• iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Samsung S22 Ultra 256GB

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The actual “phone” of these devices is one thing. Third party apps that continue to update beyond the limits of older OS versions and requiring newer versions is another thing. I can still use my iPhone 6 Plus for some of my third party apps. Thought my 4s was now just a paper weight but the new Apple Music app is supported on it so I can still use it for that much anyway.

The one must have third party app is Google Maps. I won’t touch Apple’s anymore. I agree, it blows. Now, I will say the most frustrating thing about iOS is that Apple seems to love to take away features you like and make unnecessary changes to others with each new iOS version.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I actually like iOS 16 so far. I notice on both though, they are converging because they are adding a few new differentiators but most of the new updates are picking up features from each other. iOS adding Android like features and Android adding iOS like features lol.

Apple's hardware is definitely top notch, but they've tended to be easier to break with my older ones. It is my company phone though, so I probably treat it worse.

Not quite.
The latest Pixel 6 and later phones get 3 years of OS updates and 5 years of security updates.
Anything earlier got 3 years of OS and Security updates.
I am a Samsung guy, not Pixel. Samsung is 4 years now and if you buy the last model in the series (formerly the FE or Note, both discontinued) it can be up to 5. Same as Apple, you buy the "final" model of the series you might get updates for up to 6 years.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Apple Maps has come a very long way since the early days. I used to use google maps exclusively, but have been going back and forth between them more over the last year or two.

It's been mentioned before, but Apple also seems to really be putting User Privacy first. I don't completely trust google... for years, really, but I am getting to the point where anything that comes from the Alphabet Universe is questionable in terms of user privacy.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
It's been mentioned before, but Apple also seems to really be putting User Privacy first. I don't completely trust google... for years, really, but I am getting to the point where anything that comes from the Alphabet Universe is questionable in terms of user privacy.
Google is an advertisement company first and foremost, and everything they do is to further their advertisement business.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I am a Samsung guy, not Pixel. Samsung is 4 years now and if you buy the last model in the series (formerly the FE or Note, both discontinued) it can be up to 5. Same as Apple, you buy the "final" model of the series you might get updates for up to 6 years.

Bloatware, questionable customizations, duplications of basic apps, and on occasion quality issues are what prevent me from recommending Samsung devices. The announcement is from this year so this is new to me as I stopped following Samsung closely. One subject that this announcement does not address is the delay in getting that Android security or OS update. Samsung has a long history of being notoriously slow in that matter.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Apple Maps has come a very long way since the early days. I used to use google maps exclusively, but have been going back and forth between them more over the last year or two.
Does Apple Maps give you Traffic Accident and Delay warnings? Does it have Speed Limit warnings?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Does Apple Maps give you Traffic Accident and Delay warnings? Does it have Speed Limit warnings?
I'm pretty certain it does. I know I've seen posted speed limits on the screen...
Looking at it right now and I see traffic slow downs (yellow and red), an accident notice... I think I've even seen reports of speed traps marked on the map (can't confirm, though).

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Bloatware, questionable customizations, duplications of basic apps, and on occasion quality issues are what prevent me from recommending Samsung devices. The announcement is from this year so this is new to me as I stopped following Samsung closely. One subject that this announcement does not address is the delay in getting that Android security or OS update. Samsung has a long history of being notoriously slow in that matter.
That's partly what drove me to move to the Pixel, but I was last using a Galaxy S7 and an S2 before that. I tend to keep my phones for as long as I can.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I dislike all the Samsung apps for sure, but I spend that first day setting everything up the way I want and turn off a bunch of stuff so don't have to deal with it. If it allows me to uninstall, I do.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
The biggest thing you should look for in a phone is does it have a THD of less than .0000005%. If it doesn't, then not worth it. But I do believe iPhones meet and beat these numbers. Just saying. :cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I upgraded from a well-used 6s (I think 3yrs) to an 8 when the 8 was already roughly 2yrs old. I used that for 2 yrs when I upgraded to the 13 pro max.

In my estimation, the hardest part of these phones to keep stringing along, depending on what you ask them to do, is the processing power. Certainly, the battery degrades, but there does come a point where the Processor is just gassed, and you can see that in newer 'optimized' apps and web browsing.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My next big question is the GPS, Google Maps vs Apple?
So, the headache with Apple is that Apple loves Apple.

With my iPhone, I use Google Maps.

The headache I mentioned is because you can't change the default Map program from Apple to anything else. So, you must copy/paste all addresses.

Still, Google Maps is the bomb (IMO) and I haven't had issues with it (almost) at all. It has crashed every now and then, so I do like to keep tabs on it. Over the Summer it literally saved me 45 minutes on a route a knew very well. Got me off the freeway, and routed me parallel to it for ten miles. Kept me out of a freeway closure due to a serious accident.

I wish Apple would allow us to remap default applications for things like Maps. I'm not even sure what else I would like to change as a default app, but I'm sure there are some other strong opinions out there for similar. No idea if this will ever come to iPhone. It's never been such an issue as to stop me from using Google Maps or loving my iPhone.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I upgraded from a well-used 6s (I think 3yrs) to an 8 when the 8 was already roughly 2yrs old. I used that for 2 yrs when I upgraded to the 13 pro max.

In my estimation, the hardest part of these phones to keep stringing along, depending on what you ask them to do, is the processing power. Certainly, the battery degrades, but there does come a point where the Processor is just gassed, and you can see that in newer 'optimized' apps and web browsing.
I've heard similar, but I've gotta say that my iPhone 7s still runs plenty fast for my needs. I don't use it for a ton of stuff, and I don't game on it, so that may impact things. Pandora, Spotify, Music all work fine as does eMail, messaging, and Maps. Oh, and it's a perfectly fine phone. I would say that power users may really find this to be true, but I'm not sure about the rest.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

The headache I mentioned is because you can't change the default Map program from Apple to anything else. So, you must copy/paste all addresses.

Still, Google Maps is the bomb (IMO) and I haven't had issues with it (almost) at all. It has crashed every now and then, so I do like to keep tabs on it. Over the Summer it literally saved me 45 minutes on a route a knew very well. Got me off the freeway, and routed me parallel to it for ten miles. Kept me out of a freeway closure due to a serious accident.

I wish Apple would allow us to remap default applications for things like Maps. I'm not even sure what else I would like to change as a default app, but I'm sure there are some other strong opinions out there for similar. No idea if this will ever come to iPhone. It's never been such an issue as to stop me from using Google Maps or loving my iPhone.
One possible workaround for this is to use google maps on a desktop PC or mac, get directions, and use send to iPhone function. on the iPhone, it would show as a notification. Opening it would open google maps, not apple. maps. Pretty much the same if searched on a desktop first, then on mobile google Maps, look for recent searches. Assuming both are signed in to the same google account, the sync works fine.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I 100% agree. This is one of many minor (or not so minor) defaults, lack of customizations, and restrictions Apple sticks to. Most of them are minor, some have a workaround like this one, and some don't.

Another perfect example of this is Apple's CarPlay. You can't move Google Maps or Waze to the first screen.
You'd have to swipe to the second screen first to open it. You probably can guess that Apple Maps is indeed on the first screen.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

If you sign into your Google Account on the Google Maps, doesn't it keep all your Maps settings and addresses?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've heard similar, but I've gotta say that my iPhone 7s still runs plenty fast for my needs. I don't use it for a ton of stuff, and I don't game on it, so that may impact things. Pandora, Spotify, Music all work fine as does eMail, messaging, and Maps. Oh, and it's a perfectly fine phone. I would say that power users may really find this to be true, but I'm not sure about the rest.
I don't game, either. I usually would see this behavior in ability to download emails and surf the web.

My 2nd gen iPad just sits on my desk and runs as an email ticker for me... as long as I dont try clicking a link it mostly works at this point for that purpose alone. It can barely process a web page at this point.

Every phone is a little different, The Lady's 8 and mine each behaved differently... hers is still operational while mine is fully retired. I even had to have a battery replacement at just over 1 yr on my old 8. *shrugs

Such is life in the modern world.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So you would rank CPU performance as salient?
Out of the gate, they almost always seem to work... It's the home stretch you have to wonder about. ;)
How old does that gray mare need to be 'fore she ain't what she used to be? :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
IIRC, I heard that they were now allowing users to delete some of the stock apps in the newer iOS... I haven't tried, but what I had done before is create a folder called useless apps which I then filled up with all the things pre-installed I never used.
Apple maps was one of those...

But as was said:
Apple loves Apple
One of the benefits of my Apple watch is the integration as an extension of the iPhone. Apple Maps sends info to your Watch. I get haptic taps as I approach a turn, for example.

Regardless of all of this, one thing is clear which I brought up much earlier...
So much of this comes down to personal preference.

Obviously, if you are in the Apple ecosystem, it doesn't matter. Just as if you steadfastly refuse to ever own an Apple product. But if you are neither Fanboy nor Sworn Foe, the In-Betweeners can easily go either way. I'm certain there are folk that left iPhone for another and are happy with the experience, but I see many more reports of people trying it and running back to apple than not. *shrugs

Anyway, the Apple Watch is a whole other conversation. :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis