I have a question about connecting XLR cables

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
A coaxial connection is perfect for transmitting a digital audio signal. You can get better sonic results with it than with an optical connection. This is due to the lack of signal conversion that occurs in the case of a coaxial connection. A coaxial connection may support a higher signal resolution (most commonly 24-bit/192kHz). For optical connections, the maximum throughput is typically limited to 96 kHz.

The main disadvantage of a coaxial connection, however, is the greater risk of transmitting interference along with the useful audio signal. Therefore, when choosing a coaxial cable, special attention should be paid to its shielding.

Coaxial connections do not have enough bandwidth to support high-quality surround sound formats: Dolby True HD or DTS-HD Master Audio. Thus, in a modern home theater system, the possibilities of its use are very limited. The bandwidth of the coaxial connection is 52 Mb/s

Which connection to use?

The answer to this question depends on the type of devices you want to connect. If you are going to send a digital audio signal and you are considering a coaxial or optical connection, we advise you to choose the former. We know from experience that using a coaxial connection we can get better sound quality. It's all about a higher level of detail and better dynamics.

If you have a home theater system, the best solution will undoubtedly be to use the HDMI connector. As we have already mentioned, it allows you to transmit audio and video signals with one cable, which significantly reduces the number of cables. In addition, due to the high bandwidth, you don't have to worry about signal quality limitations.

ANY QUESTIONS?????

BUT XLR will be defo better from coaxial in audio I talk about sound quality
You are very confused. I don't know where you are getting your information but I would ditch that source.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Google is a dangerous thing when you don't know what you are looking at. So you googled stuff and then believed whatever it told you as fact? Welcome to the internet. To form a real opinion based on googled stuff, you need to read past the first few clicks and see all sides of what you are asking. The truth is often going to come from actually doing some real world listening for yourself though, something that google isn't going to be able to do for you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Instead of arguing about what you're reading online, I would just get a XLR cable and some RCA cables as well as an optical cable and just try them all out. Call it some money spent on a learning experience.
Great idea for him, but I would like to add that, all else being equal, XLR (balanced) output from the CD player will have 2X the voltage of the RCA outputs, typically speaking. He probably knows that already though. So, if he is going to do comparative listening using RCAs vs XLRs, depending on his preamp and/or power amp, he should level match carefully, otherwise he will probably hear "better sound" from XLR connections if it ends up being louder.

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
Relax guys I still green but not stupid and I don't believe everything what I find on Google what I say is everywhere where I tape some topic results are the same I don't connect any RCA I will try good quality XLR and I will see what happens at the moment I use coaxial premium make and I am happy with that also topic wasn't about which connection are better only subjects was it is possible connect XLR from amplifier star to CD player and that will work or not I ask because I don't try that before so better ask before I try right?
Most time XLR are go from amp to speakers this is why I ask they can be connected different way

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Relax guys I still green but not stupid and I don't believe everything what I find on Google what I say is everywhere where I tape some topic results are the same I don't connect any RCA I will try good quality XLR and I will see what happens at the moment I use coaxial premium make and I am happy with that also topic wasn't about which connection are better only subjects was it is possible connect XLR from amplifier star to CD player and that will work or not I ask because I don't try that before so better ask before I try right?
Most time XLR are go from amp to speakers this is why I ask they can be connected different way
No, most XLR does not go from amp to speakers.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, you won't find XLR cables between an amp and a speaker. XLR connections are for low voltage sources only.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You might be confusing XLR with Speak-on for speaker cables. The ends look similar. As others mentioned, XLR is for low level signals only. Speak-on connectors are from amp to speaker, but again, mostly used in the professional market with some crossover into residential and retail.

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
.....but because everyone focus on XLR after I already receive answer for question something is come to my head another question a question I can't find answer for
How many of MAX Khz of data XLR is able to transfer

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
No, you won't find XLR cables between an amp and a speaker. XLR connections are for low voltage sources only.
That's interesting because I find out model of Yamaha amplifier with planty XLR connection this amp dont have any other connections for speakers only XLR

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That's interesting because I find out model of Yamaha amplifier with planty XLR connection this amp dont have any other connections for speakers only XLR
That's impossible! The Yamaha might have XLR inputs but for the output, it definitely has to be something else. I think you are mixing up XLR with SpeakOn connectors. The SpeakOn connector is the one used between a power amp and a loudspeaker.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Find a Guitar Center and buy a pair of Hosa XLR and RCA cables. Then, find an optical cable and also, use one of the coax for the wired Digital connection. If you hear a difference, great and if not, also great but also more likely. If you do hear a difference, have someone else change between the different cables and make sure they don't tell you which is connected.

"Most time XLR are go from amp to speakers"- never. XLR is no longer used for any kind of speaker connection, only between sources to preamp, processors to preamp and preamp to power amp.

The manuals for your equipment show that yes, you can connect the CD player with XLR but all of our posts give reasons for why it's not necessary.

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
That's impossible! The Yamaha might have XLR inputs but for the output, it definitely has to be something else. I think you are mixing up XLR with SpeakOn connectors. The SpeakOn connector is the one used between a power amp and a loudspeaker.
Yamaha CX-A5200 have a look yourself and yes this connection are for speakers only in this case this is why I ask in the first place it is possible to connect XLR from amp to cd player because I wasn't sure after I saw cx-a5200

C

Chris Anderson

Junior Audioholic
.....but because everyone focus on XLR after I already receive answer for question something is come to my head another question a question I can't find answer for
How many of MAX Khz of data XLR is able to transfer
Nothing on this topic?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha CX-A5200 have a look yourself and yes this connection are for speakers only in this case this is why I ask in the first place it is possible to connect XLR from amp to cd player because I wasn't sure after I saw cx-a5200
This is what I was saying earlier, if you are asking this question, you would first need gear that supports XLR on both sides. The A5200 has XLR for connecting to an amp, analog line level signal. They are all outputs.

Nothing on this topic?
You are asking in terms of digital. XLR is an analog cable. I don't recall seeing XLR used as digital, but I suppose it is possible.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Yamaha CX-A5200 is a preamplifier, so you cannot connect any speaker to it. You need to connect this preamp to power amps which would then be connected to speakers,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis