Anthem 1140 (D amp) & (A amp) protect errors

P

pvannimwegen

Audiophyte
I have purchased an Anthem 1140 recently and when everything was connected I was getting a D & A amp protect error and the AVR would shut down. Can anyone tell me if thus is most likely due to speaker wire connection possible issue, or a possible internal amp issue. Contacted Anthem they say it could be a DOA unit.

I'd like to note, that I have changed to speaker wire and bannana plugs from the wall to the AVR and I am currently not getting any amp protect errors.

I need to decide whether to stay with my Anthem or trade it in for the Merantz Cinema 40 which I have on hold.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
There really is not a lot of information provided so difficult to determine. Given the fact that you seemed to fix the issue by changing speaker wire says something.

P

pvannimwegen

Audiophyte
There really is not a lot of information provided so difficult to determine. Given the fact that you seemed to fix the issue by changing speaker wire says something.
Yes I agree with your assesment. The first D amp protect I got seems to have been from my L front speaker. After troubleshooting I found the speaker wire in the attic twisted 1 time around some power romex cables for the recessed light box. May have been the issue but not 100% on it. The A amp error seems to come from my back L/R speakers. If I had 90degree bananna plugs connected at the wall plate end it would go into A amp protect mode. Take the plugs off and connect speaker wire only to wall plate and I did not get an error.

So all that troubleshooting led me to purchase mediabridge all in 1 speaker cables for my 7.1 system. I installed that last night all banana plugs on wall end and AVR end.

P

pvannimwegen

Audiophyte
Yes I agree with your assesment. The first D amp protect I got seems to have been from my L front speaker. After troubleshooting I found the speaker wire in the attic twisted 1 time around some power romex cables for the recessed light box. May have been the issue but not 100% on it. The A amp error seems to come from my back L/R speakers. If I had 90degree bananna plugs connected at the wall plate end it would go into A amp protect mode. Take the plugs off and connect speaker wire only to wall plate and I did not get an error.

So all that troubleshooting led me to purchase mediabridge all in 1 speaker cables for my 7.1 system. I installed that last night all banana plugs on wall end and AVR end.
To add I was using some cheap "Gear it" banana plugs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To add I was using some cheap "Gear it" banana plugs.
As you alluded to, it seems quite possible the left speaker wires had developed a short circuit, but "Contacted Anthem they say it could be a DOA unit " sounded too scarely, why would he say such a thing, did he know something that we don't?

For me, if what you want is an AVR, I would return it and get a Denon AVR-X4800H, that seems every bit like a Cinema40 without HDAMs and cost hundreds of dollars less.

On ASR, a member measured the Cinema 50 that shows results very similar to the X3800H measured by Amir though the member did not measured as much as Amir did, so we can only compare the THD+N part.

However, that's still a good indication that history will likely repeat, such that the Cinema 40 can be compared to the AVR-X4800H, in terms of audio performance, and the two will likely measured about the same, now that Marantz (the C40) has upgraded the HDAM and have done something with the buffer, to allow its distortions to remain as low as Denon's, even with the HDAM in the loop.

If you like the Marantz look though (as I do), then go for the Cinema 40 that probably would still cost the same or less than the Anthem.

The big advantages with D+M are that they have a very good track record on reliability, much more bells and whistles (some may not matter to you) such as on screen info display, DEQ, DV just to name a few. Oh, if you have 4 subs, you can time align them whereas the Anthem can only align two subs. Anthem has the auto phase, but while it sounds good on paper, in actual use I found Audyssey does a better job as long as you spend a couple hours tweaking with the $20 app and the free UI (Ratbuddyssey).

At the minimum, I would request a replacement, though that may be tough if the unit appears to be working perfectly now.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As you alluded to, it seems quite possible the left speaker wires had developed a short circuit, but "Contacted Anthem they say it could be a DOA unit " sounded too scarely, why would he say such a thing, did he know something that we don't?

For me, if what you want is an AVR, I would return it and get a Denon AVR-X4800H, that seems every bit like a Cinema40 without HDAMs and cost hundreds of dollars less.

On ASR, a member measured the Cinema 50 that shows results very similar to the X3800H measured by Amir though the member did not measured as much as Amir did, so we can only compare the THD+N part.

However, that's still a good indication that history will likely repeat, such that the Cinema 40 can be compared to the AVR-X4800H, in terms of audio performance, and the two will likely measured about the same, now that Marantz (the C40) has upgraded the HDAM and have done something with the buffer, to allow its distortions to remain as low as Denon's, even with the HDAM in the loop.

If you like the Marantz look though (as I do), then go for the Cinema 40 that probably would still cost the same or less than the Anthem.

The big advantages with D+M are that they have a very good track record on reliability, much more bells and whistles (some may not matter to you) such as on screen info display, DEQ, DV just to name a few. Oh, if you have 4 subs, you can time align them whereas the Anthem can only align two subs. Anthem has the auto phase, but while it sounds good on paper, in actual use I found Audyssey does a better job as long as you spend a couple hours tweaking with the $20 app and the free UI (Ratbuddyssey).

At the minimum, I would request a replacement, though that may be tough if the unit appears to be working perfectly now.
I am an Anthem fan, obviously, but I agree, you still might want to check with Anthem about replacement. I have demo'd the 1140, and If my dealer had stock, might have gone back to AVR instead of the pre/pro, so I like it a lot.

The Marantz is damn sexy, no doubt. I just purchased the 40n Integrated for my 2-channel setup. Waiting on delivery. As Peng pointed out the 4800h would probably perform simmilar to the Marantz for less money, but if I had to look at it every day, I would go Anthem or Marantz :D. Denon needs a cosmetic upgrade next series.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am an Anthem fan, obviously, but I agree, you still might want to check with Anthem about replacement. I have demo'd the 1140, and had my dealer had stock, might have gone back to AVR instead of the pre/pro, so I like it a lot.

The Marantz is damn sexy, no doubt. I just purchased the 40n Integrated for my 2-channel setup. Waiting on delivery. As Peng pointed out the 4800h would probably perform simmilar to the Marantz for less money, but if I had to look at it every day, I would go Anthem or Marantz :D. Denon needs a cosmetic upgrade next series.
Agreed, funny thing is, I often missed that porthole. I don't have problem leaving the flap door open all the time, dust gets in whether it is left opened or closed all the time.

P

pvannimwegen

Audiophyte
Thank you fellas! It hard because when listening to the Anthem AVR next to a Merantz 8015, the Anthem was clearly a better sounding unit to my ear. I have always had Merantz before purchasing my Anthem.

I have the ability to replace the Anthem with the C40 next week when it arrives. My last Merantz lasted 12+ years.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you fellas! It hard because when listening to the Anthem AVR next to a Merantz 8015, the Anthem was clearly a better sounding unit to my ear. I have always had Merantz before purchasing my Anthem.

I have the ability to replace the Anthem with the C40 next week when it arrives. My last Merantz lasted 12+ years.
If you are convinced of what you "heard", then you should stick with the Anthem. I put "..." because I assume you likely did not do a tightly controlled AB blind listening test. Anything sighted listening comparison sessions don't mean a whole lot, but you heard what you heard so I just think if your priority is perceived sound quality, then if you end up with the Cinema 40 you may suffer from buyer's remorse.

The Anthem does have 3 year warranty on AVRs, so if the issue did not return by then, it should be a non issue. For people who believe in the importance of getting the lowest possible distortion, Anthem is the best choice at the moment, because Denon and Marantz have downgraded the DAC IC that has 13 to 14 dB higher THD+N than the one they used before the AKM factory fire. Anthem had to make a switch too from the same AKM IC D+M used before to a different IC, but they went for one made by ESS that is comparable in specs to AKM's, whereas D+M went backward to a TI IC that has much poorer THD+N specs, unless you go for the Denon A1H, that got the DAC IC upgraded to a top notch one. Most believe the better DACS just look better on paper, but..

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If you are convinced of what you "heard", then you should stick with the Anthem. I put "..." because I assume you likely did not do a tightly controlled AB blind listening test. Anything sighted listening comparison sessions don't mean a whole lot, but you heard what you heard so I just think if your priority is perceived sound quality, then if you end up with the Cinema 40 you may suffer from buyer's remorse.

The Anthem does have 3 year warranty on AVRs, so if the issue did not return by then, it should be a non issue. For people who believe in the importance of getting the lowest possible distortion, Anthem is the best choice at the moment, because Denon and Marantz have downgraded the DAC IC that has 13 to 14 dB higher THD+N than the one they used before the AKM factory fire. Anthem had to make a switch too from the same AKM IC D+M used before to a different IC, but they went for one made by ESS that is comparable in specs to AKM's, whereas D+M went backward to a TI IC that has much poorer THD+N specs, unless you go for the Denon A1H, that got the DAC IC upgraded to a top notch one. Most believe the better DACS just look better on paper, but..
Funny how a much more expensive AVR/AVP always sounds better, especially if you've already bought it. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny how a much more expensive AVR/AVP always sounds better, especially if you've already bought it. :)
That is probably almost universally true!

I have seen a few A vs B video, while I like this guy's presentation overall, I do not believe he actually heard the difference he mentioned in any of his videos, below is just one example:

Anthem AVM90 vs Anthem AVM70! Is the AVM90 WORTH IT? Demos, Measurements & Comparisons! - YouTube

And then this very example:
In this one, noticed what the other gentlemen, Erin and the other one (forgot his name) said too, Erin didn't say a thing if I remember right, because I think he knows better..

AVR vs Separates - Can You Hear a Difference? - Bing video

Youthman himself, cited what he heard better sound from the separate, the lowly 7706, than the excellent top notch Marantz SR8015. The believe separates use better parts and circuitry...blabalaba I really don't remember his exact words. He didn't know the AV7706 uses exactly the same DSP, used in the same year (even precious years to 2017) Marantz and Denon AVRs. So he messed by using better pars (DSPs) to explain why he heard so much better "separation". So, in this case it isn't just price but also his expectation that "separates" must sound better.

If I remember @Cos was very impressed with the Anthem AVR in the dealer's demo room that he would have been okay with it too instead of the AVM70.

My point is, very often (not always obviously), it's like they said, it's all in their heads!!

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I think the cost, the perception of rarity, aesthetics, brand-prestige, compatibility and reliability, the lab measurements, warranty /support, and whether we already own the components all play a role.

We all want the best things for ourselves. We all hope we make the correct decisions in life.

There are many examples of people saying “I went from brand-A to brand-B and it is much better”. Is it a “fair” or “true” statement? I think the person truly believes it and thinks it’s fair. But I think it is also fair to point out these beliefs.

That’s why we have forums. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gent, to my surprise, the C40 actually has a higher list price than the MRX1140 now.

Another thing to point out, the Anthem' s rated output for the surround and height channels are 60 W, less than 50% of the main channel's 140 W. TLSGuy won't like that for sure, but he doesn't like avrs anyway.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
That is probably almost universally true!

I have seen a few A vs B video, while I like this guy's presentation overall, I do not believe he actually heard the difference he mentioned in any of his videos, below is just one example:

Anthem AVM90 vs Anthem AVM70! Is the AVM90 WORTH IT? Demos, Measurements & Comparisons! - YouTube

And then this very example:
In this one, noticed what the other gentlemen, Erin and the other one (forgot his name) said too, Erin didn't say a thing if I remember right, because I think he knows better..

AVR vs Separates - Can You Hear a Difference? - Bing video

Youthman himself, cited what he heard better sound from the separate, the lowly 7706, than the excellent top notch Marantz SR8015. The believe separates use better parts and circuitry...blabalaba I really don't remember his exact words. He didn't know the AV7706 uses exactly the same DSP, used in the same year (even precious years to 2017) Marantz and Denon AVRs. So he messed by using better pars (DSPs) to explain why he heard so much better "separation". So, in this case it isn't just price but also his expectation that "separates" must sound better.

If I remember @Cos was very impressed with the Anthem AVR in the dealer's demo room that he would have been okay with it too instead of the AVM70.

My point it, very often (not always obviously), it's like they said, it's all in their heads!!
I was uber impressed, that being said, the demo theater room was using the Amps from the 1140 to drive a focal Utopia setup. I have the facebook page of the speaker order they used.

Facebook

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis