Tone Arm Lift for Project Carbon EVO

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am looking for a tone arm lift for my Project Carbon EVO, but from the photo you can see that there is not a lot of space between the tone arm base and platter. Looks like I need something either very narrow to sit between the base and platter, or something low profile to sit on the base under the tone arm. So far I have found the Q Up on Amazon which is only 13mm wide but cheap plastic. Most round metal lifts are ridiculously expensive so the Audio-Technica Safety Riser seems to be one of the less expensive ones and is 14mm. Need to check the space under my tone arm. Any suggestions welcome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From what I've read the Q Up works quite adequately, especially for $35 vs $175 :). Altho I'm still getting up and manually lifting the stylus off the record myself, that's mostly because I rarely play vinyl these days and am ready to lift the arm/flip the record if I'm going to use it.....if I want set and forget I'll line up a playlist digitally.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There is a video of the Q Up bouncing the tone arm up. Not the best damping method. Some complain about the trigger being audible. Looks like I have 20mm width available and 35mm height with the tone arm on the platter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am looking for a tone arm lift for my Project Carbon EVO, but from the photo you can see that there is not a lot of space between the tone arm base and platter. Looks like I need something either very narrow to sit between the base and platter, or something low profile to sit on the base under the tone arm. So far I have found the Q Up on Amazon which is only 13mm wide but cheap plastic. Most round metal lifts are ridiculously expensive so the Audio-Technica Safety Riser seems to be one of the less expensive ones and is 14mm. Need to check the space under my tone arm. Any suggestions welcome.
Well Eppie it is your lucky day.

I seemed to remember I rescued an old Hadcock lift off eBay in bits in the very early days of the site. They are rare, I doubt many were made and I think only in 1978. I bought this years ago and had never got round to restoring it. I bought in England and had it sent to my parents home and brought it to the US after a visit. Anyhow by some miracle this aged brain managed to remember which box it was stored in, even after two moves. I spent and hour or so restoring it this afternoon.

It now works perfectly. The trick was figuring out exactly how it worked as it was not immediately intuitive. It is so rare the Net was no help.

The picture comes up gold, but it is polished chrome. It is beautifully made and a nice example of British engineering of the time.

To mount it you will need to drill two holes in the arm board for those attached brass bolts.

I can't see that I will ever use it. I have a spare Auriol lift tucked away anyhow.

When the arm is down you need at least 1 and 1/8" clearance between the bottom of the arm and the arm board. In the up position the lift raises the arm 1/8" at the point of contact. The lift arm is threaded and acts as the grub screw to hold final adjustment. You can see in the photograph that there is a very small Allen screw that adjusts how fast the arm falls to the disc. You will require a miniature hex wrench set for that adjustment.

Since I have not a clue what it is actually worth, I can let you have it for what you think it is worth to you.

Let me know if you would like it. I would hope this is something you can use and treasure as a unique curio and artefact, by putting it to use. I will be disappointed if it turns up on eBay right away, as I trust you will cherish it as treasure from the past.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Looks pretty smooth
I can't pop out the video, but on the Canadian Amazon site look at the top review here. Not pretty. :D
I believe the Q Up is made in China and while it may operate smoothly new, I am not confident that it will remain that way. Nice to know it works on the Carbon, though. Maybe worth a shot at that price.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Well Eppie it is your lucky day.

I seemed to remember I rescued an old Hadcock lift off eBay in bits in the very early days of the site. They are rare, I doubt many were made and I think only in 1978. I bought this years ago and had never got round to restoring it. I bought in England and had it sent to my parents home and brought it to the US after a visit. Anyhow by some miracle this aged brain managed to remember which box it was stored in, even after two moves. I spent and hour or so restoring it this afternoon.

It now works perfectly. The trick was figuring out exactly how it worked as it was not immediately intuitive. It is so rare the Net was no help.

The picture comes up gold, but it is polished chrome. It is beautifully made and a nice example of British engineering of the time.

To mount it you will need to drill two holes in the arm board for those attached brass bolts.

I can't see that I will ever use it. I have a spare Auriol lift tucked away anyhow.

When the arm is down you need at least 1 and 1/8" clearance between the bottom of the arm and the arm board. In the up position the lift raises the arm 1/8" at the point of contact. The lift arm is threaded and acts as the grub screw to hold final adjustment. You can see in the photograph that there is a very small Allen screw that adjusts how fast the arm falls to the disc. You will require a miniature hex wrench set for that adjustment.

Since I have not a clue what it is actually worth, I can let you have it for what you think it is worth to you.

Let me know if you would like it. I would hope this is something you can use and treasure as a unique curio and artefact, by putting it to use. I will be disappointed if it turns up on eBay right away, as I trust you will cherish it as treasure from the past.
That's generous of you Mark but I believe that is a manual lift. Sorry, but I should have put automatic lift in the thread title. That's a very nice piece of workmanship, though.

The manual lift on my turntable works fine but if I fall asleep with a record playing I don't want to leave the stylus running in the groove. Automatic lifts of that quality can run in the hundreds of dollars but I think they are targeted at high end turntables with tall platters like VPI. Audio Advice has the IntegrityHiFi Tru-Lift which runs $235 to $425 USD depending upon height. Fortunately the Model #1 at $235 is the one that fits the Project Carbon. IntegrityHiFi is a Canadian company and this appears to be a quality product. Unlike the AudioTechnica which uses some plastic, it is all metal construction. Lifts the tonearm gently and smoothly.

Also looked at the Expressimo which is all brass, but it clunks when triggered and the tone arm is bounced up a little harshly. The Expressimo uses a hinged lever and appears to lack damping fluid.

The Amari from AliExpress (China) comes in a nice wooden box but the quality appears to be in the packaging mostly. Some less than favourable reviews.

Seems I am answering my own post. :D The Tru-Lift looks to be the best quality and the most gentle but pretty expensive. The Q Up could work but may have reliability issues. I used to service turntables and the damping fluid needs to be properly sealed for longevity. If there is any air leakage the fluid will dry out or leak over time and then the damping no longer functions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't pop out the video, but on the Canadian Amazon site look at the top review here. Not pretty. :D
I believe the Q Up is made in China and while it may operate smoothly new, I am not confident that it will remain that way. Nice to know it works on the Carbon, though. Maybe worth a shot at that price.
There's an adjustment for lift force he doesn't mention using, plus he seemed to be ready to have it fail before even ordering it. Only USD 35 on Amazon here, was tempted to order one even....notice it ships from Amazon UK based in Luxembourg....and if ordered now wouldn't arrive until Dec 28.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There's an adjustment for lift force he doesn't mention using, plus he seemed to be ready to have it fail before even ordering it. Only USD 35 on Amazon here, was tempted to order one even....notice it ships from Amazon UK based in Luxembourg....and if ordered now wouldn't arrive until Dec 28.
$104.20 Cdn on Amazon here with delivery by Dec.22 but I don't trust the Canadian importer. It lists "Golda's Kitchen" who normally sell kitchenware. Why the hell are they selling this product? :D Other distributors have less than 75% positive ratings. Not a good sign. :(

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
$104.20 Cdn on Amazon here with delivery by Dec.22 but I don't trust the Canadian importer. It lists "Golda's Kitchen" who normally sell kitchenware. Why the hell are they selling this product? :D Other distributors have less than 75% positive ratings. Not a good sign. :(
I thought the Amazon UK thing was weird....damn you pay a lot more for the same thing.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I thought the Amazon UK thing was weird....damn you pay a lot more for the same thing.
Yeah, it sucks sometimes. Art and Sound have the Tru-lift for $285 Cdn while the $235 USD MRSP would convert to $320 Cdn, so not all doom and gloom. Still, $285+tax+shipping for a miniature hydraulic lift. o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, it sucks sometimes. Art and Sound have the Tru-lift for $285 Cdn while the $235 USD MRSP would convert to $320 Cdn, so not all doom and gloom. Still, $285+tax+shipping for a miniature hydraulic lift. o_O
Enough to keep one awake and not needing the auto lift ? :)

highfigh

highfigh

That's generous of you Mark but I believe that is a manual lift. Sorry, but I should have put automatic lift in the thread title. That's a very nice piece of workmanship, though.

The manual lift on my turntable works fine but if I fall asleep with a record playing I don't want to leave the stylus running in the groove. Automatic lifts of that quality can run in the hundreds of dollars but I think they are targeted at high end turntables with tall platters like VPI. Audio Advice has the IntegrityHiFi Tru-Lift which runs $235 to $425 USD depending upon height. Fortunately the Model #1 at $235 is the one that fits the Project Carbon. IntegrityHiFi is a Canadian company and this appears to be a quality product. Unlike the AudioTechnica which uses some plastic, it is all metal construction. Lifts the tonearm gently and smoothly.

Also looked at the Expressimo which is all brass, but it clunks when triggered and the tone arm is bounced up a little harshly. The Expressimo uses a hinged lever and appears to lack damping fluid.

The Amari from AliExpress (China) comes in a nice wooden box but the quality appears to be in the packaging mostly. Some less than favourable reviews.

Seems I am answering my own post. :D The Tru-Lift looks to be the best quality and the most gentle but pretty expensive. The Q Up could work but may have reliability issues. I used to service turntables and the damping fluid needs to be properly sealed for longevity. If there is any air leakage the fluid will dry out or leak over time and then the damping no longer functions.
If anything, the damping fluid will become gummy if it leaks out- it's viscous Silicone but it's not hard to acquire.

I just looked on FB Marketplace in the Milwaukee area and someone has a Q Up listed for $30- might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

That Hadcock lift is just as good as any pneumatic lift and I have a couple of Auriol lifts, which are the absolute "Rolls Royce" of pneumatic lifts. That Hadcock drops independently of how fast you move the lever. It is a damped device and the drop rate is set by that small Allen key adjuster I pointed out in my post. It won't leak by the way, because it can't.
It is a real classic. I have found my bill of sale. I bought it 10/10/05 for 46 GBP. My guess is it would fetch a high price on eBay. It is in perfect condition and now works perfectly. It is UK precision engineering and not Chinese.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I used to have the SME 3012 tone arm installed with a Thorens turntable of which I don't remember the model. How did that Hadcock arm compare to it?
I have no idea. The only arms I have used have been my own builds, Decca and SME arms.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting. I don't think I have read about the unipivot arm before. I've known about SME for decades but they were priced above what I could justify for a turntable. I used a linear tracking turntable for many years which doesn't allow for any modifications and limits you to p-mount cartridges, although the Audio Technica p-mount I had was very good. It specs better than the Ortofon Red and I've been tempted to use the adapter to mount it on my Pro-Ject TT but I first need to research how adjustable the gimbal is on the Pro-Ject as gimbal height might be an issue. I have a disc washer on my Christmas list and with the auto-lift I will be more likely to play some vinyl in the future.

Integrity HiFi in Canada has an interesting floating gimbal design pictured on their home page. They also sell a brush similar to what you use while playing LPs but much heavier construction.

highfigh

highfigh

Interesting. I don't think I have read about the unipivot arm before. I've known about SME for decades but they were priced above what I could justify for a turntable. I used a linear tracking turntable for many years which doesn't allow for any modifications and limits you to p-mount cartridges, although the Audio Technica p-mount I had was very good. It specs better than the Ortofon Red and I've been tempted to use the adapter to mount it on my Pro-Ject TT but I first need to research how adjustable the gimbal is on the Pro-Ject as gimbal height might be an issue. I have a disc washer on my Christmas list and with the auto-lift I will be more likely to play some vinyl in the future.

Integrity HiFi in Canada has an interesting floating gimbal design pictured on their home page. They also sell a brush similar to what you use while playing LPs but much heavier construction.
Personally, I don't like using most record cleaning solutions- I have never seen 'cleaned' LPs that didn't show evidence of the use and some sounded worse than before.

I use an Audio Technica cleaner, but not with a liquid- I clean the LPs, then dissipate the static before playing and it leaves the LPs sounding clean and noise-free.

I did some repairs to a Nitty Gritty record cleaner for an AV rep and it looked like an old water bed on the outside (Golden Oak stain & Tung Oil), but worse, it looked like a bad science fair project on the inside. While I had that, he told me that I should bring a few LPs to his place so he could clean them with the POS he was borrowing and after cleaning, they were worse than before. It was a $1300 joke, IMO. Had two of the small paint roller covers that have a brightly colored thread spiraling along its length. Looked ridiculous, but he said "it's like lifting a veil from the sound" If I never hear that sentence again, I can die happy.

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Personally, I don't like using most record cleaning solutions- I have never seen 'cleaned' LPs that didn't show evidence of the use and some sounded worse than before.

I use an Audio Technica cleaner, but not with a liquid- I clean the LPs, then dissipate the static before playing and it leaves the LPs sounding clean and noise-free.

I did some repairs to a Nitty Gritty record cleaner for an AV rep and it looked like an old water bed on the outside (Golden Oak stain & Tung Oil), but worse, it looked like a bad science fair project on the inside. While I had that, he told me that I should bring a few LPs to his place so he could clean them with the POS he was borrowing and after cleaning, they were worse than before. It was a $1300 joke, IMO. Had two of the small paint roller covers that have a brightly colored thread spiraling along its length. Looked ridiculous, but he said "it's like lifting a veil from the sound" If I never hear that sentence again, I can die happy.
:D
I remember Wookie didn't like the Nitty Gritty. I am looking at the Vevor ultrasonic cleaner that others in the forum mentioned. I think TLS Guy mentioned the Pro-Ject cleaners but they are 3 or 4 times the price. I currently use a brush and also have a carbon fibre brush and anti-static gun which is ok for newish albums but I have a quite a few albums from my father and wife that could use a deep cleaning.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis