Center Channel Speaker for KEF R7s

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

So I am still a bit of a newbie, but I recently started building my home theatre.

I currently have KEF R7 towers and an R2C as my front LCR, with an X6700H AVR, though I will also be testing out an Arcam AVR11 next week.

I am currently disappointed in the center channel. It seems it is a bit too “bright” and for some reason the audio doesn’t seem to blend with my towers. It’s hard to describe but when watching a movie its directionally noticeable that you are listening to center channel, rather than fill/blend in with the rest of audio.

Is this a known thing with R2C, or do I need more tweaking in my settings?

I looked at the specs on the R2Meta and R6Meta and both seem to go quite a bit deeper than the R2C with the R2Meta only being 3-400 more dollars. My concern is that they are both 4ohms while my R7 towers are 8ohm.

Not sure what to do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello All,

So I am still a bit of a newbie, but I recently started building my home theatre.

I currently have KEF R7 towers and an R2C as my front LCR, with an X6700H AVR, though I will also be testing out an Arcam AVR11 next week.

I am currently disappointed in the center channel. It seems it is a bit too “bright” and for some reason the audio doesn’t seem to blend with my towers. It’s hard to describe but when watching a movie its directionally noticeable that you are listening to center channel, rather than fill/blend in with the rest of audio.

Is this a known thing with R2C, or do I need more tweaking in my settings?

I looked at the specs on the R2Meta and R6Meta and both seem to go quite a bit deeper than the R2C with the R2Meta only being 3-400 more dollars. My concern is that they are both 4ohms while my R7 towers are 8ohm.

Not sure what to do.
I would say it a setting issue. Those speakers should be a perfect match. Coaxial speakers are ideal for center channels. I don't think the issue is your speakers.

I suspect this is an Audyssey issue. Use it for level matching and distance settings. Do not let it anywhere near frequency control. If you want to really screw up tonal balance then use Audyssey, so called "room correction."

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
I would say it a setting issue. Those speakers should be a perfect match. Coaxial speakers are ideal for center channels. I don't think the issue is your speakers.

I suspect this is an Audyssey issue. Use it for level matching and distance settings. Do not let it anywhere near frequency control. If you want to really screw up tonal balance then use Audyssey, so called "room correction."
Oh boy, I probably did mess something up then - I was fooling around with Audyssey and probably messed something up.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any pics of the room? Could also be a placement issue.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, the RC2 is designed to match the R series floor standers so they should pair well sonically. Maybe play with your main speaker positioning as well. For example, speakers will sound less bright when off axis. If your mains are pointed straight ahead but sitting off to the sides, then you are off axis from the mains, but directly in front of the center. If you toe in the mains towards the primary seating position, that could even out the response. Any reflective surfaces in front of the center, like tile flooring? Area rugs in front can dampen floor reflections.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
See attached. My subs are in the rear, the green boxes.

I haven’t received my acoustic room treatment panels yet, so could it be that too?
Treatments will most likely help as long as they’re appropriate for the situation.
For pics I meant an actual picture of the front of your room, to get an idea of placement. For example, putting a speaker in a cabinet, or all the way back on a stand or shelf will be very poor, acoustically speaking.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Are all the front speaker tweeters at ear level listening?? If center is a bit too loud/bright, did you try turning it down? In my case, Audyssey room correction works perfectly. Then you have EQ and loudness setting adjustments. Have you tried those adjustments? It took me a while to play with those to settle what was best for all listening. Movies are a bit hard to find what is best for you. Play with as much Audio adjustments that you can to fine tune to your needs.

Last edited:
W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
Treatments will most likely help as long as they’re appropriate for the situation.
For pics I meant an actual picture of the front of your room, to get an idea of placement. For example, putting a speaker in a cabinet, or all the way back on a stand or shelf will be very poor, acoustically speaking.
Ignore the wires, I am moving things around right now to try to get everything just right. They will be 100% hidden when I am done don’t worry lol.

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ignore the wires, I am moving things around right now to try to get everything just right. They will be 100% hidden when I am done don’t worry lol.
It's good that you have the center on top of the cabinet instead of inside the cubby. That gets the 3 dual drivers closely in line. Move the center closer to you so that the front edge is in line with the front of the cabinet, so that the cabinet is less likely to cause any reflections of interference. If you have any area rugs in the house, try one in front of the speakers to reduce floor reflections. Positioning of the mains will affect the sound as well, like moving them away from the wall or changing the angle. That is a trial and error process to see what appeals to you the most. The receiver should allow some manual adjustment if the center level is too hot or bright. If you move the mains you may need to rerun Audyssey.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What center did you have before that was better? Your comment about movies I wonder about a bit, as most content is in the center channel, particularly dialog heavy movies, maybe some of the action flicks not so much....

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
What center did you have before that was better? Your comment about movies I wonder about a bit, as most content is in the center channel, particularly dialog heavy movies, maybe some of the action flicks not so much....
I went from TV speakers to KEF lol, so a big jump for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I went from TV speakers to KEF lol, so a big jump for me.
I think your speakers are likely fine. Maybe the positioning needs some tweaking. Doubtful it's Audyssey doing something particularly unusual, but you can turn that off easily enough to see if it's the difference.

W

wutdarut

Audioholic Intern
I think your speakers are likely fine. Maybe the positioning needs some tweaking. Doubtful it's Audyssey doing something particularly unusual, but you can turn that off easily enough to see if it's the difference.
You are likely correct, probably just some fine tuning on my part.

I do have an Arcam AVR11 that just arrived at my house, so now I can mess around with that too and Dirac and see if that makes a difference. In the showroom the Arcam sounded significantly better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You are likely correct, probably just some fine tuning on my part.

I do have an Arcam AVR11 that just arrived at my house, so now I can mess around with that too and Dirac and see if that makes a difference. In the showroom the Arcam sounded significantly better.
Good luck, sounds like you'll be dealing with gear for a while.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It's good that you have the center on top of the cabinet instead of inside the cubby. That gets the 3 dual drivers closely in line. Move the center closer to you so that the front edge is in line with the front of the cabinet, so that the cabinet is less likely to cause any reflections of interference. If you have any area rugs in the house, try one in front of the speakers to reduce floor reflections. Positioning of the mains will affect the sound as well, like moving them away from the wall or changing the angle. That is a trial and error process to see what appeals to you the most. The receiver should allow some manual adjustment if the center level is too hot or bright. If you move the mains you may need to rerun Audyssey.
Totally agree.
Also, I think Dirac will do a much better job than Audyssey. Although my experience with audyssey has been good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis