q350 loud enough

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes for future usage as eventually that be handed over to friends when upgraded. Reliability is important. Hence would go with reliable AVR over cheap Chi-fi AMPs
Makes little sense as most avrs are made there. You have an odd idea of how manufacturing in audio happens....

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Makes little sense as most avrs are made there. You have an odd idea of how manufacturing in audio happens....
LOL. Isn't there difference in Made and Designed though. Like I can trust in reliability of brands like SONY and Yamaha while am questioning the reliability of brands like SMSL and Sabaj etc.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL. Isn't there difference in Made and Designed though. Like I can trust in reliability of brands like SONY and Yamaha while am questioning the reliability of brands like SMSL and Sabaj etc.
I have a few made in China DACs that has been operating reliably, more so than a couple of my made in England and USA. People used to say the same thing about made in Japan cars, give them time they do catch up on those things such as build quality, style etc., including reliability.

For a $200 budget, those what you call Chi-fi may be the only good option, such as:

For the amp:
AIYIMA A07 Pro for $73, ASR just reviewed it, and it looks like it can drive the KEF Q350:
Aiyima A07 Pro Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

You can pay a little more buy it from Amazom and will be able to return it for a refund within 90 days.

Bench test results:
Aiyima A07 Pro Amplifier Review | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

For DAC:
Amazon.com: S.M.S.L SU-1 MQA MQA-CD Audio Decoder AK4493S XU316 768kHz/32Bit DSD512 Hi-Res DAC : Electronics for $80, or

Amazon.com: Topping D10s Mini USB DAC CSS XMOS XU208 ES9038Q2M OPA2134 Audio Amplifier Decoder Black : Electronics for $100

Either one will outperform most integrated amp build in DACs in the $1,000 to $2,000 price range.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes. Actually there are even new AVRs from SONY and Yamaha at that price range. rated at 100W and 80W respectively. Yamaha has Optical input while SONY only has RCA in.

But wouldn't it be a bit big in size. For Desktop usage.
Most "bookshelf" speakers don't get used on actual bookshelves. The idea that a "desktop" system need fit on a desktop is perhaps it's most limiting requirement. I have my desk off the wall and have my AVR and subwoofer amp between the front of my desk and the wall. Only time I have to get to it is to dust so I just pull the desk out occasionally. I use either floor standing, or stand mount speakers on either side of the desk. Only audio equipment on my desktop is a tiny USB CD transport.

The AVR I have is a pre-HDMI Denon 3805. It's rated at 120 WPC into 8 ohms. I never worry with what I want to hook up to it.

$200 is a silly budget, really. I work a full time job. With some patience and perseverance, I can reliably and comfortably save $1k/month. It means I have to cook my own meals and brew my own coffee, which I prefer to do anyway.

I am considering a pair of the new JBL L100 Classics for no other reason than I like them. The 4-5 months it would take to get them goes by in no time. I'm actually close to it now. Whether I pull the trigger or not is another matter.

Fk the financial institutions budget limits. Save the old-fashioned way and cut them out of it like the cancer that they are.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Most "bookshelf" speakers don't get used on actual bookshelves. The idea that a "desktop" system need fit on a desktop is perhaps it's most limiting requirement. I have my desk off the wall and have my AVR and subwoofer amp between the front of my desk and the wall. Only time I have to get to it is to dust so I just pull the desk out occasionally. I use either floor standing, or stand mount speakers on either side of the desk. Only audio equipment on my desktop is a tiny USB CD transport.

The AVR I have is a pre-HDMI Denon 3805. It's rated at 120 WPC into 8 ohms. I never worry with what I want to hook up to it.

$200 is a silly budget, really. I work a full time job. With some patience and perseverance, I can reliably and comfortably save $1k/month. It means I have to cook my own meals and brew my own coffee, which I prefer to do anyway.

I am considering a pair of the new JBL L100 Classics for no other reason than I like them. The 4-5 months it would take to get them goes by in no time. I'm actually close to it now. Whether I pull the trigger or not is another matter.

Fk the financial institutions budget limits. Save the old-fashioned way and cut them out of it like the cancer that they are.
Yeah probably be looking into AVR. Mainly because of their reliability.

This is a multi-stage project. Purchasing something worth $200 just to drive the speaker setup for a year or two. Then be investing into some major upgrades.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah probably be looking into AVR. Mainly because of their reliability.

This is a multi-stage project. Purchasing something worth $200 just to drive the speaker setup for a year or two. Then be investing into some major upgrades.
That works, too. I lived with a pair of Harman Soundsticks for a few years as my main system and it was on a desktop and they were certainly well better than nothing and using only the PC for the source.

Even now, I practice with small, inexpensive chi-fi systems, in the event I can't do the full-scale experience, like when we were temporarily displaced by hurricane Irma.

There is decent stuff at a bargain now, at least. Even a pair of JBL LSR305 or 6 work better than most people expect for the prices.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Either one will outperform most integrated amp build in DACs in the $1,000 to $2,000 price range.
Maybe most, but not all:
Although I am surprised at A07 Pro measurements, for the first time ever, I see a true clean 100wpc integrated amp which is also extremely affordable.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe most, but not all:
Although I am surprised at A07 Pro measurements, for the first time ever, I see a true clean 100wpc integrated amp which is also extremely affordable.
I was talking about the two dacs I linked, not tbe A07 Pro amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe, somewhat depends on the particular company/factory/oversight/quality control. I'd look to mostly Yamaha Marantz and Denon for avrs myself for features. I do have an old cheap Sony avr that's been doing fine for many years, it just lacks the feature set of the big three (altho haven't checked out their latest releases). I don't follow the SMSL, Sabaj or other similar brands as I don't need anything they have (I'd rather have the flexibility and feature set of an avr).

I meant to include this earlier to help you determine your amp needs http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Maybe, somewhat depends on the particular company/factory/oversight/quality control. I'd look to mostly Yamaha Marantz and Denon for avrs myself for features. I do have an old cheap Sony avr that's been doing fine for many years, it just lacks the feature set of the big three (altho haven't checked out their latest releases). I don't follow the SMSL, Sabaj or other similar brands as I don't need anything they have (I'd rather have the flexibility and feature set of an avr).

I meant to include this earlier to help you determine your amp needs http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html
Yes. Hence am looking into AVR as well. Please recommend anything good for around $200. Why SONY AVRs or any AVRs currently not on sale. Prices are killing me. SONY STR-DH590 should be close to $200 but is currently priced at $300.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. Hence am looking into AVR as well. Please recommend anything good for around $200. Why SONY AVRs or any AVRs currently not on sale. Prices are killing me. SONY STR-DH590 should be close to $200 but is currently priced at $300.
For $200 I think you'll need to look for used ones. Maybe a refurb at accessories4less.com to save some money, but watch terms of sale/warranty. Maybe check at a Costco store, too.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
For $200 I think you'll need to look for used ones. Maybe a refurb at accessories4less.com to save some money, but watch terms of sale/warranty. Maybe check at a Costco store, too.
No used or refurb man.But will definitely check out Costco.

C

CarlXu

Audiophyte
I don't use an AVR now, I would prefer processor plus many class d amps to built my system.

AVR is so large and expensive but without enough power.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis