Anthem AVM70 preamp processor

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Hello Peng from the back row, Does the avm70 still missing DTS:pro? I am looking for a prepro to replace my Yamaha 3080. Would like 7.2.6 with Dirac and XLR outs, specially for subs. Budget 6K plus or minus. Open to all suggestions.
Thanks for all you do!

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Don’t know how face got in there its should be Pro.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello Peng from the back row, Does the avm70 still missing DTS:pro? I am looking for a prepro to replace my Yamaha 3080. Would like 7.2.6 with Dirac and XLR outs, specially for subs. Budget 6K plus or minus. Open to all suggestions.
Thanks for all you do!
Curious, why the need for xlr on subs particularly? What would you gain with a pre-pro (vs avr) particularly (other than expense)?

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Thanks Ryanosaur for the correction. I now know something new.
On the XLR outs, my 3080 has rca and running the cables near any power cord seemed to give subs brutal feedback. If I moved cable away , noise died down.
XLR is grounded so I assume it would help. My high channels on my 3080 seemed to have decided not to work. So might as well upgrade.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Ryanosaur for the correction. I now know something new.
On the XLR outs, my 3080 has rca and running the cables near any power cord seemed to give subs brutal feedback. If I moved cable away , noise died down.
XLR is grounded so I assume it would help. My high channels on my 3080 seemed to have decided not to work. So might as well upgrade.
That's not quite how xlr/balanced cables work but were your rca cables adequately shielded?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A lot more work than Audyssey and Dirac?
Audyssey and Dirac did not create suck outs in the 25 to to Hz range. ARCG does, in my setup for sure. That's the part that I had to spend more time tweaking with the app. Ymmv...

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Apparently not. Got them from blue jeans many moons ago. I have since grounded my system using trigger wire connecting my 3080 with my amps.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don’t know how face got in there its should be Pro.
DTS:X Pro is not available for the 70 yet, not sure about the 90. If you want Dirac, forget about Anthem, Monolith, Arcam, Marantz, Storm audio do offer Dirac. Some AVRs can run Dirac too, such as NAD, Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra, and Denon.

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
DTS:X Pro is not available for the 70 yet, not sure about the 90. If you want Dirac, forget about Anthem, Monolith, Arcam, Marantz, Storm audio do offer Dirac. Some AVRs can run Dirac too, such as NAD, Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra, and Denon.
How about Marantz av8805a, av10 vs avm 70 ? Any opinions? if forgetting about direc.?

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Ease of use, reliability, and star wars fighters flying right around room like they are there. Realism.

H

Heardtherewasfood

Audioholic Intern
Hopefully don’t need customer support, but would be good. Have other streaming devices. Remote control ease of use, but have apple Streaming and cable remotes. Hope that helps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hopefully don’t need customer support, but would be good. Have other streaming devices. Remote control ease of use, but have apple Streaming and cable remotes. Hope that helps.
Customer support and reliability = I would say Yamaha is best here. But it’s not black and white. I would say Masimo (Marantz/Denon) is 2nd. As others mentioned, Anthem doesn’t have a phone number and you would have to ship to Canada.

For post-marketing support (firmware, etc.), big companies like Yamaha and Masimo will likely have better support and less bugs/issues.

Ease of use = probably a toss up.

Surround sound effects = ATMOS. This is discrete sound decoding, so definitely a toss up. Depends on your speakers and setup.

WiFi remote is extremely important to me. I don’t even use the physical remote control. Here, nobody in the world beats Yamaha.

I stream music using MusicCast from my PC server to my Yamaha’s. Works 100%.

S

stinga

Enthusiast
Prof Peng, subjectively, does the 70 sound more musical?
Or does it sound the same and basically no difference if room correction is done well?
You tweaked the heck out of both them so genuinely interested if there is a difference with the better DACS and circuitry etc.
Cheers cob

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis