Amps for my Denon avc-x8500ha?

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Hi,
I'm thinking about adding a couple of Emotiva HC1 power amps to my home theater. Would anyone have opinions about this combination?
Ideally I would buy the new Denon flagship receiver next year and sell my avc-x8500ha but it looks like the new one will be ridiculously expensive so it is probably not very realistic

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In my opinion, there are better alternatives such as the much smaller, lighter and just as powerful amps.
Example:

The little one replaced my big and heavy one. Have no regret, and happily handed the 60 lbs amp to someone younger and stronger.

1668253477387.jpeg

Aside from that, I know you didn't ask, but I am curious to ask, what are you trying to gain? If the AVC-X8500HA has more than the voltage and current you need, it doesn't matter if you replace it with two 2,000 W monoblock amps, they will just be extra dead weights.

If it is about "sound quality", it would be a hot topic that has been debated for years. Just keep in mind amplifiers are designed to amplifier the input signals without introduction any form of distortions, only believe the "better sound quality" claims if you can find scientific provable reasons.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
Ok. What model is that?
My reason for looking at extra amps is to add 2 extra channels to my setup. I have added an extra row of seats so was considering a couple of extra speakers :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It's the $679 NC502MP. Price has gone up to $749 now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You want to put the amps on just L/R? Why not center, too? What are your speakers particularly and how far away are you from them and how loud do you listen?

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I suppose I thought of only LR because of cost. If I buy more or more expensive amps then I get close to the cost of the new Denon... But I suppose it could make sense. I have a mix of Monitor Audio Silver (G6) 500 and 300. 500 for LR and a c350 for center. Roughly 3 metres from my MLP (center a bit closer). For movies I am typically between -12 and -18 dB. Music is difficult to say because levels vary quite a bit

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The amp section of the X8500 is already good. Most of the time, people don’t need external amps. But it’s also okay if you want external amps.

For many people, that usually means ATI amps or amps made by ATI. Also Parasound Halo, Anthem, Rotel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I suppose I thought of only LR because of cost. If I buy more or more expensive amps then I get close to the cost of the new Denon... But I suppose it could make sense. I have a mix of Monitor Audio Silver (G6) 500 and 300. 500 for LR and a c350 for center. Roughly 3 metres from my MLP (center a bit closer). For movies I am typically between -12 and -18 dB. Music is difficult to say because levels vary quite a bit
Then don't buy expensive amps. Is there something wrong with the amplification now? Seems those levels would be within the capabilities of the 8500 alone.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure about the G6, but for Monitor Audio Silver speakers I would ignore their 8 ohm nominal spec and assume 4 ohms. From 3 meters, and with volume at -12, the Denon AVR-X8500HA won't need help from external power amps. I installed a system based on the older MA Silver 8 and the Marantz SR7009 rated 125 W 8 ohms in a large room with mlp at about 4.5 to 5 meters, with XC set to 80 Hz and the Marantz did fine, just run a little warm but the all do. For longevity, you should use a $10-20 usb Infinity fan to keep the unit cool at all times regardless.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis