Time to Build a New Box...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, when I "rebuild" I always get an i9 CPU + MSI Z motherboard + Nvidia GPU + Samsung M.2 for Windows OS + Samsung SSD for storage.
That's cause you fancy.

Speaking of Samsung SSDs. There is a firmware issue for the 980 pro 2tb drives. I removed mine from my PS5 to check the firmware, mine isn't affected, and my PS5 decided not to recognize the drive anymore. Awesome.

I got it to work, but damn that was frustrating.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's cause you fancy.

Speaking of Samsung SSDs. There is a firmware issue for the 980 pro 2tb drives. I removed mine from my PS5 to check the firmware, mine isn't affected, and my PS5 decided not to recognize the drive anymore. Awesome.

Yes, saw that on JayzTwoCents. The firmware marks good sectors bad and once you pass the threshold the drive switches to read only mode and it's NOT reversible. The new firmware does manage to restore the good sectors though.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yeah, when I "rebuild" I always get an i9 CPU + MSI Z motherboard + Nvidia GPU + Samsung M.2 for Windows OS + Samsung SSD for storage.

What does your OLD CASE look like?
My Case is a Bitfenix Ghost . It has no windows on the side and is insulated to limit noise transfer. I'm an Asus Motherboard fan but have built numerous Boxes for others using various OEMs.

"The most dangerous opponent is the one you can’t hear. Designed for silence, Ghost features BitFenix Serenitek™ Silencing material on the front door and side panels to keep unwanted system noise from throwing you off your game. Ghost comes ready for 240mm water cooling radiators, while the top-mounted S4™ storage compartment houses a SATA hot swap port for convenient file transfers. The outside is coated with BitFenix NanoChrome™, a new surface treatment which gives both metal and plastic a uniform look. The dual-hinge door design gives you the flexibility to open the door from the left or the right on-the-fly. Whisper-quiet Spectre™ fans keep both noise and temperatures down, and anti-vibration HDD trays dampen noise even further. With support for long graphics cards, Alchemy LED strips, the latest solid-state drives and USB 3.0, Ghost gives you everything you need to strike fear in the hearts of your opposition."

It's not the latest and greatest but it's got lots of room, and I use the top-mounted S4™ storage compartment all the time for swapping in and out Hard Drives for off machine Data back up.

It'll do...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, saw that on JayzTwoCents. The firmware marks good sectors bad and once you pass the threshold the drive switches to read only mode and it's NOT reversible. The new firmware does manage to restore the good sectors though.
Just annoying that my drive has the good firmware, but I'm still annoyed that the PS5 wouldn't recognize it after putting it back in.

All good now, but still.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
My Case is a Bitfenix Ghost . It has no windows on the side and is insulated to limit noise transfer. I'm an Asus Motherboard fan but have built numerous Boxes for others using various OEMs.

"The most dangerous opponent is the one you can’t hear. Designed for silence, Ghost features BitFenix Serenitek™ Silencing material on the front door and side panels to keep unwanted system noise from throwing you off your game. Ghost comes ready for 240mm water cooling radiators, while the top-mounted S4™ storage compartment houses a SATA hot swap port for convenient file transfers. The outside is coated with BitFenix NanoChrome™, a new surface treatment which gives both metal and plastic a uniform look. The dual-hinge door design gives you the flexibility to open the door from the left or the right on-the-fly. Whisper-quiet Spectre™ fans keep both noise and temperatures down, and anti-vibration HDD trays dampen noise even further. With support for long graphics cards, Alchemy LED strips, the latest solid-state drives and USB 3.0, Ghost gives you everything you need to strike fear in the hearts of your opposition."

It's not the latest and greatest but it's got lots of room, and I use the top-mounted S4™ storage compartment all the time for swapping in and out Hard Drives for off machine Data back up.

It'll do...
That's a lot like my Fractal Design Define XL. I like it, but it's showing it's age at this point so I may replace it.

What to do with a huge monolith case after it's replaced? No idea.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's cause you fancy.

Be careful with the Samsung m.2 drives, they have a corruption issue (Model 980 Pro 2TB but other models as well) upgrade your M.2 to the latest firmware.

(2) RAVE Tech Tidbit: Samsung 980 Pro SSD Firmware Update | LinkedIn
Thanks, I have not seen any issues, but I will try to update this weekend.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read, as long as your firmware version isn't the one with issues, you should be fine.
Yeah, I stopped updating my Samsung software probably 6 months ago, so maybe I skipped that nasty Firmware that caused the problems. :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks, I have not seen any issues, but I will try to update this weekend.
Crystal Disc info, or Samsung's own software can be used to scan for bad sectors, mine was fine too, but they attribute the issues to bad firmware, so definitely upgrade.

I never upgraded mine, built my PC about 4-5 months ago I think, whenever the 4090 came out and I had the bad firmware on mine w/o issues

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Also If you're interested in a smallish but powerful and inexpensive PC, check out the Beelink brand:
I agree about Beelink making some great mini-PCs. Mine are AMD based so I can't comment on their Intel products. The only Intel PCs that I've bought recently are refurbished Dell that I'll use as a part time print server now that I've retired my very old electricity guzzling gaming PC (replaced with an Alienware R14) and a power sipping Beelink that I use for web surfing and light gaming. Refurbished Dells can be a real bargain if you use one of their 50% off codes. I even picked up an extra ($110 with free shipping) for a broke friend to use in her latest job search.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis