Outlet surge protector

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I am thinking you aren't getting a lot of traction on this question because nobody can say for sure.

Generally, no surge suppressor is perfect. They help and certainly using this would be a very solid way to gain some level of additional protection over just using a standard outlet. A whole house surge suppressor is a better way. Using a large, quality suppressor is a better way, then extending power to the projector/tv location is a better way.

Given enough of a surge, you will never have a perfect solution.

I personally use a few Surgex units in my home and I protect my displays by extending power from the Surgex to the displays.

But, if this was really problematic, and I didn't want to have a bulky and expensive unit behind a display, then this wouldn't be a bad option. For the money, it may be a very reasonable option. Not worthless, but not great.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
It's 'UL' listed so it should be good.
But a whole home surge protector is a better plan.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It's 'UL' listed so it should be good.
But a whole home surge protector is a better plan.
UL Listed only means they tested it and it didn't burst into flames. They make no guarantees because that exposes them to liability in the event that one (or more) fails to do its job and the parties who were harmed decide to sue for damages.

Best practice- have whole-house protection installed at the breaker panel and use local protection, to make sure the motors & switches in the building don't cause problems.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would rather suggest a surge protecting power strip by a reliable brand such as APC or Tripp-Lite. They are more expensive but they provide a warranty.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
UL Listed only means they tested it and it didn't burst into flames.
Yes, the 'UL' tested it, but and it's a big but, the test has a long list of specifications. In fact a copy of the specs can cost $500 to $1000. The actual test can cost over $5000. Th 'UL' tests are the real deal.
Best practice- have whole-house protection installed at the breaker panel
True!
I would rather suggest a surge protecting power strip by a reliable brand such as APC or Tripp-Lite
This is another valid solution but the above dual receptacle is also valid.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I would rather suggest a surge protecting power strip by a reliable brand such as APC or Tripp-Lite. They are more expensive but they provide a warranty.
Warranties are like insurance- they usually find reasons to deny coverage.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Warranties are like insurance- they usually find reasons to deny coverage.
I worked more than 40 years for life and health insurance companies. It's like in any type of business. Some are honest and reliable companies, some are not. In Canada, insurance companies are closely regulated by the governments. A company which doesn't act in good faith and doesn't abide by a stipulated policy coverage can be sued.

By the way, I would definitely trust Schneider (APC) and Tripp-Lite.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis