Polk HTS 12 Subwoofer Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have the HTS10 and would like to know people's thoughts on that sub... I like it but was considering selling it and going with an HSU sub. Do you think it would it be worth my time and money to do so? My HTS10 is currently being used in a 5.1 system with a pair of S60 fronts, S10 rears and a S35 center. All driven by a Denon 3500H. Thanks for any feedback.
Which model HSU sub?

Why are you wanting to upgrade what are you hoping to gain what are you looking for more output deeper extension higher midbass?

What is the room size the HSU sub is going into?

Since you already enjoy the Polk some information will be helpful to see if it's worth the price to upgrade and what model we could recommend for you.

N

Newfang

Enthusiast
Which model HSU sub?

Why are you wanting to upgrade what are you hoping to gain what are you looking for more output deeper extension higher midbass?

What is the room size the HSU sub is going into?

Since you already enjoy the Polk some information will be helpful to see if it's worth the price to upgrade and what model we could recommend for you.
So the room size is 13' wide X 15' long. The HTS10 is currently along the right wall about midway due to position of couch/furniture, etc. It's a tough room.

The HSU models I was considering were the VTF-2 MK5 or VTF-3 MK5 HP. This would only being contingent on me selling the HTS10.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So the room size is 13' wide X 15' long. The HTS10 is currently along the right wall about midway due to position of couch/furniture, etc. It's a tough room.

The HSU models I was considering were the VTF-2 MK5 or VTF-3 MK5 HP. This would only being contingent on me selling the HTS10.
Ok the Polk is a nice sub and as Shady mentioned they measure very well for the money.

But that 10inch Polk will get blown out of the water by either one of those subs. In every way output extension midbass that's not talking trash on the Polk those HSU are that good.

The VTF-2 would do great but since your getting a discount by flipping the Polk I'd go with the VTF-3. Buy the absolutely best sub you can and then if you want more buy another one of that model later.

I guarantee you that Polk is a good sub but the VTF-3 is going to rock your world.

N

Newfang

Enthusiast
Yeah, I figured that would be the case. I'm not unhappy with the Polk HTS10 but I'm sure the HSU subs are far better. Like I said, it's contingent on me selling the Polk anyway. I am currently trying to bundle a HTS10 and a pair of S50s for $500 right now. If I can move those, I'll spring for the HSU. Would the VTF-3 be overkill for that size room? I really don't have the space for multi sub.

S

stansbca

Audiophyte
I have the HTS-10 in a very small living room. I got it from a work rewards program after initially getting a definitive technologies sub (from the same program-- only two available) which was atrocious beyond words.

Having sold the old Polk PSW subs a lifetime ago while employed by Circuit City, I wasn't expecting much. That is doubly true with the sub on my reference system being a DIRAC-controlled Rythmik, which I believe to be the best sub I've ever heard at any price, period.

I was quite shocked by how good this Polk is. It is not the Rythmik, but it is more than adequate for this little room, doesn't call attention to itself, and looks nice. It's a very notable step up from budget friendly subs, like the Dayton 10s I used to have. I wasn't expecting that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok the Polk is a nice sub and as Shady mentioned they measure very well for the money.

But that 10inch Polk will get blown out of the water by either one of those subs. In every way output extension midbass that's not talking trash on the Polk those HSU are that good.

The VTF-2 would do great but since your getting a discount by flipping the Polk I'd go with the VTF-3. Buy the absolutely best sub you can and then if you want more buy another one of that model later.

I guarantee you that Polk is a good sub but the VTF-3 is going to rock your world.
Some just don't need subs with higher capabilities like some others do :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have the HTS-10 in a very small living room. I got it from a work rewards program after initially getting a definitive technologies sub (from the same program-- only two available) which was atrocious beyond words.

Having sold the old Polk PSW subs a lifetime ago while employed by Circuit City, I wasn't expecting much. That is doubly true with the sub on my reference system being a DIRAC-controlled Rythmik, which I believe to be the best sub I've ever heard at any price, period.

I was quite shocked by how good this Polk is. It is not the Rythmik, but it is more than adequate for this little room, doesn't call attention to itself, and looks nice. It's a very notable step up from budget friendly subs, like the Dayton 10s I used to have. I wasn't expecting that.
I love my Rythmiks which model did you get?

S

stansbca

Audiophyte
I love my Rythmiks which model did you get?
Just the L12. Speaking to the ethics of the company, I called them and asked about the L12 vs. F12 for the reasonably small room it's in. He told me I'd never hear a difference at any reasonable (or even unreasonable) listening volume. I've measured flat response (after DIRAC) into the high single digits Hz range with it corner-loaded. Practically, in that room, it has unlimited power and extension regardless of the music I feed it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Just the L12. Speaking to the ethics of the company, I called them and asked about the L12 vs. F12 for the reasonably small room it's in. He told me I'd never hear a difference at any reasonable (or even unreasonable) listening volume. I've measured flat response (after DIRAC) into the high single digits Hz range with it corner-loaded. Practically, in that room, it has unlimited power and extension regardless of the music I feed it.
Yeah I'm in San Antonio about an hour and a half from them so I picked my FV18's up from they're store. I totally know where your coming from on they're good character.

When you have one of the company owners climbing on top of your truck and the boxes to secure extra straps in after I thoroughly strapped them in and helped me load them up even though I was good. I knew I made the right choice

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis