Marantz Cinema 50 Installed

jonmartin84

jonmartin84

Enthusiast
Well I just spent most of the afternoon installing my new Marantz Cinema 50. I replaced my old Marantz AV 7702 Pre/pro that I've had for a long while. I was originally going to run an Arcam AVR11 but something happened with my order and after a week I got tired of waiting so I was able to get this right away instead. After unboxing and making connections I did a firmware update. (1 of 2).

I went through the process to setup the audysssey for the first time via the app and it seems like a cool upgrade from my previous setup at least until the Dirac upgrade becomes available.

The build quality of the unit seems pretty good and it feel's nice when controlling the volume knob etc. I almost sent this out to get tested by Amir for the forum but honestly I've been out of my surround system for a while since I prematurely sold my old PRE/Pro. So at some point later I might consider doing so if another member doesn't but for now I just wanted to have it for the holidays or until the AV 7706 replacement becomes available and I can sell this unit or use it in my bedroom maybe.

Anyway I thought I'd share some pics for those interested.

I've never used the Audyssey EQ editor app since my old setup wasn't compatible with it. I found out after I ran calibration that there was yet another firmware update which I found odd. But after installing that update it cleared out my Audyssey calibration but luckily all I had to do is go back to my iPad and send the file again. If anyone has any tips I should try I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Just curious, where is the IR window on this AVR? I know there's an IR input on the back, but curious about the IR target. Can't seem to find the Owner's Manual for this unit as yet.

jonmartin84

jonmartin84

Enthusiast
Just curious, where is the IR window on this AVR? I know there's an IR input on the back, but curious about the IR target. Can't seem to find the Owner's Manual for this unit as yet.

According to this link its top dead center of the "porthole" display. I use the app or a network control system so I don't have to stick an ugly eye on this thing. I hate IR flashers ;).

luisev

luisev

Audioholic Intern
Simply curious... the Cinema 40 is the replacement of the AV 7706? How is the Cinema 50 working / sounding for you?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Simply curious... the Cinema 40 is the replacement of the AV 7706? How is the Cinema 50 working / sounding for you?
No, Cinema 40 is an AVR. AV10 is the replacement for the AV8805A, so I guess AV20 (just guessing, no official info yet) might be the replacement for the AV7706.

luisev

luisev

Audioholic Intern
No, Cinema 40 is an AVR. AV10 is the replacement for the AV8805A, so I guess AV20 (just guessing, no official info yet) might be the replacement for the AV7706.
I keep forgetting Marantz has a dedicated processor line; thanks for the reminder. Thus far, how's the Cinema 50 sounding in your setup?

S

stevestrike

Enthusiast
Could you share some about why you chose the Cinema 50 over anything else that's out right now in a 9 ch. AVR? I'm mired in the details right now myself and looking for clear reasons to choose one over the other (besides the fact that the Marantz is the best looking of the bunch).

Lots of folks are big on the new Denons, and for the $2500 MSRP you're only a stone's throw away from an Anthem or maybe NAD, or maybe a used Arcam....

I'm very attracted to the Marantz, but it seems to be in an odd middle ground---I wonder if there are (significantly) better sounding options for a similar price point, OR if there are similar performance options for a significantly lower price.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was kinda hoping the porthole panels would go away with a redesign....still not that different aesthetically over other boxes of electronics, just less useful.

jonmartin84

jonmartin84

Enthusiast
Could you share some about why you chose the Cinema 50 over anything else that's out right now in a 9 ch. AVR? I'm mired in the details right now myself and looking for clear reasons to choose one over the other (besides the fact that the Marantz is the best looking of the bunch).

Lots of folks are big on the new Denons, and for the $2500 MSRP you're only a stone's throw away from an Anthem or maybe NAD, or maybe a used Arcam....

I'm very attracted to the Marantz, but it seems to be in an odd middle ground---I wonder if there are (significantly) better sounding options for a similar price point, OR if there are similar performance options for a significantly lower price.

Well, Its kind of a long story but I originally ordered an Arcam AVR11 after I sold my old Marantz processor prematurely, the Arcam was taking a little longer then expected so I made some calls and just so happened I could get this Marantz unit the next day so I did.

The main reason I did the upgrade is because I recently bought an LG C2 OLED and wanted HDMI 2.1 capability I also wanted something with Dirac (even if I had to wait a couple months)

Funny thing is I already sold this Marantz cinema 50 unit off to a client/friend of mine once I discovered it wasn't "Roon Ready" I don't like HEOS but without researching that aspect I discovered that I'd have to buy an external streamer to get what I wanted from my TIDAL subscription.

Now I went back to my original plan and bought an Arcam AVR11 due to arrive this week and I should have everything I wanted (based on specs) and I won't have to run a separate streamer or wait for Dirac Live It will be my first time using Arcam and if I don't like it I'll just have to wait to see what else drops and flip it. Cost isn't much a big deal to me as I'm in the industry and don't pay retail for any of those brands.

jonmartin84

jonmartin84

Enthusiast
Was kinda hoping the porthole panels would go away with a redesign....still not that different aesthetically over other boxes of electronics, just less useful.
To each their own. I loved the look and feel of the unit compared to say an IMO ugly Denon box although it is hard to read the display from a distance but thats what the on screen display and app is for *shrugs*

jonmartin84

jonmartin84

Enthusiast
Is your username the same on ASR?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis