Yamaha YPAO Crossover on speakers

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I have a Yamaha RX ADVENTAGE A6A.

When I ran the calibration with YPAO it put my speakers on all different crossovers. I was wandering should I leave this how it was set by the receiver or should I bring them all to 80hz

For example my PSB Stratus C5 has a frequency response of 50-23,000 Hz (#3dB) the YPAO Has it at 100Hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Experiment, I wouldn't base it just on the frequency response of your speakers, tho. I generally cross 80 or higher, with more capable speakers than yours....

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
Experiment, I wouldn't base it just on the frequency response of your speakers, tho. I generally cross 80 or higher, with more capable speakers than yours....
Thank you. I’m so confused trying to learn a little.
I really appreciate your advice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you. I’m so confused trying to learn a little.
I really appreciate your advice.
Does it sound good with YPAO settings? Give it some time would be my suggestion. There's a lot to learn to the point of
alicegif.gif

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
Does it sound good with YPAO settings? Give it some time would be my suggestion. There's a lot to learn to the point of
View attachment 59670
Well, I will honestly say I may not have the ears to know what to look for in terms of quality sound, but I will say that I was very impressed with watching a few movies. I didn’t hear anything that sounded bad.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't think audiophilia relates to hearing skills, it's much more about reproduction hardware consuming than anything. Your ears should be able to tell you what basically sounds good, tho. Now when you hear some speakers that are even better than yours, well......

Sounds like it's working well.

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
Don't think audiophilia relates to hearing skills, it's much more about reproduction hardware consuming than anything. Your ears should be able to tell you what basically sounds good, tho. Now when you hear some speakers that are even better than yours, well......

Sounds like it's working well.
Thank you. I really appreciate your advice.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Why do they tune big speakers so low to 40hz or so if everyone is x over at 80-100?
isn’t there a lot of wasted mid bass output?
I really can’t tell a difference between 60-80 on my fronts but 80 is prob best .6” woofers.

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
Why do they tune big speakers so low to 40hz or so if everyone is x over at 80-100?
I really can’t tell a difference between 60-80 on my fronts but 80 is prob best .6” woofers.
I was thinking to s as me thing.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It makes the settings this way because its trying to adjust for peaks/dips in sound. It looks at the response curve and adjusts based on the performance of each speaker based on what it detects.

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
A lot (most) of those speakers that dig deep are reflex (ported), with the associated phase shifts, which complicates blending with a sub. As j-garcia pointed out, YPAO is wrestling with the resulting response. Applying the hpf an octave higher than their inherent roll off sidesteps that particular puddle, as well as reducing modulation distortion.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Because not all users want a subwoofer and if they actually do well down to 40Hz in testing, they probably don't need one very much.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Because not all users want a subwoofer and if they actually do well down to 40Hz in testing, they probably don't need one very much.
I see so that and 2ch listening mode explains the low tuning? Which is useless for home theater as almost everyone uses a sub, rendering the low tuning just pointless?
O well can’t win it all.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I see so that and 2ch listening mode explains the low tuning? Which is useless for home theater as almost everyone uses a sub, rendering the low tuning just pointless?
O well can’t win it all.
There's no requirement for someone to use a sub, for the sub to be a certain size or anything else. AVRs have the ability to send audio to high and low bands if needed, with adjustment up and down as needed or wanted. Most speakers don't actually go as low at a useful level as their specs show and many mis-interpret the specs to mean that it will be seamless, it will slam and it will sound realistic. Many speaker specs show great low end, but the range from lower mids to mid-bass and bass often sounds like crap when using speakers that come from well-known brands.

The room determines the needs, the drivers determine the design and these are very important- whatever the user wants, they can't ignore the realities of the equipment and the listening room.

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
A lot (most) of those speakers that dig deep are reflex (ported), with the associated phase shifts, which complicates blending with a sub. As j-garcia pointed out, YPAO is wrestling with the resulting response. Applying the hpf an octave higher than their inherent roll off sidesteps that particular puddle, as well as reducing modulation distortion.
So should I leave alone

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've done it also, when I felt that my previous pre/pro was setting the x-over very high. If you lower the x-over, it will give some overlap in the range where the difference from calibrated is. That range will be uncalibrated, so there is no telling if it will sound good or not. When I switched to my current pre which has Audessey Multi-EQ, the x-over is a bit lower than before, but still higher than I expected. When I listen to it as is now though, I like it and only adjust the sub level for music vs. movies (calibrated for music, +3dB for movies).

I recommend leaving it as is for a while and see if you like it or not before changing it.

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
I've done it also, when I felt that my previous pre/pro was setting the x-over very high. If you lower the x-over, it will give some overlap in the range where the difference from calibrated is. That range will be uncalibrated, so there is no telling if it will sound good or not. When I switched to my current pre which has Audessey Multi-EQ, the x-over is a bit lower than before, but still higher than I expected. When I listen to it as is now though, I like it and only adjust the sub level for music vs. movies (calibrated for music, +3dB for movies).

I recommend leaving it as is for a while and see if you like it or not before changing it.
Thank you. I will leave it for now.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
There's no requirement for someone to use a sub, for the sub to be a certain size or anything else. AVRs have the ability to send audio to high and low bands if needed, with adjustment up and down as needed or wanted. Most speakers don't actually go as low at a useful level as their specs show and many mis-interpret the specs to mean that it will be seamless, it will slam and it will sound realistic. Many speaker specs show great low end, but the range from lower mids to mid-bass and bass often sounds like crap when using speakers that come from well-known brands.

The room determines the needs, the drivers determine the design and these are very important- whatever the user wants, they can't ignore the realities of the equipment and the listening room.
What about using a cheap 10” sub with towers is it best to set fronts to 80hz or 40 as xt32 sets it? I’ve tried 60 in Can’t hear any difference.
Low quality subs aren’t exactly flat.

F

Flex1493

Enthusiast
What about using a cheap 10” sub with towers is it best to set fronts to 80hz or 40 as xt32 sets it? I’ve tried 60 in Can’t hear any difference.
Low quality subs aren’t exactly flat.
Than is a good question

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis