Bookshelf Recommendations

Audioholic
Buddy o' mine has asked for guidance setting up an audio/video system. He is not an audiophile. His usage is ~ 50/50 TV/Movies & music. He has a giant Samsung smart TV, a Yamaha RX-V459 receiver, a Sony BluRay, and a pair of older Polk bookshelf speakers - maybe T-15s, but not sure. The Polks went missing during his latest move.

The plan is to hook up the TV & the BluRay to the receiver (obviously) so that he can stream Spotify and Pandora from the Smart TV through his stereo. His MO is to have it as easy as possible - no bluetooth - just turn on the system and go.

His budget is ~ $500.00 - 600.00 for new speakers and he does not want floor standing speakers/towers. He would like to buy a quality pair that will last him a very long time if not the rest of his life.

Primary requirement is that the speaker not be made in chiner, this is non-negotiable. Used is preferable b/c he can get a higher quality speaker for around his budget than a new speaker would provide.

Time frame to purchase is within the next couple of weeks.

I have made the following recommendations, all used. I either have direct experience with these speakers or have researched them fairly extensively:

1) Snell KII - excellent speaker in my estimation.
2) Focal 807V
3) Focal 705/6V (no experience)
4) Rogers studio monitors (no experience)
5) Salk Song Surround

And a bit over budget:
6) Zu Audio Omen bookshelf
7) Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2

Obviously, not all of these options are available at a given time, so I would like to narrow it down to 3 or 4 options so I can find at least one pair when he's ready to pull the trigger.

Although I am an audiophile, I do not consider myself an expert, so I appreciate the advice of others more knowledgeable than myself. Other speaker recommendations are welcome.

What say you?

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
$5-600 and without some part being made in China (overseas) is very difficult, including some on you list. The Salks are out of you budget, but their is a pair on USAM in Washington or Portland if you're in that area. I'd add Revel to your list as they go on sale in your range often. Out of what you have listed the Salks and the Ascends would be my choice but just know the Salks will take some time right now to deliver.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Monoprice Monolith Encore B6

Great sound, great value.

Where they are assembled, I don't know. Probably overseas.

Audioholic
everettT: Thank you for the reply, but respectfully, I disagree. Snell KII speakers are available used and in good condition for well under $500.00. I have personally seen several pair. I also purchased a pair of Snell KII speakers that had been reformed several years ago and I believe I paid about $150.00 + shipping. A good pair today should be in the $300.00 - $350.00 range. Although I realize that most modern (new(er)) speakers will contain some electronic components MIC, I think you may have missed my statement that I am looking for used speakers, which would minimize any MIC components. Obviously, the older the speaker, the less likely they will contain MIC parts.

I'm really leaning heavily towards the Snells. Although I am intrigued with the Zu Audio Omen bookshelf and the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 speakers, though they are over budget.

Like I said, my buddy is not an audiophile, but in reality I am sure he'd be happy with a set of newer Klipsch Reference bookshelves.

I've had several long conversations with him about the benefits of excellent speaker offerings made in the USA, Denmark, etc., and explained the meaning of such terms as sound stage, imaging, sensitivity, etc., and he seems interested in obtaining such esoteric goals for his system - as much as his budget will allow with the existing equipment he has. It's not that he doesn't have the money for a top-shelf system, it's just that such a system is not a priority for him since he's not an audiophile. I think a quality speaker is an important part of reaching some of those goals.

Thanks again and I will continue the research.

Last edited:

Audioholic
Out-Of-Phase: Thanks, I will take a look. Again, these don't have to be new speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
everettT: Thank you for the reply, but respectfully, I disagree. Snell KII speakers are available used and in good condition for well under $500.00. I have personally seen several pair. I also purchased a pair of Snell KII speakers that had been reformed several years ago and I believe I paid about $150.00 + shipping. A good pair today should be in the $300.00 - $350.00 range. Although I realize that most modern (new(er)) speakers will contain some electronic components MIC, I think you may have missed my statement that I am looking for used speakers, which would minimize any MIC components. Obviously, the older the speaker, the less likely they will contain MIC parts.

I'm really leaning heavily towards the Snells. Although I am intrigued with the Zu Audio Omen bookshelf and the Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 speakers, though they are over budget.

Like I said, my buddy is not an audiophile, but in reality I am sure he'd be happy with a set of newer Klipsch Reference bookshelves.

I've had several long conversations with him about the benefits of excellent speaker offerings made in the USA, Denmark, etc., and explained the meaning of such terms as sound stage, imaging, sensitivity, etc., and he seems interested in obtaining such esoteric goals for his system - as much as his budget will allow with the existing equipment he has. It's not that he doesn't have the money for a top-shelf system, it's just that such a system is not a priority for him since he's not an audiophile. I think a quality speaker is an important part of reaching, at least, some of those goals.

Thanks again and I will continue the research.
What I noted is *new*, except the used Salk I referenced. In his price range "end game or lifetime" bookshelves are highly subjective but more importantly which speakers will sound the best in a room without hearing them? Not knowing anything about the room, the Snells are my least favorite as their measurements indicate they are extremely bright and fatiguing, combine that with an 8" passive woofer and 70hz -3db point, no thank you. It can't cover important frequencies.

Edit for FR
191SK2fig2.jpg

Last edited:

Audioholic
everettT: Thank you and duly noted. Interesting as I have not found my Snell KIIs bright or fatiguing at all. Not sure why this would be the case unless the reforming process changed their sonic signature, though the tweeters are, I believe, original.

I will certainly take your advice though and look elsewhere, and thanks again.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
everettT: Thank you and duly noted. Interesting as I have not found my Snell KIIs bright or fatiguing at all. Not sure why this would be the case unless the reforming process changed their sonic signature, though the tweeters are, I believe, original.

I will certainly take your advice though and look elsewhere, and thanks again.
I'm just going off of the measurements. The difference between on axis and off axis doesn't smooth out the response. It would have been easier if you told us that you have the speakers and you have a preference for recommending them. At this point, I'll respectfully bow out of recommending any speakers. Good luck, I'm sure your friend will appreciate the help. :)

Audioholic
Thanks and apologies for the oversight.

Should anyone else have any recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Since he can come up with $500 today, certainly he could come up with $1000 in a month or 3. Life time speakers are worth saving for. The 'gotta have it now' for $500 is the biggest limitation on this quest.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks and apologies for the oversight.

Should anyone else have any recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them.
I would still keep the Snell on a short list ... and Focal 807 ... Outlaw BLS ... and any Salk you may find

Audioholic
MrBoat: Yes that is certainly true. The fact of the matter is that he could go and drop 50K on a system today if he wanted to do so. He is wealthy. The issue is that he doesn't want to spend much more than $500.00. In fact, he wanted to spend considerably less and I was able to convince him that if he wanted a decent speaker, not MIC, he'd have to up his budget, which is why the budget is now $5-600.00 rater than the $2-300.00 he wanted to spend.

I'd like him to up the budget to 1K, but it's not gonna' happen.

Audioholic
zieglj01: Glad we seem to be on the same page. I will take a look at the Outlaw BLS. Appreciate the rec.

Audioholic
zieglj01: Do you know where the Outlaw BLS is made? I can't seem to be able to find that information.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
zieglj01: Do you know where the Outlaw BLS is made? I can't seem to be able to find that information.
In case he's busy, not entirely in the USA but a great reproduction of the original, like Monoprice's version.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Designed by some former Snell engineers ... First version manufactured in USA ... Second version manufactured in Indonesia

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
MrBoat: Yes that is certainly true. The fact of the matter is that he could go and drop 50K on a system today if he wanted to do so. He is wealthy. The issue is that he doesn't want to spend much more than $500.00. In fact, he wanted to spend considerably less and I was able to convince him that if he wanted a decent speaker, not MIC, he'd have to up his budget, which is why the budget is now $5-600.00 rater than the $2-300.00 he wanted to spend.

I'd like him to up the budget to 1K, but it's not gonna' happen.
Why are you involved at all? He can't make up his mind for such a trivial purchase to him?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
JBL Professional 306P MkII

ETA: Never mind. I had forgotten he had amplification already, but these do sound nice for well under the budget and include amplification.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Since he can come up with $500 today, certainly he could come up with $1000 in a month or 3. Life time speakers are worth saving for. The 'gotta have it now' for $500 is the biggest limitation on this quest.
Give him the money out of your pocket and help him out ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis