Watching tv (no sound) while listening to bluetoothe

G

Garz

Enthusiast
I have a Denon avr-x4400. This thing wants to control every aspect of my tv. I just want to watch some football and listen to Bluetooth at the same time. Denon says this is not possible. Something about the beauty of HDMI and not having a choice to do this. Pretty frustrating.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Or I'm I limited to my JBL flip 5 speaker if I want to listen to tunes and watch football at the same time? This is mildly irritating to say the least. Is there a different brand AVR that allows for this?

Appreciate any help on this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While it's better to determine if hardware does what you want it to do before purchase, rather than just expecting it to....more details about your gear/setup might be interesting. I see on page 100 of the pdf manual a footnote about using desired video with bluetooth on page 135....did you review that?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Denon avr-x4400. This thing wants to control every aspect of my tv. I just want to watch some football and listen to Bluetooth at the same time. Denon says this is not possible. Something about the beauty of HDMI and not having a choice to do this. Pretty frustrating.

Does anyone have a workaround for this? Or I'm I limited to my JBL flip 5 speaker if I want to listen to tunes and watch football at the same time? This is mildly irritating to say the least. Is there a different brand AVR that allows for this?

There is no workaround, and you should not expect one. The audio and video are switched together, and both are travelling down the same "pipe". It would be no different to have a mixture of fluids running down a pipe and expect one fluid to come out of one tap, and the other a different tap.

So, your only work around is to set up two systems, one AV and one audio only. There is no AVR that will do what you want,

G

Garz

Enthusiast
While it's better to determine if hardware does what you want it to do before purchase, rather than just expecting it to....more details about your gear/setup might be interesting. I see on page 100 of the pdf manual a footnote about using desired video with bluetooth on page 135....did you review that?
I can agree with you on this and usually do. I'm coming from an old school flagship Denon avr that had no hdmi. In fact, optical was fairly new technology on this model to put it in perspective. Thank you for taking the time to check out the manual and pointing out what you did. Very appreciative.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can agree with you on this and usually do. I'm coming from an old school flagship Denon avr that had no hdmi. In fact, optical was fairly new technology on this model to put it in perspective. Thank you for taking the time to check out the manual and pointing out what you did. Very appreciative.
Oh I still have some pre-hdmi gear. :) Both my Denons do have hdmi, tho. The manual is usually what I review before choosing an avr, it helps. There are other ways to get audio than bluetooth, too....and there's use of zones to help out, too. Good luck with what the manual says is doable....

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic

How about something like this:

Amazon.com: HDMI Switch 4k@60hz Splitter, GANA Aluminum Bidirectional HDMI Switcher 2 in 1 Out, Manual HDMI Hub Supports HD Compatible with Xbox PS5/4/3 Blu-Ray Player Fire Stick Roku (1 Display at a Time) : Electronics

Use it to bypass the Denon and send video straight to the tv. Put the TV on mute and play whatever you'd like on the Denon.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
@Garz , I have the same receiver so I'll take a stab at this. (Not that I've ever done it, but it interests me.) I'm guessing at your present configuration, and have no clue as to speaker wiring /set-up, so this may need tweaking. (And may not be possible if you are using every output of the receiver already.) Here is my approach.

Start by opening up the manual: Denon AVR-X4400h Manual

Look under Playback / Playback in Zone2/Zone3

"You can operate this unit to enjoy video and audio in a room (ZONE2 and ZONE3) that is different from the room where this unit is placed (MAIN ZONE).
You can simultaneously play back the same source in both the MAIN ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3. You can also play back separate sources in the MAIN
ZONE, ZONE2 and ZONE3."

So my approach would be to get a second HDMI cable, and connect it to the Zone 2 output of the 4400h. and a different input on your TV than currently used for the 4400h => leave that one connected as is. (We are just pretending that Zone2 is in a different room.) So when you want to watch football and listen to your tunes simultaneously just follow the directions in the manual to playback Zone2.

Press Z2 or Z3 to switch the zone mode.
Z2 or Z3 button lights.
Press POWER
Power Button
to turn on the ZONE2 or ZONE3 power.

The
MULTI ZONE
indicator on the display lights.

Power in ZONE2 or ZONE3 can be turned on or off by pressing ZONE2 ON/OFF or ZONE3 ON/OFF on the main unit.

Press the input source select button to select the input source to be played.

The audio signal of the selected source is output to ZONE2 or ZONE3.

To perform an operation with the main unit, press ZONE2 SOURCE or ZONE3 SOURCE. Each time you press ZONE2 SOURCE or ZONE3 SOURCE, the input source changes.

You'll have to remember which HDMI input on your TV is for regular watching, and which is for Football, but you should be able to handle that.

I hope this is helpful.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure of the source of the tunes and assuming a cable box is connected to the receiver and the receiver is connected to your network but you can change the video output settings of the CD, TUNER, HEOS Music or PHONO input sources.

If streaming music from a service or from NAS, the HEOS app can control the music using a Smart device and send audio out to the speakers from the HEOS Music input source in the receiver while the TV receives video from the selected video output device.
FC4FFD08-2529-41E2-9C6D-C9794E8747B1.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis