Emotiva xpa 5 went kaput

C

chris6878

Audioholic
So one day the amp is fine, next day its done. red lights on 4 of the channels. Unplugged all the speakers, switched outlets....still not working. SO I emailed emotive service but I couldnt wait, as I knew it would take forever to get it fixed. Plus I read up about Gene having issues with them. ALso read that someone said the emo shelf life is 5 years. SMH. Ended up buying a monolith 5 channel the next day.

THis is my question. I got a response from Emo. THey said 300 to repair. WHat would yall do. I want to sell it, dont want the hassle of paying 300 and dealing with shipping, but is it worth it for me to get it fixed and then sell it?

Any ideas are welcome. THanks

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sell it, un-repaired, with a full disclaimer of what Emotive stated and call it a day

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will knock on wood, but mine is 7 or 8, no issues so far. I had an XPA-3 gen1 before and it had an issue, they sent me a replacement and had me send the damaged one back after I received the new one. Not sure if that is something they would still do, but mine was under warranty at the time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Sell it, un-repaired, with a full disclaimer of what Emotive stated and call it a day
It has been reported here that Emotiva will only service the original owners property. If you sell it non working you will probably get $25.00 top whack for it.

I would either recycle it, or have it repaired and sell it. It is up to you.

I can tell you that non working gear fetches very little money. I say that aa a guy who has bought some good gear dirt cheap when I am pretty sure I can fix it.
I would not touch that EMO with barge pole.

C

chris6878

Audioholic
I will knock on wood, but mine is 7 or 8, no issues so far. I had an XPA-3 gen1 before and it had an issue, they sent me a replacement and had me send the damaged one back after I received the new one. Not sure if that is something they would still do, but mine was under warranty at the time.
Yea in the email they explicitly said mine was not in warranty. lol

C

chris6878

Audioholic
It has been reported here that Emotiva will only service the original owners property. If you sell it non working you will probably get $25.00 top whack for it.

I would either recycle it, or have it repaired and sell it. It is up to you.

I can tell you that non working gear fetches very little money. I say that aa a guy who has bought some good gear dirt cheap when I am pretty sure I can fix it.
I would not touch that EMO with barge pole.
damn, I was thinking fix then sell, but I dont know the chances of me getting a profit or breaking even.

also they didnt ask if I was the OG owner or not. How would they know?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
damn, I was thinking fix then sell, but I dont know the chances of me getting a profit or breaking even.

also they didnt ask if I was the OG owner or not. How would they know?
I have looked at the sold prices for those amps on eBay. They fetch from $730.00 to $1,500.00 Most seem to go between $930.00 and $1250.00.

So from my research it seems that if you can get it fixed for $300.00 and then sell it, you will make good money. So I think that answers your question. In fact you can claim recently refurbished and those seem to fetch a premium.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go ahead and deal with the shipping/repair (I was in the logistics business so this part would be easier for me than dealing with selling it, I'd probably keep using it in another system or something).....many do still seek out Emotiva stuff, so the resale is decent. Would clarify if anyone is eligible for the $300 repair if I were to sell it as-is, but think most would prefer to buy it already repaired. Good luck!

C

chris6878

Audioholic
I'd go ahead and deal with the shipping/repair (I was in the logistics business so this part would be easier for me than dealing with selling it, I'd probably keep using it in another system or something).....many do still seek out Emotiva stuff, so the resale is decent. Would clarify if anyone is eligible for the $300 repair if I were to sell it as-is, but think most would prefer to buy it already repaired. Good luck!
Yea that's my thinking too.
Thanks

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Most of the Emotiva products are, cheaply made rubbish, constantly breaking down or simply giving up the ghost . All sales of Emotiva have ceased in OZ, with the products no longer being imported. Service is available if your prepared to pay freight costs both way's to the factory in the States.

Most people here rely on multi-channel Rotel amps or Arthur's wonders the Elektra brand, no web site available, But distributes in most states. HTTPS://www.sydneyhificastlehill.com.au/brand/Elektra-audio/ Iv'e had his standard 5 channel model for quite a few years.

Last edited:
C

chris6878

Audioholic
So this happened yesterday. I removed the emo in prep to install the new amp. Decided to plug the emo in to see if it works.....boom, all lights blue. zero issues. SMH. In all fairness emo rep did s say unplug if for a few hours. Im going to test it and leave it running for some hours then sell it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis