Are these defects detrimental?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I bought a pair of Miller & Kreisel tweeters (model 17500 8 ohm) for a project. He sent me a free one, three in total. They arrived today and all three soft domes are damaged. He described them as NOS. These do not look new, even on the terminals. No solder, but clear scratches, like terminal connectors were attached. That, I do not mind so much. But the domes are a drag. I know woofer dust covers do not emanate sound. I have a feeling that tweeter domes are the media that drives the sound. I hope I am wrong. If they do drive the sound, how bad are these?

Attachments

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Return them. If that was not disclosed then you are being scammed.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I don't know what is going on with the ebay seller. He has a 100% fb profile (301. Not high, not super low). That is generally not a scammer. I sent a message, waiting for a reply. One thing that raises an eyebrow is that it took him over a week to ship. He said he had covid. Which is fine if true, but I had to ask him "shipping yet?" to find that out. If I had buyers, I'd notify them before even a couple days went by.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I don't know what is going on with the ebay seller. He has a 100% fb profile (301. Not high, not super low). That is generally not a scammer. I sent a message, waiting for a reply. One thing that raises an eyebrow is that it took him over a week to ship. He said he had covid. Which is fine if true, but I had to ask him "shipping yet?" to find that out. If I had buyers, I'd notify them before even a couple days went by.
What did the images look like? Stock or did he show what he sent. Very odd to be "gifted" an extra for no reason.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
What did the images look like? Stock or did he show what he sent. Very odd to be "gifted" an extra for no reason.
Images were not these. They were clean domes. He had several pairs for sale apparently. I got the last pair.... plus one. I need an explanation, for sure.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thought for a bit there you meant M&K was the vendor, rather than some random seller. The dents may/may not mean anything, hard to know over the internet.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
In many cases dented domes do not affect subjective sound but if measured it may be a different case.
Would they not have an uneven frequency dispersion from perfect domes? Two look heinous, one not super bad.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Thought for a bit there you meant M&K was the vendor, rather than some random seller. The dents may/may not mean anything, hard to know over the internet.
I'll give them a listen and see.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The seller just replied. He is not doing well. I was hoping there was an explanation of some kind. Now I feel bad for him. But I did not get nasty, not even a little bit. I only asked him (one sentence) what was going on with the domes.
Here's his reply: "
They look awful!
I don’t know how I screwed that up. I’m sorry.
I’m thinking I packed the wrong ones. I’m so sick at the moment that hat it’s hard to type because of the shivering, so i’m going to refund your payment. You can keep those as a gift.
It may be a few days until I can find the and pack the others.
When I do find the right ones I’ll send out to you on me. This relapse is worse in some ways the5n the original covid. I’m really starting to regret getting the vaccines.
I apologize for my mistake . I hope hat making them a gift indicates how regretful I am.
Peace, Rick"

... and I just got the refund.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The seller just replied. He is not doing well. I was hoping there was an explanation of some kind. Now I feel bad for him. But I did not get nasty, not even a little bit. I only asked him (one sentence) what was going on with the domes.
Here's his reply: "
They look awful!
I don’t know how I screwed that up. I’m sorry.
I’m thinking I packed the wrong ones. I’m so sick at the moment that hat it’s hard to type because of the shivering, so i’m going to refund your payment. You can keep those as a gift.
It may be a few days until I can find the and pack the others.
When I do find the right ones I’ll send out to you on me. This relapse is worse in some ways the5n the original covid. I’m really starting to regret getting the vaccines.
I apologize for my mistake . I hope hat making them a gift indicates how regretful I am.
Peace, Rick"

... and I just got the refund.
Well at least you have them to try for free now. Good seller attitude/action!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Well that was the right thing to do and a stand up seller. Hope he feels better soon.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought a pair of Miller & Kreisel tweeters (model 17500 8 ohm) for a project. He sent me a free one, three in total. They arrived today and all three soft domes are damaged. He described them as NOS. These do not look new, even on the terminals. No solder, but clear scratches, like terminal connectors were attached. That, I do not mind so much. But the domes are a drag. I know woofer dust covers do not emanate sound. I have a feeling that tweeter domes are the media that drives the sound. I hope I am wrong. If they do drive the sound, how bad are these?
That's bad, because it is right at the edge. Those tweeters I doubt are useable.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That's bad, because it is right at the edge. Those tweeters I doubt are useable.
Thanks. That's too bad. Maybe he'll send another pair eventually. If he does, I'll pay him. He sent another message to reiterate that feels bad about it all. Poor guy.
In the meantime, I still have an ebay search on for them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis