Software for speaker selection

S

ScottMedicine37

Audiophyte
I may be wrong, but I remember on one of Gene's videos he had some type of software he used. It was only mentioned briefly. Basically, the software (perhaps an app or paid thing) allowed him to choose which speakers produced audio. For example, he can go on the website/app/software on his computer and turn certain speakers "on/off" in terms of audio output, rather than just unplugging the actual speakers over and over.

Does anyone know what this software is? Or if I'm just making this up?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I may be wrong, but I remember on one of Gene's videos he had some type of software he used. It was only mentioned briefly. Basically, the software (perhaps an app or paid thing) allowed him to choose which speakers produced audio. For example, he can go on the website/app/software on his computer and turn certain speakers "on/off" in terms of audio output, rather than just unplugging the actual speakers over and over.

Does anyone know what this software is? Or if I'm just making this up?
Any receiver or AVP will do that.

S

ScottMedicine37

Audiophyte
I wish mine did then, but i don't believe it does. I have the Denon X3700H

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I wish mine did then, but i don't believe it does. I have the Denon X3700H
Of course it does. Open the set up menu, and go to speaker set up. Then select the speakers you want and deselect the ones you don't.

S

ScottMedicine37

Audiophyte
Ahh, yes. That it does. So let me add to the original question: I'd like to turn the individual speakers on/off with a "click of a button" in any combination. Sort of like opening an amazon alexa app and turning smart lights on/off, if that makes sense.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ahh, yes. That it does. So let me add to the original question: I'd like to turn the individual speakers on/off with a "click of a button" in any combination. Sort of like opening an amazon alexa app and turning smart lights on/off, if that makes sense.
You could setup a quick select button on the remote along with speaker preset for at least two setups IIRC. Why do you want to eliminate particular speakers? Which ones?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That's not going to happen. You would have to put a speaker selector in each speaker lead. An absolute nightmare. For Heavens sake turn your attention to something more useful.

S

ScottMedicine37

Audiophyte
You could setup a quick select button on the remote along with speaker preset for at least two setups IIRC. Why do you want to eliminate particular speakers? Which ones?
Thank you. Oh yeah, I tried that, didn't really quite do it for me. Honestly, I would just like to be able to play with them during different content to see what audio is coming from what speakers. But also, my speaker setup is slightly atypical, and to fine-tune certain speakers depending on the source content...well, this being able to turn speakers on/off would definitely help with that, I feel. But if this software doesn't exist, it is what it is. I'm watching some of Gene's videos that I did when I originally (believe) he mentioned this type of software--retracing my steps. I guess we'll see if I can find it.

highfigh

highfigh

Thank you. Oh yeah, I tried that, didn't really quite do it for me. Honestly, I would just like to be able to play with them during different content to see what audio is coming from what speakers. But also, my speaker setup is slightly atypical, and to fine-tune certain speakers depending on the source content...well, this being able to turn speakers on/off would definitely help with that, I feel. But if this software doesn't exist, it is what it is. I'm watching some of Gene's videos that I did when I originally (believe) he mentioned this type of software--retracing my steps. I guess we'll see if I can find it.
Use the Mode button.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you looked at using the app or internet control?

highfigh

highfigh

You need to work with this as it was designed to operate- it's not going to do what you want- have you read the manual WRT this function?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
… Honestly, I would just like to be able to play with them during different content to see what audio is coming from what speakers. But also, my speaker setup is slightly atypical, and to fine-tune certain speakers depending on the source content...well, this being able to turn speakers on/off would definitely help with that, I feel. But if this software doesn't exist, it is what it is.
If you're determined to switch between different speakers during playback, this device will do that. It allows seamless switching by remote control among two preamplifiers, two power amplifiers, and three sets of speakers (with or without subwoofers). It allows you to pre-adjust the volumes of different speakers so that one pair isn't louder than another.

It isn't cheap, $1,400.

K

kate4u

Audiophyte
There are various audio routing software applications available that can allow users to control which audio outputs are active on their computer. Some popular examples include VoiceMeeter, Audio Router, and CheVolume. It is possible that Gene was using one of these or a similar program to control his audio outputs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm really just not sure what you're trying, or hoping to accomplish here.

Surround sound should be setup based upon industry standards for speaker placement, and then levels should be set using the calibration mic that comes with the system, or by using a basic sound meter and tape measure. You can play with it and tweak it some, but you really want a pretty flat response from the speakers if possible and you want their distances and levels accurate so you get the intended audio properly from your main listening position.

There is no 'software' that changes how the Denon receiver behaves beyond the functionality already built into the Denon. I expect, whatever Gene used, it may have been software related to a specific setup that he was using at the time, or a specific piece of audio gear.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis