Anti-Vibration Pads?

Audioholic
Are the anti-vibration pads of the variety that has a piece of cork sandwiched between two pieces of corrugated rubber worthwhile? I'm thinking of trying them out on a few of my audio components, including a turntable, a CD player and a pre. I'm looking at the 2"x2"x7/8" and the 4"x4"x7/8" sizes - not sure which would be better.

I've used Pink Pearl erasers under my speakers for the last decade or so, which seems to work, but they're not big enough for audio components. Hard to measure results, though.

Opinions?

- Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What on earth would such a pad do for a cd player or a pre-amp? Maybe the tt if it has poor suspension or location....

Audioholic
Dunno, exactly, hence my inquiry. I thought they might be a gimmick, but I have seen photos of forum members systems that have such anti-vibration pads.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Are the anti-vibration pads of the variety that has a piece of cork sandwiched between two pieces of corrugated rubber worthwhile? I'm thinking of trying them out on a few of my audio components, including a turntable, a CD player and a pre. I'm looking at the 2"x2"x7/8" and the 4"x4"x7/8" sizes - not sure which would be better.

I've used Pink Pearl erasers under my speakers for the last decade or so, which seems to work, but they're not big enough for audio components. Hard to measure results, though.

Opinions?

- Thanks
That is classic "snake oil" audiophoolery. On this site we have zero tolerance for those sort of superstitions. Yes, that is what they are.
So to answer your question, none of the above. It is all voodoo, including those daft Pink Pearl erasers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Are turntable weights voodoo as well?
Depends which weights you are referring to. If it those stupid weights you clamp the disc down over the spindle, then yes. If it is the balance and antiskating weights on the PU, then no.

Any of these sort of products have to have a basis in physics and NOT over active imaginations.

highfigh

highfigh

Opinions?

- Thanks
Gases (not gasoline, which is a liquid) are among the worst media fro transmitting sound unless a few conditions exist, none of which are survivable by humans- extremely low temperature, extreme SLP and specific gases, which would be toxic. The other conditions are easy to solve- the proximity of the device that could be affected by the sound source and construction methods.

If your turntable is picking up the energy from the speakers, move it. Many turntables couldn't stop feedback on a good day and they need to be sonically isolated, but the rubber feet won't help- more mass can, thought.

1684586597694.png

highfigh

highfigh

Depends which weights you are referring to. If it those stupid weights you clamp the disc down over the spindle, then yes. If it is the balance and antiskating weights on the PU, then no.

Any of these sort of products have to have a basis in physics and NOT over active imaginations.
I would agree, but adding weight to a platter can change the resonant frequency of a platter and/or LP. OTOH, most imported platters are too light and aren't rigid enough to avoid resonating at the wrong frequencies. Some barely weigh a few ounces.

Marketing- no other department has made it possible for someone to sell so much crap for so much money, in large quantities.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis