M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had been on about this for years. I am always barefoot other than at work or other public places where such practices are not so acceptable. This occurred to me years ago when learning how to avoid getting struck by lightning since us kids were often caught outside in Florida's afternoon summer thunderstorms. We were basically told to avoid trees, and open concrete slabs. Of course, this prompted the question. . .why? Well, then I learned about ground. Was shown the bronze rod that was driven into the earth outside the home, and how the house plumbing was also connected. That prompted even further curiosities, like, how those lightning protector spikes on the church building worked etc. My final question was, how come we don't see dead deer or wildlife all over the place with the amount of lightning we have here. That led to me realizing that every living thing but us, is barefoot. Still no real connection yet, but I was aware, at least.

Oddly enough, some years later I was working on a well pump and the woman who lived there was a very interesting person. She had flown planes for the military in WW2. Not as a fighter pilot, but to move them from one location to the other. Showed me photos of her adventures, medals she had gotten, and some rather famous people she had met. But the most striking thing was she was always barefoot. I thought it was some trivial garden therapy thing she did occasionally or something and I asked her, just to make conversation. She told me she did it because it kept her blood pressure down, and is why she was still so healthy, and how we are the only critter on the planet that insulates ourselves from it.

No real matter to me at any rate because I typically go barefoot anyway. Also, there is nothing better after a long day in work boots, than to get those toasters off and just stand barefoot on that cold terrazzo floor in my home. I can feel the cooling effect moving up my legs in just a few minutes. It's a most wonderful way to start the unwind process after being in what amounts to an oven all day, welding. Cold floor on the bottom, cold beer from the top. Done.

Then I ended up looking this up and was surprised to find there was some rather compelling research being done on the subject and some really interesting findings. Still, my friends think I'm crazy and call me a redneck and such, and my only reply to them being. . ."Perhaps, but you'll never see a barefoot cracker with yeller toenails," and this is true enough and as good a reason as any to kick off the foot armor whenever possible.

I turn myself into the saw-bone every few years and have a physical and bloodwork check. Mostly to see how I am doing as a preventative. My PCP is actually a nurse (very thorough) practitioner, and he's from Turkey. He's young enough to be open minded, and was impressed by my indoor greens garden, and other healthful pursuits. He even said, whatever you are doing, keep doing it. That at 60 years old, my bloodwork was exceptionally problem free, and that I was historically hovering around my ideal BMI. Then I told him I was always barefoot and grounded, along with a healthy, by now predominantly vegetable diet. I gave the brief about how all other living things are grounded so. . .why not? I mean, even if it sounds weird, it costs nothing and hurts nothing and feels good to me. My computer desk is grounded where I rest my feet, and my bed is too, so I even sleep grounded.

Then I come across this article that adds some qualified medical science to the issue, via a link that who of all people, my doctor sends to me. Via our brief conversation on the subject, he also was curious and looked into it. He tells me he is going to suggest it to his patients, with some of the other more holistic helpers he prescribes that usually go along with the medical treatments.

From the National Library of Medicine.
"Grounding appears to improve sleep, normalize the day–night cortisol rhythm, reduce pain, reduce stress, shift the autonomic nervous system from sympathetic toward parasympathetic activation, increase heart rate variability, speed wound healing, and reduce blood viscosity. A summary has been published in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health.4"

Supposedly, inflammation, which is a root of, or symptomatic of many chronic diseases, supposedly cannot easily reside in a negatively charged body.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I had been on about this for years. I am always barefoot other than at work or other public places where such practices are not so acceptable. This occurred to me years ago when learning how to avoid getting struck by lightning since us kids were often caught outside in Florida's afternoon summer thunderstorms. We were basically told to avoid trees, and open concrete slabs. Of course, this prompted the question. . .why? Well, then I learned about ground. Was shown the bronze rod that was driven into the earth outside the home, and how the house plumbing was also connected. That prompted even further curiosities, like, how those lightning protector spikes on the church building worked etc. My final question was, how come we don't see dead deer or wildlife all over the place with the amount of lightning we have here. That led to me realizing that every living thing but us, is barefoot. Still no real connection yet, but I was aware, at least.

Oddly enough, some years later I was working on a well pump and the woman who lived there was a very interesting person. She had flown planes for the military in WW2. Not as a fighter pilot, but to move them from one location to the other. Showed me photos of her adventures, medals she had gotten, and some rather famous people she had met. But the most striking thing was she was always barefoot. I thought it was some trivial garden therapy thing she did occasionally or something and I asked her, just to make conversation. She told me she did it because it kept her blood pressure down, and is why she was still so healthy, and how we are the only critter on the planet that insulates ourselves from it.

No real matter to me at any rate because I typically go barefoot anyway. Also, there is nothing better after a long day in work boots, than to get those toasters off and just stand barefoot on that cold terrazzo floor in my home. I can feel the cooling effect moving up my legs in just a few minutes. It's a most wonderful way to start the unwind process after being in what amounts to an oven all day, welding. Cold floor on the bottom, cold beer from the top. Done.

Then I ended up looking this up and was surprised to find there was some rather compelling research being done on the subject and some really interesting findings. Still, my friends think I'm crazy and call me a redneck and such, and my only reply to them being. . ."Perhaps, but you'll never see a barefoot cracker with yeller toenails," and this is true enough and as good a reason as any to kick off the foot armor whenever possible.

I turn myself into the saw-bone every few years and have a physical and bloodwork check. Mostly to see how I am doing as a preventative. My PCP is actually a nurse (very thorough) practitioner, and he's from Turkey. He's young enough to be open minded, and was impressed by my indoor greens garden, and other healthful pursuits. He even said, whatever you are doing, keep doing it. That at 60 years old, my bloodwork was exceptionally problem free, and that I was historically hovering around my ideal BMI. Then I told him I was always barefoot and grounded, along with a healthy, by now predominantly vegetable diet. I gave the brief about how all other living things are grounded so. . .why not? I mean, even if it sounds weird, it costs nothing and hurts nothing and feels good to me. My computer desk is grounded where I rest my feet, and my bed is too, so I even sleep grounded.

Then I come across this article that adds some qualified medical science to the issue, via a link that who of all people, my doctor sends to me. Via our brief conversation on the subject, he also was curious and looked into it. He tells me he is going to suggest it to his patients, with some of the other more holistic helpers he prescribes that usually go along with the medical treatments.

"Grounding appears to improve sleep, normalize the day–night cortisol rhythm, reduce pain, reduce stress, shift the autonomic nervous system from sympathetic toward parasympathetic activation, increase heart rate variability, speed wound healing, and reduce blood viscosity. A summary has been published in the Journal of Environmental and Public Health.4"

Supposedly, inflammation, which is a root of, or symptomatic of many chronic diseases, supposedly cannot easily reside in a negatively charged body.
I think wildlife dies by lightning strike, but it's hard to see them in sufficient numbers to get an idea of how many. I'm also not sure how well hooves conduct electricity, so whether they're actually grounded most of the time remains to be seen.

I would like to see some studies on the benefits of being barefoot WRT inflammation. The ink makes some of the same points in your post, but he mentions gaining electrons from the Earth, but I think he may have it backward- earthing is a way to make a connection to the ground on the negative side, which would mean that the body's electric charge would be dissipated.

Ever see slo mo video of lightning strikes that started at the ground?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I think wildlife dies by lightning strike, but it's hard to see them in sufficient numbers to get an idea of how many. I'm also not sure how well hooves conduct electricity, so whether they're actually grounded most of the time remains to be seen.

I would like to see some studies on the benefits of being barefoot WRT inflammation. The ink makes some of the same points in your post, but he mentions gaining electrons from the Earth, but I think he may have it backward- earthing is a way to make a connection to the ground on the negative side, which would mean that the body's electric charge would be dissipated.

Ever see slo mo video of lightning strikes that started at the ground?
Right. I hadn't concluded why I didn't see any dead animals, just that it prompted me to look further into grounding being we were the only living thing that wear plastic shoes. At that time, I also remember school lessons and even movies perhaps that told of us being electrical beings. It was just a thought that occurred to me. I think I was around age 11-ish.

I am a welder. I understand the effects and direction of current. In my work, I end up using both directions of current flow, from ground to electrode, electrode to ground etc.

There is even a movie on the subject if you put "Earthing" into youtube. I thought the article link I posted was pretty complete, otherwise, with regard to inflammation and other physiological effects. When we sleep near walls with electrical wires running through them we pick up a measurable amount of EMF. When you ground, you can also measure 0 volts or even slightly negative.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here's a movie on the subject. The issue with ideas like this being, it's too simple. The response I get from most people is regard to how they can't go barefoot because they have extra sensitive/tender feet. lol.

Another friend who was recently diagnosed with prostrate cancer is adding it to his daily regimen, in a "every little bit may help" kind of thing. He remarked that their chiropractor had also been telling them to off the shoes and get grounded. The idea that I was the second time he heard it caused him to look further into it. His wife too, and she reminds him to set those dawgs free.

My friend with cancer works in a high EMF environment at the power plant. Not that this is indicative of anything, but that it's just not necessary, or natural, to walk around charged all the time. How our bodies electrically deal with free radicals is compelling enough to wonder about what our electrical balance should be.

What I take away from it all? No matter what happens to me health wise, I can rule out not being grounded. Secondly, I feel better. I sleep through the night, and usually close to the same position I started at. Whether it be placebo effect or not, an overall sense of well being. Injuries from work don't seem to last like they did. They should last longer now that I am older, especially those involving the lower back. Used to take a week or more to get past a lower back injury. The last one was just two days. I always went barefoot for a few hrs each day, but I never slept grounded before or sat at my desk that way.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Right. I hadn't concluded why I didn't see any dead animals, just that it prompted me to look further into grounding being we were the only living thing that wear plastic shoes. At that time, I also remember school lessons and even movies perhaps that told of us being electrical beings. It was just a thought that occurred to me. I think I was around age 11-ish.

I am a welder. I understand the effects and direction of current. In my work, I end up using both directions of current flow, from ground to electrode, electrode to ground etc.

There is even a movie on the subject if you put "Earthing" into youtube. I thought the article link I posted was pretty complete, otherwise, with regard to inflammation and other physiological effects. When we sleep near walls with electrical wires running through them we pick up a measurable amount of EMF. When you ground, you can also measure 0 volts or even slightly negative.
I want to see a Squirrel wearing Crocs. :)

I used electrode negative the first time I used a MIG welder. Ugliest crap you have ever seen. I really need to fix that, but it's functional, so not a priority.

But if the reading is slightly negative, the charge isn't neutral and voltage is, or could be, present. The saying 'there is balance in the universe' is true, overall- not necessarily true on a local basis.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I want to see a Squirrel wearing Crocs. :)

I used electrode negative the first time I used a MIG welder. Ugliest crap you have ever seen. I really need to fix that, but it's functional, so not a priority.

But if the reading is slightly negative, the charge isn't neutral and voltage is, or could be, present. The saying 'there is balance in the universe' is true, overall- not necessarily true on a local basis.
We just never know. Present, yes, but much less regardless. I show 0 volts right now sitting at this computer with my foot on the bare and grounded crossbar I always put my feet on. Take my feet off and it goes up to about 5.4V.

highfigh

highfigh

We just never know. Present, yes, but much less regardless. I show 0 volts right now sitting at this computer with my foot on the bare and grounded crossbar I always put my feet on. Take my feet off and it goes up to about 5.4V.
That voltage is between your foot and the bar? Well, we are electrical systems.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
That voltage is between your foot and the bar? Well, we are electrical systems.
Apparently, we are walking EMF antennas. Measure yourself at different points where you sit and sleep. Just for the heck of it, and do with it what you will, or not.

ETA: Didn't mean it to sound dismissive.

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Apparently, we are walking EMF antennas. Measure yourself at different points where you sit and sleep. Just for the heck of it, and do with it what you will, or not.

Whole-body antenna? Time to try this out as tin-foil hats don't work. :)

1677251068229.png

highfigh

highfigh

Where does the second lead go WRT "measure yourself"? Is that one hand to the other, or body parts to ground?

As far as EMF antennas- anyone who plays electric guitar has experienced this- touch the grounded parts and the noise can increase or decrease, depending on the wiring in the instrument and the RF sources.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Where does the second lead go WRT "measure yourself"? Is that one hand to the other, or body parts to ground?

As far as EMF antennas- anyone who plays electric guitar has experienced this- touch the grounded parts and the noise can increase or decrease, depending on the wiring in the instrument and the RF sources.
Set to AC, to ground

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since animals are more connected to the earth and the way things work, I would guess they can tell when lightning is in the area and they don't stand around outside waiting to get struck. Part of that "connectedness" they can sense the charge in the air. We don't get so much lightning around here, but I can see and somewhat smell the conditions when it is around, you just need to pay attention to those signs. We had those conditions last night but in my area we didn't have any strikes. Friends in nearby areas said they did.

highfigh

highfigh

Set to AC, to ground
OK- I thought so, but wanted to know what was used as the ground reference. You checked the resistance and voltage between that rod and earth, right?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
OK- I thought so, but wanted to know what was used as the ground reference. You checked the resistance and voltage between that rod and earth, right?
I don't recall but, probably. I don't usually miss any details.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Since animals are more connected to the earth and the way things work, I would guess they can tell when lightning is in the area and they don't stand around outside waiting to get struck. Part of that "connectedness" they can sense the charge in the air. We don't get so much lightning around here, but I can see and somewhat smell the conditions when it is around, you just need to pay attention to those signs. We had those conditions last night but in my area we didn't have any strikes. Friends in nearby areas said they did.
We were perpetually grounded growing up. When lightning conditions were right, the hair on our arms would stand up. Happens a lot when fishing in the boat as well. I recall one time a buddy and I were well out in Tampa bay in a canoe and a TS just came out of nowhere and we ended up abandoning ship and sitting ear deep in the water on the flats until it passed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The body as a whole is not negatively charged. If you are barefoot and struck by lightening you will come off worse than if you had insulated shoes. Going barefoot will increase the current of the charge going to ground and therefore do more damage.

Lightening conductors are misunderstood by almost the entire population.

Lightening conductors are not installed to conduct lightening strikes to ground, they are there to prevent the lightening strike. They do this by the physical phenomenon of brush discharge. Clouds in thunderstorms develop huge electrostatic charges in the millions of volts range. These can discharge cloud to cloud if another cloud has the opposite charge, or they can discharge to ground.

A lightening conductor needs to be placed on the tallest building in the vicinity, which is why church steeples are popular locations.

The lightening conductor allows for electrons to flow up from the Earth and gradually discharge the charged clouds in the vicinity. This causes what is known as an electronic wind, which is audible. This is the principle behind the Ionofane tweeter, which has no moving parts, but will poison you with ozone.

This electronic wind gradually discharges the cloud, and helps prevent the strike in the first place. This not only protects the building with the lightening conductor, but also other buildings in the immediate vicinity.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
The body as a whole is not negatively charged. If you are barefoot and struck by lightening you will come off worse than if you had insulated shoes. Going barefoot will increase the current of the charge going to ground and therefore do more damage.

Lightening conductors are not installed to conduct lightening strikes to ground, they are there to prevent the lightening strike. They do this by the physical phenomenon of brush discharge. Clouds in thunderstorms develop huge electrostatic charges in the millions of volts range. These can discharge cloud to cloud if another cloud has the opposite charge, or they can discharge to ground.

A lightening conductor needs to be placed on the tallest building in the vicinity, which is why church steeples are popular locations.

The lightening conductor allows for electrons to flow up from the Earth and gradually discharge the charged clouds in the vicinity. This causes what is known as an electronic wind, which is audible. This is the principle behind the Ionofane tweeter, which has no moving parts, but will poison you with ozone.

This electronic wind gradually discharges the cloud, and helps prevent the strike in the first place. This not only protects the building with the lightening conductor, but also other buildings in the immediate vicinity.
Definitely worse to be barefoot in a lightning storm. Which is why we were urged to be extra careful. I got struck through an air gap between a galvanized pipe and a galvanized tank I was installing in a garage. The lightning had struck the tall pine that was next to the well. It travelled thru the pipe to me and knocked me on my butt and made me a little woozy for a couple days after. If I had not had work boots on, I may not have survived it.

Still, grounding one's self is harmless and feels good regardless. Anyone who has ever took their shoes off at the shore, or even in the grass can feel it. First thing I do in summer when I get home is kick off the shoes, grab the shorts and go outside and hang out there for awhile and water the garden. It's like a reset for the rest of the evening.

Shoes are unhealthy, especially now with all this memory foam crap that ends up putting pressure on parts of the feet that are otherwise designed to avoid it.

highfigh

highfigh

And the power of lightning wasn't understood by an electrician who wired a house I worked on with a friend- we were doing low voltage installation and as I walked through the foyer, I saw that the electrician had not only run a bundle of Romex in the same stud bay as the lightning suppression cable, he used wire ties to attach his bundle to it.

Was that tweeter used by Voice of Music, in the late-'50s or early-'60s?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

And the power of lightning wasn't understood by an electrician who wired a house I worked on with a friend- we were doing low voltage installation and as I walked through the foyer, I saw that the electrician had not only run a bundle of Romex in the same stud bay as the lightning suppression cable, he used wire ties to attach his bundle to it.

Was that tweeter used by Voice of Music, in the late-'50s or early-'60s?
The speaker I was thinking of was the Ionofane, which was mid sixties. That was the first and a few others have come later.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis