Volume issues with RX-A1080

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that really is testament to what an unwise investment a receiver truly is now.
A Refurbished AV Processor is no better because it is just as complex as an AVR sans the amp section.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A Refurbished AV Processor is no better because it is just as complex as an AVR sans the amp section.
We can never convince TLSG on this, but I fully agree with you. AVP also produce lots of heat as well. We all know power amps rarely failed in the first 10 to 15 years so to practically get the same reliability as an AVP such as Marantz AVR vs Marantz AVP, one just have to use a $10 fan with the AVR version as insurance. Anthem AVM70/90 has fan and that actually would turn on too.

W

wayneb64

Enthusiast
I have a USB powered PC fan blowing across the top of my amp to purge any excess heat from my AV rack. Macguyvered it together when my really old prior Yamaha AVR was shutting itself off due to overheat.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
We can never convince TLSG on this, but I fully agree with you. AVP also produce lots of heat as well. We all know power amps rarely failed in the first 10 to 15 years so to practically get the same reliability as an AVP such as Marantz AVR vs Marantz AVP, one just have to use a $10 fan with the AVR version as insurance. Anthem AVM70/90 has fan and that actually would turn on too.
You are wrong. My AVPs make practically no heat at all. They are only slightly warm to the touch, even after being on and used for hours. They make only a small fraction of the heat of an AVR. So there is no convincing to do and that is fact.

My first AVP the Marantz 8801 did make significant heat and was sent in for repair once. My other three especially the newest 7705 makes practically no heat at all.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You are wrong. My AVPs make practically no heat at all. They are only slightly warm to the touch, even after being on and used for hours. They make only a small fraction of the heat of an AVR. So there is no convincing to do and that is fact.

My first AVP the Marantz 8801 did make significant heat and was sent in for repair once. My other three especially the newest 7705 makes practically no heat at all.
No, you got it wrong, I meant we couldn't convince on your notion that AVRs are inherently bad, even disasters and you have been recommending against them, when they are a good solution for a lot of people/applications.

FYI, I agree with you to some extent on this too since the crazy race for manufactureres to compete in the number of channels started a few years ago. Just that you seem a little more extreme on this, though you obviously don't know that yourself lol...

As to heat issue, of course AVRs, all else being equal, would produce more heat but AVPs run quite warm too based on my experience with two Marantz AVPs and on other individual cases. Yours may be cool because of your own environment, you probably keep the house cooler than mine (21 to 23 deg C for me) and have ample space for them to vent naturally. My AV8801 has only 11.2 processing, heavily shielded, copper plated, toroidal tx and have more spacing their your AV7705, but it felt as warm as my Denon AVR-X4400H, that's just a fact, so please don't generalize. Though again, as I said, all else being equal, AVPs should run cooler, relatively speaking. It could be that the AV7000 series use low bias currents, and are overall more efficient than the 8000 series. Again, since it has a lot to do with the individual design, AVPs or even a two channel DACs could run quite warm by design. Try one of those British made little ones made by Chord, those little ones could be hot to the touch, yet they could last for years. You can jam a lot of parts/components in a box, if designed well, they can be fine.

How many parts you do think were jammed into the tiny opa such as the NJM8080 and the DSP in you AV7705? You probably do know the answer too.:D So please, don't use "too many jammed...." as the reason, it depends on the overall design!!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, you got it wrong, I meant we couldn't convince on your notion that AVRs are inherently bad, even disasters and you have been recommending against them, when they are a good solution for a lot of people/applications.

FYI, I agree with you to some extent on this too since the crazy race for manufactureres to compete in the number of channels started a few years ago. Just that you seem a little more extreme on this, though you obviously don't know that yourself lol...

As to heat issue, of course AVRs, all else being equal, would produce more heat but AVPs run quite warm too based on my experience with two Marantz AVPs and on other individual cases. Yours may be cool because of your own environment, you probably keep the house cooler than mine (21 to 23 deg C for me) and have ample space for them to vent naturally. My AV8801 has only 11.2 processing, heavily shielded, copper plated, toroidal tx and have more spacing their your AV7705, but it felt as warm as my Denon AVR-X4400H, that's just a fact, so please don't generalize. Though again, as I said, all else being equal, AVPs should run cooler, relatively speaking. It could be that the AV7000 series use low bias currents, and are overall more efficient than the 8000 series. Again, since it has a lot to do with the individual design, AVPs or even a two channel DACs could run quite warm by design. Try one of those British made little ones made by Chord, those little ones could be hot to the touch, yet they could last for years. You can jam a lot of parts/components in a box, if designed well, they can be fine.

How many parts you do think were jammed into the tiny opa such as the NJM8080 and the DSP in you AV7705? You probably do know the answer too.:D So please, don't use "too many jammed...." as the reason, it depends on the overall design!!
Yeah, TLS Guy is set in his views when it comes to being anti-AVR. :D

Many of us have used both AVP and AVR for so MANY MANY years.

Different situations call for different solutions.There’s something for everyone.

I don’t feel the urge to spend $3K on AVP + another $3K for amps for every single system/room.

Both AVR and AVP can last a long time. I’ve seen AVP’s that run cool and still malfunction within 1 year. So AVR can last just as long as AVP and some AVR last a lot longer than some AVP.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, TLS Guy is set in his views when it comes to being anti-AVR. :D

Many of us have used both AVP and AVR for so MANY MANY years.

Different situations call for different solutions.There’s something for everyone.

I don’t feel the urge to spend $3K on AVP + another $3K for amps for every single system/room.

Both AVR and AVP can last a long time. I’ve seen AVP’s that run cool and still malfunction within 1 year. So AVR can last just as long as AVP and some AVR last a lot longer than some AVP.
My seven year old Denon AVR-X4200W still works fine with a 5.2 setup using 4 Ohms speakers. It’s used daily with volume is around -30dB for the most part, and seldom higher than -20 dB.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My seven year old Denon AVR-X4200W still works fine with a 5.2 setup using 4 Ohms speakers. It’s used daily with volume is around -30dB for the most part, and seldom higher than -20 dB.
Yeah I never had problems with my Denon 3000 and 4000 series AVR (except for the refurbished ones).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis