Thin audio in front speakers on Yamaha RX-v683

C

clipperaudio

Audiophyte
Hi all. I have a Yamaha RX-v683 receiver with Kef Q15.2 speakers for my front L/R. For months, my right front speaker has not been receiving audio to the tweeter. I tried troubleshooting by switching the front speakers, and now I have the problem in both fronts. The audio sounds thin, and there is no movement in the speakers when I touch them. Center, surrounds, and Zone 2 speakers are all functioning normally. I have tried recalibrating with YPAO, restoring factory settings, and unplugging everything and replugging. I have also tested the front speakers on another Yamaha receiver and they work perfectly. I have no idea what else to try. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Hi all. I have a Yamaha RX-v683 receiver with Kef Q15.2 speakers for my front L/R. For months, my right front speaker has not been receiving audio to the tweeter. I tried troubleshooting by switching the front speakers, and now I have the problem in both fronts. The audio sounds thin, and there is no movement in the speakers when I touch them. Center, surrounds, and Zone 2 speakers are all functioning normally. I have tried recalibrating with YPAO, restoring factory settings, and unplugging everything and replugging. I have also tested the front speakers on another Yamaha receiver and they work perfectly. I have no idea what else to try. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Put it into two channel mode and see if you get proper left and right output that way.
If you don't, the front amp may be compromised....if you do, something is wrong with the surround processing.

C

clipperaudio

Audiophyte
Put it into two channel mode and see if you get proper left and right output that way.
If you don't, the front amp may be compromised....if you do, something is wrong with the surround processing.
Thanks. I tried that before I posted and no luck there. Since I wrote this, I plugged in a Focal Dome and it passed audio clear as day, so I guess the receiver works, just not with the Kefs. Why the Yamaha would decide all-of-a-sudden to not like these Kef speakers is far beyond me. My Yamaha RX-v520 still likes them just fine. Weird...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Try to play them one at a time, that is, mono and see if you hear a difference. If yes, try reversing the phase on one of them. It might be possible that one had it's phase wired wrong (reversed) internally.

C

clipperaudio

Audiophyte
Try to play them one at a time, that is, mono and see if you hear a difference. If yes, try reversing the phase on one of them. It might be possible that one had it's phase wired wrong (reversed) internally.
Yup, good thought but I tried that too. I even cracked open one of the speakers and checked all the wiring. Everything is fine, and I've been listening to these speakers since 2001 when I bought them. Never been a problem before. And like I said, they still play fine on my receiver from 2001.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In that case, it sounds like the RX-V683 is the issue, if the speakers work fine on the RX-V520. On more troubleshooting step you can try is to connect the speakers to another channel of the V683, and if it works then you know something went wrong with the front channel left/right channels, could be a stuck relay or something got stuck in a certain state/mode, hard to tell with proper testing and reading up on the service manual.

C

clipperaudio

Audiophyte
In that case, it sounds like the RX-V683 is the issue, if the speakers work fine on the RX-V520. On more troubleshooting step you can try is to connect the speakers to another channel of the V683, and if it works then you know something went wrong with the front channel left/right channels, could be a stuck relay or something got stuck in a certain state/mode, hard to tell with proper testing and reading up on the service manual.
Hey Peng. I tried plugging my Kef speaker into a surround channel and the same problem persisted. I then plugged my neighbors speakers into the front channels and they sound perfect. I have no idea why the receiver would prefer one speaker over another.

C

clipperaudio

Audiophyte
Maybe set to 4 Ohm Impedance?
Yup, tried that too. The RX-v683 has 8 ohm as the factory default setting, and then you can switch it to 6 ohm which the manual says also supports 4 ohm. Same problem either way though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, tried that too. The RX-v683 has 8 ohm as the factory default setting, and then you can switch it to 6 ohm which the manual says also supports 4 ohm. Same problem either way though.
I'd just use the 8 ohm setting, the others just limit power.

N

NMG

Enthusiast
Complete shot in the dark, but are you using the same speaker wires for all of the speakers and connections when doing the testing?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis