HDMI issue with Sony TV

D

daking0007

Audiophyte
Hi, I did a setup for tactile transducer in my sofa. After 3 years, I am starting to have issues with the HDMI from my tv.

TV model is: XBR-65X900H

Issue: I am noticing that no vibration in the transducers when playing from all HDMI sources once in a while. The only way to fix the issue is to do a power cycle on the TV.
Because I had another identical setup at the cottage, I've tried replacing all components and cables between the TV and the transducers, including the transducers without success.
Could it be the HDMI module starting to be finicky? When experiencing the issue, it is still working fine with Netflix or Prime which are already loaded on the TV and not using the HDMI input.

I've attached a diagram of my setup. It's not including the brand and model but I think it's irrelevant (other than the TV) since the issue seem to be originating from the TV on HDMI only.

If you know the Bose Accoustimass system, it is only connecting to the Home Theater amp using the front, center et surround speakers output to the back of the subwoofer. The Sub out from the HT amp is not used. Therefore it is used to go to my digital amp to feed the transducers. I really like the setup and the sofa is vibrating a lot!! It's very fun.

Anyone have an idea or want to discuss the HDMI issue, I would like to find out why it is acting up after 2-3 years.

If you want to replicate this setup, by all means, enjoy!!
Phil

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I did a setup for tactile transducer in my sofa. After 3 years, I am starting to have issues with the HDMI from my tv.

TV model is: XBR-65X900H

Issue: I am noticing that no vibration in the transducers when playing from all HDMI sources once in a while. The only way to fix the issue is to do a power cycle on the TV.
Because I had another identical setup at the cottage, I've tried replacing all components and cables between the TV and the transducers, including the transducers without success.
Could it be the HDMI module starting to be finicky? When experiencing the issue, it is still working fine with Netflix or Prime which are already loaded on the TV and not using the HDMI input.

I've attached a diagram of my setup. It's not including the brand and model but I think it's irrelevant (other than the TV) since the issue seem to be originating from the TV on HDMI only.

If you know the Bose Accoustimass system, it is only connecting to the Home Theater amp using the front, center et surround speakers output to the back of the subwoofer. The Sub out from the HT amp is not used. Therefore it is used to go to my digital amp to feed the transducers. I really like the setup and the sofa is vibrating a lot!! It's very fun.

Anyone have an idea or want to discuss the HDMI issue, I would like to find out why it is acting up after 2-3 years.

If you want to replicate this setup, by all means, enjoy!!
Phil
Are you sure that the TV output is set to multichannel audio? Somehow the 0.1 channel is getting lost. That looks like an old set up and there may be an issue with compatibility with newer versions of HDMI.

D

daking0007

Audiophyte
Are you sure that the TV output is set to multichannel audio? Somehow the 0.1 channel is getting lost. That looks like an old set up and there may be an issue with compatibility with newer versions of HDMI.
I don't see an option for multichannel in the TV settings. Also, confusing that the issue is suddenly happening after 2-3 years of usage. One would think that it's either an issue or it isn't. I hate intermittent issue LOL.

Thanks for your input.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I don't see an option for multichannel in the TV settings. Also, confusing that the issue is suddenly happening after 2-3 years of usage. One would think that it's either an issue or it isn't. I hate intermittent issue LOL.

Thanks for your input.
What is the

Thanks for your input.
RTFM! Go under audio settings, and go to output. If you are using an optical cable, then you must select Dolby Digital, if you want to use those shakers.

We need to know what the TV is connected to, as that device will also have to have the correct settings.

Last edited:
D

daking0007

Audiophyte
What is the model of the "Movie Theater Amp?"
Both my Movie Theatre Amp are Sony, same as the TV.

I think I would have the same issue regardless of the AMP.... when the issue is happening, it's only using the HDMI source of the TV, not Netflix with is embedded in the smart apps.

D

daking0007

Audiophyte
What is the

RTFM! Go under audio settings, and go to output. If you are using an optical cable, then you must select Dolby Digital, if you want to use those shakers.

We need to know what the TV is connected to, as that device will also have to have the correct settings.
The only reason there is a HT amp is to use the Sub out to redirect it to te transducers. I'll play with the audio settings in the TV. I see Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital and also some option for compress audio.

I feel it is strange that it is now an issue but it wasn't for 3 years.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The only reason there is a HT amp is to use the Sub out to redirect it to te transducers. I'll play with the audio settings in the TV. I see Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital and also some option for compress audio.

I feel it is strange that it is now an issue but it wasn't for 3 years.
The fact it wasn't an issue for three years, was just pure dumb luck.

All these systems have to have correct audio settings to work the way you want. One wrong setting and you are right up the creek and out of luck.

The amp is important as both the TV and that amp what ever it is have to have the correct settings. Input and output settings have to match and be correct, or it will NOT work the way you want. I have no idea why you want to keep the unit the TV is connected to a state secret. If you withhold vital information we can not help you.
Nothing is plug and play anymore, no matter how much you wish that were so.

Your system is dumb to your wishes and desires and the system is your master and not you.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would say that the TV is possibly sending a stereo signal out at times. If your AV receiver (some random Sony unit?) is not set to pull off the lows from the main L/R stereo channels, then it won't feed bass to the subwoofer output. This is one of the first places I would look.

Set your main speakers to small and set your subwoofer output to LFE+Mains. This will ensure that your AVR is pushing audio properly to the LFE (subwoofer) output of the receiver.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seems 2.0 is coming from externally connected devices through TV and, if “Sony Amp” is in Direct mode, nothing will go to sub pre out. So, a surround mode would need to be selected for signal to sub pre out. The model number of the “Sony amp” and some settings information would be very helpful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seems 2.0 is coming from externally connected devices through TV and, if “Sony Amp” is in Direct mode, nothing will go to sub pre out. So, a surround mode would need to be selected for signal to sub pre out. The model number of the “Sony amp” and some settings information would be very helpful.
I would say essential. I did read his TV manual, and the TV will only output a sub signal via optical cable if Dolby Digital is selected. By using an optical cable he is very limited with that TV. There are many more options available via eARC. So we are dealing with a set with severe limitations from the get go. Not knowing what the TV is connected to, makes it impossible to reply to his question completely. He is fixated on his TV being the problem. However it takes two the tango as they say.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, without more info, it's hard to figure it out. Different TVs can and will do different things with incoming signals from externally connected devices and connected processors/receivers will do something to them as well based on their settings. Since Smart app content is working, outputting DD 5.1 over optical, then I'm guessing 2.0 is being output for the audio of externally connected devices and the "Sony amp" is in Direct mode. But, that's just a guess based on limited information. If it all worked and suddenly does not, it seems a settings change has taken place.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis