Polk HTS 12 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
900x450b.jpg
While Audioholics has reviewed many loudspeakers from the popular brand Polk, we have never reviewed any subwoofers from them even though Polk subs are one of the most common and widespread brands out there. One reason for that is that most of the subwoofers from Polk are relatively entry-level models, and we don’t normally deal with the lower-end models since our readership is more interested in higher-performance audio equipment. However, Polk does have a model that, on paper, looks like it could have fairly good performance, and we have decided to give it a closer look since we have been dealing with a plethora of subs around the same price range. The HTS 12 subwoofer was released around 2017, so it isn’t exactly a new model, but it is still very relevant because it is still being bought in large quantities and has found its way into thousands of homes. It is a popular sub, but what does it bring to the table amidst this highly competitive price range? Read our full review to find out…

READ: Polk Audio HTS 12 Subwoofer Review

Last edited by a moderator:
X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
That did better than I expected. Not to say Polk makes bad products, but their budget subs are really not very impressive. Happy to see this can be a solid recommendation for the price, especially as SVS and such have crept up in price.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
I think I recall hearing in one of the Audioholics and Sound United videos where the SU demo area had 4 of these connected (not sure what show it was, probably in LV). Seems like a more interesting possibility to use 4 HTS 12s now that Denon and Marantz have the 4 sub outs on the newest AVRs. Looks like they are often priced at $450. $1800 for a full set would seem like an interesting prospect for some.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
While Audioholics has reviewed many loudspeakers from the popular brand Polk, we have never reviewed any subwoofers from them even though Polk subs are one of the most common and widespread brands out there. One reason for that is that most of the subwoofers from Polk are relatively entry-level models, and we don’t normally deal with the lower-end models since our readership is more interested in higher-performance audio equipment. However, Polk does have a model that, on paper, looks like it could have fairly good performance, and we have decided to give it a closer look since we have been dealing with a plethora of subs around the same price range. The HTS 12 subwoofer was released around 2017, so it isn’t exactly a new model, but it is still very relevant because it is still being bought in large quantities and has found its way into thousands of homes. It is a popular sub, but what does it bring to the table amidst this highly competitive price range? Read our full review to find out…

READ: Polk Audio HTS 12 Subwoofer Review
Really good writeup Shady. Its impressive what they did with DSP and a 200 watt amp on that box size.

Also wise of them to focus on 30hz and above

Wish they would put a little more money and make a higher performing sub. They obviously can do it.

I believe Klipsch is putting a higher performing sub from what I've heard

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Really good writeup Shady. Its impressive what they did with DSP and a 200 watt amp on that box size.

Also wise of them to focus on 30hz and above

Wish they would put a little more money and make a higher performing sub. They obviously can do it.

I believe Klipsch is putting a higher performing sub from what I've heard
Polk can make a deeper digging sub easily, but they probably don't think enough people would buy it to justify the expenses of putting it out to market. It would have to be pretty large.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Polk can make a deeper digging sub easily, but they probably don't think enough people would buy it to justify the expenses of putting it out to market. It would have to be pretty large.
I kindoff think they are underestimating us audio nuts. I mean we will spend Good money on they're reserve and legend series of speakers. What makes them think we wouldn't spend the money on a sub that keeps up with those speakers performance?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I kindoff think they are underestimating us audio nuts. I mean we will spend Good money on they're reserve and legend series of speakers. What makes them think we wouldn't spend the money on a sub that keeps up with those speakers performance?
Historically, large subs have only been a niche market for some audio enthusiasts. Most people don't want a large sub in their house. Polk wants to cater to as wide of a consumer base as possible. When they launch a product, it's something they want to sell by the tens of thousands. In that sense, making a sub that is as large as a mini-fridge is a big risk.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then there are two-ch audionuts who don't want more than an 8 inch sub, if at all. Many just won't spend nearly as much on a sub than they will some fancy bookshelves and integrated amp (without particular provisions for subs too) let alone gear to properly integrate....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Historically, large subs have only been a niche market for some audio enthusiasts. Most people don't want a large sub in their house. Polk wants to cater to as wide of a consumer base as possible. When they launch a product, it's something they want to sell by the tens of thousands. In that sense, making a sub that is as large as a mini-fridge is a big risk.
Well they wouldn't have to make it as large as a mini sub though right? I mean if they could squeeze that much performance out of that box with a 200 watt amp couldn't they go just a bit bigger and put in a better amp and use DSP to get them they're?

Look at what RSL pulled off with there version 2. 10 inch sub and it extends really great for its size with great all around sound. I was thinking more like a PB 2000 pro or at least a 1000 pro size. Not a super sub something that just hits 20hz. I've owned Polk gear and hang out on they're forums and trust me there's a lot of Polk heads out they're that would go nuts over that.

When I spoke with them about subs they were always pushing me to SVS HSU and every other solid ID brand.

I'm wondering but you know the industry better so I know your right. I just remember really wanting a polk sub to match my speakers and being really disappointed in what they were offering

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well they wouldn't have to make it as large as a mini sub though right? I mean if they could squeeze that much performance out of that box with a 200 watt amp couldn't they go just a bit bigger and put in a better amp and use DSP to get them they're?

Look at what RSL pulled off with there version 2. 10 inch sub and it extends really great for its size with great all around sound. I was thinking more like a PB 2000 pro or at least a 1000 pro size. Not a super sub something that just hits 20hz. I've owned Polk gear and hang out on they're forums and trust me there's a lot of Polk heads out they're that would go nuts over that.

When I spoke with them about subs they were always pushing me to SVS HSU and every other solid ID brand.

I'm wondering but you know the industry better so I know your right. I just remember really wanting a polk sub to match my speakers and being really disappointed in what they were offering
A big consideration there is the distribution....Polk aims towards the big box stores, RSL is consumer direct for the most part. Polk has muscle but exercises it where it sees max benefit, which isn't to satisfy the real subaholics around here :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
A big consideration there is the distribution....Polk aims towards the big box stores, RSL is consumer direct for the most part. Polk has muscle but exercises it where it sees max benefit, which isn't to satisfy the real subaholics around here :)
Yeah that's true you make a great point Lovin

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
What would be the effect of 4 of these on the frequency response? Any better below 30hz? I understand multi subs provide more uniform response and an overall gain in dB. Just not sure what if anything they would provide for lower frequency output.

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
What would be the effect of 4 of these on the frequency response? Any better below 30hz? I understand multi subs provide more uniform response and an overall gain in dB. Just not sure what if anything they would provide for lower frequency output.
More subs do not extend the response, they improve headroom and help to combat modal problems.
If they were sealed you could simply DSP out any upper-bass rise in-room, allowing room-gain to shore up the low-end and correct flat to there, but since these have a port your absolute extension will still mostly be limited by the tuning frequency, even if room-gain helps to extend the response a bit.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

lovinthehd makes a good point, and on top of that, I would say that Polk certainly could have tuned the HTS 12 to dig deeper, but it would come at the cost of a lot of headroom above 40Hz. They choose the trade-offs that they did because they thought that is what would make for the most satisfying sub for the most people at that price point. Yes, they could shore up the headroom by giving it a more powerful amp, but the gains for increasing amp power are small for the cost increase. Plus, they would need to redesign the driver to handle the additional wattage as well as the additional extension, and that means it needs to be much more expensive. Pretty soon, the cost of this subwoofer is multiplying. I would guess that aiming for an additional 5Hz of extension without increasing size while preserving the same dynamic range and low distortion profile would double the cost of that sub which puts it out of reach for a lot more people.

C

Chesapeake HT

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the info guys. Glad I’ve got the PB3000 then, it digs deep enough for me. (Goal is to add a second one this year.) Hopefully another will find your input helpful in their subwoofer decision making.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When you say “Polk”, you mean Massimo-Sound United (MSU), right? :D

Even if “Polk” wanted to make a bigger more expensive sub, MSU (who owns B&W, Classe, Marantz, Denon, Polk, DefTech) probably won’t let them - MSU already has a big expensive sub - the $6K B&W DB1D dual 12” subwoofer:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When you say “Polk”, you mean Massimo-Sound United (MSU), right? :D

Even if “Polk” wanted to make a bigger more expensive sub, MSU (who owns B&W, Classe, Marantz, Denon, Polk, DefTech) probably won’t let them - MSU already has a big expensive sub - the $6K B&W DB1D dual 12” subwoofer:

I don't know how the brands are managed by Masimo as far as competing products....they still have Denon and Marantz with similar models....but B&W's $6k subwoofer doesn't appeal to this subaholic at all, and a bit out of the general Polk customer's budget too (and probably won't be in as many BB stores as the Polk HTS)....but do wonder if Polk might come out with something matched at least aesthetically to their upper tier speaker lines.....

N

Newfang

Enthusiast
I have the HTS10 and would like to know people's thoughts on that sub... I like it but was considering selling it and going with an HSU sub. Do you think it would it be worth my time and money to do so? My HTS10 is currently being used in a 5.1 system with a pair of S60 fronts, S10 rears and a S35 center. All driven by a Denon 3500H. Thanks for any feedback.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis