Stacking 10” subs good/bad ?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
how far from the wall can a sub driver be?6” a foot , 2 feet ?more?
One is downfiring, One is front firing both ported . Might sound like an odd question but I’m trying to maximum bass with lowest distortion I can with these wimpy subs . I see it as a temporary solution, until I can get one decent smaller sub to replace them.

Similar wattage same woofer size .
Should I have the front firing woofer fire at the wall or the open room? Ports facing wall?
Downfiring subs can’t be set as front firing right?? I may fit both of I did that on same plane .

Two mediocre subs , jamo better of the two
klh ASW 10-125C, jamo 10” 3.asub3

My best sub won’t fit in this room, so gotta use these or one or the two.
jamo is hooked up right now, klh unused in the garage . o_O :(

Attachments

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
One is downfiring,
802BBDE2-8B05-4DBB-AD02-32E6D64F287C.jpeg
74C67BD4-7CAE-40BE-9A07-9622C260EE71.jpeg
802BBDE2-8B05-4DBB-AD02-32E6D64F287C.jpeg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
how far from the wall can a sub driver be?6” a foot , 2 feet ?more?
One is downfiring, One is front firing both ported . Might sound like an odd question but I’m trying to maximum bass with lowest distortion I can with these wimpy subs . I see it as a temporary solution, until I can get one decent smaller sub to replace them.

Similar wattage same woofer size .
Should I have the front firing woofer fire at the wall or the open room? Ports facing wall?
Downfiring subs can’t be set as front firing right?? I may fit both of I did that on same plane .

Two mediocre subs , jamo better of the two
klh ASW 10-125C, jamo 10” 3.asub3

My best sub won’t fit in this room, so gotta use these or one or the two.
jamo is hooked up right now, klh unused in the garage . o_O :(
Stacking those subs could be a problem. The enclosures vibrate, especially on lighter subs such as those. If you play them hard, eventually the vibration will cause them to walk off each other and fall down. One way to place the top sub to rest on its side, and stop this is to use a rubber grip matt liner between the subs, like this stuff. That should prevent the subs from vibrating off each other. Remember, that should be used between smooth surfaces, so don't use it with the feet side (unless you remove the feet).

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Stacking those subs could be a problem. The enclosures vibrate, especially on lighter subs such as those. If you play them hard, eventually the vibration will cause them to walk off each other and fall down. One way to place the top sub to rest on its side, and stop this is to use a rubber grip matt liner between the subs, like this stuff. That should prevent the subs from vibrating off each other. Remember, that should be used between smooth surfaces, so don't use it with the feet side (unless you remove the feet).
It sounds pretty good so far . :D
Yeah good idea the liner in between subs, I already got the subs level matched the question I can’t answer is phase matching I got no Rew. Should I set them both to the same phase or one to 180?
Or both 0?
The klh has rubber grippers under it as legs , but I can add that Matt for extra grip.
Foot or 18” from corner good ?
First pick before I moved them out 6” further .

Attachments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Both subs' phase should be set to 0 degrees. Regarding distance from backwall, that will cause a difference in the sound, but the only person who can determine what sounds best is yourself since it is your home, so you should put it wherever is sounds best to your ears.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Both subs' phase should be set to 0 degrees. Regarding distance from backwall, that will cause a difference in the sound, but the only person who can determine what sounds best is yourself since it is your home, so you should put it wherever is sounds best to your ears.
How accurate are phone spl meters it says my jamo is peaking around 90-100 decibels. Yet audysee calibration had it at 75 db .
niosh slm meter and sound meter said 102db peak During pink noise.
I gotta gain/phase match both subs I’ll try zero phase so they fire at same time.
89EB1D48-6021-4CDF-A54F-09A703A95133.jpeg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Audyssey calibration wouldn't be measuring peaking, at least last I knew.

I don't know how accurate the phone SPL meter is. I wouldn't expect accuracy on the level of a decent calibrated microphone.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Audyssey calibration wouldn't be measuring peaking, at least last I knew.

I don't know how accurate the phone SPL meter is. I wouldn't expect accuracy on the level of a decent calibrated microphone.
Yeah I gotta buy a decibel meter they come calibrated right , I got no rew or rew mic .
Flipped the Klh ports facing wall.
2391B95D-10B2-4D8D-9196-D6FF980BC079.jpeg
286BAB86-F0D3-422F-B2F1-477C836E5B57.jpeg
54B72DD1-763C-4351-82DF-5E12DDF0CE0C.jpeg

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I concur. My own home theater sub is located close to a corner firing away from the corner. It is not aimed at the listeners. It works well because the sub is pointed toward a large open area that includes our dining room. Not much is relfected from the front of the unit. Since the bass frequencies are not very directional I get very clean bass from my 15 incher without really hearing the source. The environment and your ears are the answer to the question.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I concur. My own home theater sub is located close to a corner firing away from the corner. It is not aimed at the listeners. It works well because the sub is pointed toward a large open area that includes our dining room. Not much is relfected from the front of the unit. Since the bass frequencies are not very directional I get very clean bass from my 15 incher without really hearing the source. The environment and your ears are the answer to the question.
Yeah I set the front firing one the same way , I had one infront of the room before they sound better stacked, one is downfiring ofc. I gotta turn it up more because the sub sitting on top it blocks some sound . One phase is set to half way 90 , the other is 0 degrees .
Odyssey set sub trim to -7. I turned it up to -3
I need trim line lower next time like -9-12 but I gotta turn gain/volume Down on sub like all the way … o_O

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Stacking subs seems to been a success so far once I got the subs spl matched closely enough and phase matched . Doing it by ear I don’t have rew or anything…
Oddly enough I gotta turn turn the bass up for the spectrum app on Netflix is fine post xt 32 calibration??? Hmm

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The down-firing sub seems to have lost some volume from stacking the klh ontop , it’s really hard to calibrate audysee xt32 and get a -10 bass channel reading , then I had to crank it to -2 just to sound loud enough.
So it seems one sub is doing better than the other one .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis