P.C. to T.V. to Receiver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have

I have 7 speakers total. In the front I have Right, Left, Center and Subwoofer. In the back have Right, Left, Center.

So, any new unit I look at wont have an option for the rear center? Good to know then. I'll stop going cross-eyed trying find one.
Meant to mention also that 7.1 refers to front/center/left up front, a pair of surrounds (to the sides) and a pair of rear surrounds (or in some units fronts). The subwoofer is the .1 so doesn't count in the 7 ch thing....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you!

:D
20 years makes it a puppy- my turntable is 40 years old and I have a guitar amp that was made in 1958- I sold one not too long ago that was made ~1936-37 and it still worked great. I sold a Sony integrated amp a few years ago that was made in the mid-70s.

C

catman123

Audiophyte
The Denon X760H and Onkyo.TX-NR6050 are both currently available at Costco for not much more money than the Sony and are superior to it in their feature sets.
Ordered the Denon. Thanks for pointing me in right direction, and all the others users time and assistance on this.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just going to ask, because I've never done this...

If audio out of the PC is connected via optical, does it come in at full line level to the AVR, or would the volume control in Windows still impact that level?

I was just thinking that if the volume on the PC itself is turned down from 100 to say, 20, then that would have a significant impact on the audio if volume control is supported over the optical output on the PC. In which case, the audio out of the PC does need to be adjusted up to about 80 or 90 to ensure that it is being received at a proper level into the AVR.

Going to HDMI won't fix this either if the main volume level is set too low on the PC itself.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just going to ask, because I've never done this...

If audio out of the PC is connected via optical, does it come in at full line level to the AVR, or would the volume control in Windows still impact that level?

I was just thinking that if the volume on the PC itself is turned down from 100 to say, 20, then that would have a significant impact on the audio if volume control is supported over the optical output on the PC. In which case, the audio out of the PC does need to be adjusted up to about 80 or 90 to ensure that it is being received at a proper level into the AVR.

Going to HDMI won't fix this either if the main volume level is set too low on the PC itself.
All depends on your settings. Optical vs HDMI when you're talking 2ch PCM output from the PC can be variable along with Windows volume control. It can also be fixed if the app you're using supports "exclusive mode" meaning that app alone has control over the sound driver and can hopefully bypass the Windows mixer.

If the app supports this function, Kodi, Plex, foobar2000, etc. then you'll be able to use the AVR for volume control alone. You can always just max the volume on the mixer inside Windows, but that's not ideal.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All depends on your settings. Optical vs HDMI when you're talking 2ch PCM output from the PC can be variable along with Windows volume control. It can also be fixed if the app you're using supports "exclusive mode" meaning that app alone has control over the sound driver and can hopefully bypass the Windows mixer.

If the app supports this function, Kodi, Plex, foobar2000, etc. then you'll be able to use the AVR for volume control alone. You can always just max the volume on the mixer inside Windows, but that's not ideal.
I'm asking, because this may impact @catman123 who was asking. If his volume is down low on the PC, then the optical connection may sound 'low', but it's just the PC that has the volume turned way down. He needs to ensure it is up at 80-90%.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis