Best amplifier for the price?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
I currently have a parasound A21 hooked up to my paradigm persona 3fs and I feel like they can use more power. Don't want to spend so much and was wondering what is the best amplifier that would have more than what the parasound I currently have has to offer (250w @ 8ohms). I would love to be able to afford the anthem STR amplifier for these speakers but they are way over budget. I wouldn't want to spend more than $3,000-$2,000.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
250W/8 ohms should be more than enough for most cases.

You would have to go to 500W or 650W into 8 ohms if your speakers truly need that much power.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Really lousy speakers, not fit for purpose. You need different speakers, not a different amp.
Well, those are expensive speakers that he owns. FR might not seem linear after 7 kHz. But if he loves how they sound, I don’t think he should get rid of them.

I think the OP just needs to work on the settings in his AVR/AVP to get the sound he wants.

But probably there’s no need to get rid of the amps or speakers.

C

CharlesJones166

Audioholic Intern
1. Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3: This power amplifier delivers 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms and is known for its excellent performance and value for money.

2. Rotel RB-1590: This powerhouse amplifier offers 350 watts per channel into 8 ohms and has a reputation for its robust build quality and high-end sound performance.

3. McIntosh MC152: While slightly above your budget, the McIntosh MC152 is a highly regarded amplifier delivering 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It offers the renowned McIntosh build quality and sound signature.

4. NAD Masters Series M22 V2: This amplifier provides 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms and is known for its clean and detailed sound reproduction. It offers a high level of performance at a more affordable price point.

It's important to note that while increasing the power output may provide more headroom and dynamics, it doesn't necessarily guarantee a significant improvement in sound quality. It's always recommended to audition amplifiers with your speakers to determine the best pairing in terms of sound characteristics and overall synergy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1. Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3: This power amplifier delivers 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms and is known for its excellent performance and value for money.

2. Rotel RB-1590: This powerhouse amplifier offers 350 watts per channel into 8 ohms and has a reputation for its robust build quality and high-end sound performance.

3. McIntosh MC152: While slightly above your budget, the McIntosh MC152 is a highly regarded amplifier delivering 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms. It offers the renowned McIntosh build quality and sound signature.

4. NAD Masters Series M22 V2: This amplifier provides 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms and is known for its clean and detailed sound reproduction. It offers a high level of performance at a more affordable price point.

It's important to note that while increasing the power output may provide more headroom and dynamics, it doesn't necessarily guarantee a significant improvement in sound quality. It's always recommended to audition amplifiers with your speakers to determine the best pairing in terms of sound characteristics and overall synergy.
Sound characteristics? Pairing and synergy ? We talking some sort of tube amp? You hear differences in competent amps?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think the OP just needs to work on the settings in his AVR/AVP to get the sound he wants.
the Op's A21 is not an AVR, rather a 250 watt stereo amplifier more than capable of driving his Paradigm speakers. Assuming there is nothing operational wrong with the pre-amp (don't know what he's using), amp , speakers, I'd say there are room anomalies playing games with his sound

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
the Op's A21 is not an AVR, rather a 250 watt stereo amplifier more than capable of driving his Paradigm speakers. Assuming there is nothing operational wrong with the pre-amp (don't know what he's using), amp , speakers, I'd say there are room anomalies playing games with his sound
Yes, we all know the Parasound A21 is an Amp. There’s not much to set up here.

We don’t know what he’s using as a “preamp”.

That’s why I said “AVR/AVP”.

Could be an AVR, AVP, or some other “preamp”. This is where the setup occurs - EQ, bass management, etc.

Last edited:
Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
The room does suck, a perfect square. And im using the anthem AVM 90 as the processor.

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Yes, we all know the Parasound A21 is an Amp. There’s not much to set up here.

We don’t know what he’s using as a “preamp”.

That’s why I said “AVR/AVP”.

Could be an AVR, AVP, or some other “preamp”. This is where the setup occurs - EQ, bass management, etc.
I am using the anthem AVM 90 as my processor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Keep in mind even with an amplifier that doubles your current amp's power, that's only a 3dB spl advantage, which isn't a lot. Still would help to know what you feel is lacking or what you're looking to gain particularly. Maybe show a room diagram or picture with speakers/subs and seating locations for some ideas for layout (but as you mentioned a square room can come with some issues acoustically).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If OP wants a new Amp, I say Buckeye Hypex or Purifi Amps FTW.
*shrugs
Shouldn't change anything, and I haven't taken the time to look for the electrical behavior of the Personas OP is using...

All I can say is that I am quite happy with my own Hypex experience thus far and am planning to add more as budget allows. I need to at least get a Stereo Amp / Dual Monoblock for my Mains before I can install my Atmos Speakers. Considering the new Hypex NCX500s for this, or d@mn the torpedos and do another DIY Hypex build when the Nilai 500 modules and matching power supplies become available in June.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am using the anthem AVM 90 as my processor.
I was guessing some sort of AVP.

As I was saying before, if you feel the desire to get a more powerful amp, then I would get a 500W or 650W amp.

As you own Anthem AVP and Parasound Halo amp, which are both big brand names, I assume you want a big brand name amp? Or something cheaper?

Hunter21

Hunter21

Audioholic
Keep in mind even with an amplifier that doubles your current amp's power, that's only a 3dB spl advantage, which isn't a lot. Still would help to know what you feel is lacking or what you're looking to gain particularly. Maybe show a room diagram or picture with speakers/subs and seating locations for some ideas for layout (but as you mentioned a square room can come with some issues acoustically).
Just a little warmer of a sound. My friend has a rotel amp that we tried at my house and it was rated at 350w and for some reason it made my speakers "sing" with more bass, where when i switched back to the parasound it sounded like it was lacking that bass, almost like a high pass filter

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis