Is it Time to Dump the Silver Disc?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Reminds me of that warning that appears at the beginning of so many blurays.....that your disc player may not be able to play without an update....but that would seem to perhaps more apply to a new disc and older player.
That was my thought too. Firmware is too new to play a disc would be an idiotic problem to have, but it also wouldn't surprise me. "Just buy an updated copy" is about the most we can hope for.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I caved in and have ordered 10 UHD movies, and a Panasonic DPUB 820K player. I started making a list of movies I'd like to own (ongoing list) and once I hit over 100, I figured there was enough to warrant collecting them (and buying the player). I want to start getting the most out of the thousands of dollars I've spent in my HT room thus far.

Check marks are the ones I've now purchased. The list:

Edge of Tomorrow
Harry Potter 1-8
Fantastic Beasts 1-3 (Dumbledore ✔)
The Lord of The Rings Trilogy
The Hobbit Trilogy
Iron Man 1-3
Thor 1-4
Captain America 1-3
The Hulk
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse
Spider-Man 1-3
Spider-Man 1-2
Spider-Man 1-2 (No Way Home ✔)
Dr. Strange 1 (Dr. Strange 2 ✔)
The Guardians of The Galaxy 1-2
Black Panther
Black Widow
The Avengers 1-2 (✔ Endgame, Infinity War)
Ant-Man 1-2 (#2✔)
The Eternals
Shang-Chi
Captain Marvel ✔
Back To The Future 1-3
Dune
The Batman (✔)
The Matrix Quadrology (4 ✔)
Blade 1-3
The Fantastic Four 1-2
Venom 1-2
Morbius (✔)
Sucker Punch
Troy
Braveheart
Mad Max: Fury Road
V
Alien
Aliens
Pirates of The Caribbean 1-3
Underworld 1-3
Terminator 1-3
Terminator Salvation
Transformers 1-3
Hunger Games 1-8
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Deadpool 1-2
X-Men 1-3
X-Men: First Class
X-Men: Days of Future Past
X-Men: Age of Apocalypse
X-Men: Dark Phoenix
Logan
Tenet
Inception
The Prestige
Brightburn
Star Wars Episodes I-VI
Rogue One
Fantastic Beasts 1-3
Unbreakable
Split
Glass (125)

I'll keep adding to the list as movies come to mind.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
When one considers streaming bit-rates and compression versus the bit-rates and compression on a physical disc I don't see myself giving up physical media anytime soon. There are plenty of movies I'll grab from redbox even though it's available streaming because I'd rather have the higher quality.
Me too. I rent at Redbox a couple times a month with no regrets. It's cheap and looks and sounds great.

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
I like physical media. It provides better HT experience. However, I do streaming mostly as it's convenient; I do not want to subscribe to both streaming and DVD service as it become expensive. I am happy with the quality of Amazon HD music. I do not like the standard quality. I do not have a CD player so I usually listen to music from Youtube. Recently, I have started purchasing used BluRay movies. If it's a movie I like, I buy them when they are under $5.99. There is an advantage to following tech several years behind.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Wouldn't it be nice if a technology became mature, like that of the CD, and then stayed around? Constantly having to "upgrade" to something else gets a wee bit annoying after a bunch of revolutions. Sure, streaming is cool and I use it when it makes sense. Yes, Blu-rays are nice too for the content that needs the space. Dang though, wouldn't it be great if we could count on something being around? Like a famous man once said "How many copies of the White Album do I have to keep buying?"

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Wouldn't it be nice if a technology became mature, like that of the CD, and then stayed around? Constantly having to "upgrade" to something else gets a wee bit annoying after a bunch of revolutions. Sure, streaming is cool and I use it when it makes sense. Yes, Blu-rays are nice too for the content that needs the space. Dang though, wouldn't it be great if we could count on something being around? Like a famous man once said "How many copies of the White Album do I have to keep buying?"
We'd have to stop buying the "new thing" for them to stop making the "new thing". I totally agree that it's nice to have standards that stick around. CD is so good because there isn't really an improvement moving to higher rez audio. Video though? Moving from 480p to 1080p was a HUGE technological jump that had a MAJOR impact on PQ. 4k not so much, but HDR sure gives an impact on PQ.

I'd say that as long as we have logical progress then we can keep buying new stuff, but when it's just gimicky nonsense like curved screens and 8K, then it's just stupid. I'd put 3D in that same boat, but it's at least a new-ish tech that some seem to really enjoy.

CD is just an excellent example of something done right the first time and if "it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Then there's all the copy protection around video. I'd love it if streaming video was as good as streaming audio has become. Even the, your subjected to license agreements that can and have expired.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
We'd have to stop buying the "new thing" for them to stop making the "new thing". I totally agree that it's nice to have standards that stick around. CD is so good because there isn't really an improvement moving to higher rez audio. Video though? Moving from 480p to 1080p was a HUGE technological jump that had a MAJOR impact on PQ. 4k not so much, but HDR sure gives an impact on PQ.

I'd say that as long as we have logical progress then we can keep buying new stuff, but when it's just gimicky nonsense like curved screens and 8K, then it's just stupid. I'd put 3D in that same boat, but it's at least a new-ish tech that some seem to really enjoy.

CD is just an excellent example of something done right the first time and if "it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Then there's all the copy protection around video. I'd love it if streaming video was as good as streaming audio has become. Even the, your subjected to license agreements that can and have expired.
I'm not sure I want to take the luddite position of no new things. I don't mind new improvements that are genuine improvements, and I didn't mean to say technology should stop moving. I'd just appreciate it if when a technology turns out to be pretty danged good if it would stabilize and hang around a bit. I feel like I am wishing for something that doesn't exist.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm not sure I want to take the luddite position of no new things. I don't mind new improvements that are genuine improvements, and I didn't mean to say technology should stop moving. I'd just appreciate it if when a technology turns out to be pretty danged good if it would stabilize and hang around a bit. I feel like I am wishing for something that doesn't exist.
I get what you're saying. It'd be nice for things to be stable for a bit while actual innovation is being worked on instead of the next minor update that will make people feel like they need to buy something.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Im stopping at 4K. Not hopping on the 8K bandwagon anytime soon, hopefully ever.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

I'm happy with my current cd player dac included. I'm not sure I will always have a dvd player but plan on having a dedicated cd player for the foreseeable.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Im stopping at 4K. Not hopping on the 8K bandwagon anytime soon, hopefully ever.
I still don’t have an UHD Blu ray player. :)

When I got my LG OLED Oppo was out of the universal player business, so I watch 4K via streaming. Sadly the streaming content is quite compressed as I can see banding.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I still don’t have an UHD Blu ray player. :)

When I got my LG OLED Oppo was out of the universal player business, so I watch 4K via streaming. Sadly the streaming content is quite compressed as I can see banding.
I'd still get a player. Not even close IMO as to quality advantage to disc still.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I'd still get a player. Not even close IMO as to quality advantage to disc still.
Yeah, that is true, and possibly keep my Oppo for SACD and just get an UHD player without SACD. Some Sony players supports SACD but they don’t autodetect Dolby Vision, and I’m loath to manually enable/disable DV.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
The industry does not seem ready to "ditch the silver disc" after seeing how many are being released these days. In 2019 Warner Bros. offered "Dial M For Murder" on 3D! The disc has both versions on it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The industry does not seem ready to "ditch the silver disc" after seeing how many are being released these days. In 2019 Warner Bros. offered "Dial M For Murder" on 3D! The disc has both versions on it.
Still, overall the releases are down, and many don't even get bluray treatment.
Dial M in 3d ? why?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Still, overall the releases are down, and many don't even get bluray treatment.
Dial M in 3d ? why?
3D was the "in thing" at that time the 1950's. Dial M was a hit stage play at that time and Alfred Hitchcock wanted to make a movie which looked like a stage play and Warner Bros. had the $$$$ to make it in 3D.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
3D was the "in thing" at that time the 1950's. Dial M was a hit stage play at that time and Alfred Hitchcock wanted to make a movie which looked like a stage play and Warner Bros. had the $$$$ to make it in 3D.
Just don't think that 3d version/type compares to current, but not sure.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yep. They've tried many times to make 3D mainstream and haven't been able to do it yet. I doubt VR will take over either.

They're both cool/gimmicky, but people just don't want to have to wear something on their head to watch a movie or TV show. I know I don't.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis