Monolith 8250x 8 Channel Amp

R

ruzun

Audiophyte
On your Class D Amp video on Youtube you mentioned the Monolith 8250x amp as being recommended, but I can't find any review of it. Is it another Class D newer design amp that rivals the NAD M23 in specs/sound, or is it a step down from that?

Any chance of a full review sometime soon?

-Roger Uzun

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Buckeye, in Ohio, is doing some very well respected builds of both Hypex and Purifi modules. worth looking at!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
On your Class D Amp video on Youtube you mentioned the Monolith 8250x amp as being recommended, but I can't find any review of it. Is it another Class D newer design amp that rivals the NAD M23 in specs/sound, or is it a step down from that?

Any chance of a full review sometime soon?

-Roger Uzun
If you look at ATIs version that should be very close to the Monolith amp as they're both made by ATI.

As others have mentioned there are other options available as well, just not sure about all 8 channels in one case, which shouldn't matter in the end. The NCore modules don't measure as good as the Purifi, but you're comparing two that measuring insanely well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think there are some difference in ATI's own implementation vs what Monolith is selling, but agree.

I am fan of breaking the Amps down into how I use them. 4-6 channels for Atmos. 4 channels for Surround and Rears, maybe a 5 channel and put the Center with that one. 2-channels for Mains.

This way, if you are listening in stereo, you only need to fire up one set of amps. Multichannel audio, turn on the second set of amps. HT, fire them all up.
Also, if something breaks down, you are not without Amps for your whole system! ;)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For external amplification, I recommend 2 or 3 channel amps. Several of them fill the needs but they take more space and cost more than a 7 or 8 channel product. However, the salient advantage is that if one of the amps gets to be defective, you're not without your full surround system during the delays for repair.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What "sound" differences would these amps/implementations have particularly, tho?

R

ruzun

Audiophyte
The Monolith 8 channel NC502MP 200wx8 channel amp is on sale now for $2149. Pretty big markdown and tempting but I think I'm going to wait a bit and hold onto the Halcro for now.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That Monolith 8 channel Class D amplifier has a high SINAD of close to 0.5% at some frequencies, and is definitely not comparable to NAD's new Class D amp product. The noise level is way too high. IMO, the manufacturer has some work to do to fix that.

Is that why Monoprice is offering a discount close to 30% on it?

SPECIFICATIONS
P/N 42564
Model M8250X
Inputs 8x balanced XLR
Input Impedance 47kΩ
Gain 25.7dB
Frequency Response at Rated Output 20Hz ~ 20kHz ±0.5dB
Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted) Greater than 115dB below rated FTS Full
Bandwidth Power
Measurements into 8-Ohm Loads
FTC Full Bandwidth (20Hz ~ 20kHz) Output
Power 200 watts (all channels driven)
Input Sensitivity for Full Rated Power 2.07 volts
Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N)
@ 20Hz ~ 20kHz
Less than 0.05% (20Hz ~ 5kHz)
Less than 0.5% (5kHz ~ 20kHz)
@ 1kHz < 0.01% at Rated Power

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you look at ATIs version that should be very close to the Monolith amp as they're both made by ATI.

As others have mentioned there are other options available as well, just not sure about all 8 channels in one case, which shouldn't matter in the end. The NCore modules don't measure as good as the Purifi, but you're comparing two that measuring insanely well.
The Monolith product was assembled in the US, but I doubt ATI was involved in that process. Would they have released amps with a rather high SINAD?
We should be able to eventually know what firm did assemble it.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That Monolith 8 channel Class D amplifier has a high SINAD of close to 0.5% at some frequencies, and is definitely not comparable to NAD's new Class D amp product. The noise level is way too high. IMO, the manufacturer has some work to do to fix that.

SPECIFICATIONS
P/N 42564
Model M8250X
Inputs 8x balanced XLR
Input Impedance 47kΩ
Gain 25.7dB
Bandwidth Power
@ 20Hz ~ 20kHz
Eh my crown XLS I owned measured way worse and they sounded just as good as anything else I've owned if driven within they're limits. It's a pretty good bang for the buck amp. Like some have said it would still be nice to see an actual review from an independent reviewer with proper tests and measurements being done.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Implementation is a b!tch.
Hypex modules themselves test very well. Just refer to any of the ASR reviews of the NC400 DIY, or any of the work done by Buckeye. :)
Dylan's builds are quite pure in their use of the Hypex modules. I believe some of his newer builds will be going for review soon, but preliminary testing for his new input board is proving clean.

Anybody interested in 6- or 8- channels of NC252MP or NC502MP would do well to check out his offerings!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Implementation is a b!tch.
Hypex modules themselves test very well. Just refer to any of the ASR reviews of the NC400 DIY, or any of the work done by Buckeye. :)
Dylan's builds are quite pure in their use of the Hypex modules. I believe some of his newer builds will be going for review soon, but preliminary testing for his new input board is proving clean.

Anybody interested in 6- or 8- channels of NC252MP or NC502MP would do well to check out his offerings!
Does he have a website now?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL reminds me of Seaton's somewhat.

ps nm...seems my first try it simply didn't load completely.

Last edited:
K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Should we be concerned on these if driving from an AVR with:

And a relatively low gain compared to the Monolith 7x?

I'll keep my big heavy ugly A/B :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Monolith 8 channel NC502MP 200wx8 channel amp is on sale now for $2149. Pretty big markdown and tempting but I think I'm going to wait a bit and hold onto the Halcro for now.
At this price level, this Monolith 8 channel amp seems impossible to beat, not even buckeye's. If you need such an amp, go for it!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

SPECIFICATIONS
P/N 42564
Model M8250X
Inputs 8x balanced XLR
Input Impedance 47kΩ
Gain 25.7dB
Bandwidth Power
@ 20Hz ~ 20kHz
The good thing about Monolith is that they let you see their bench test results. SINAD looks very decent, if measured on ASR, it would likely do about 93 dB, similar to ATI's. It will be tough to find too many class AB amps that could do better in distortions and noise at the below $3,000 price point. If I need a 8X200 W amp, the 8250 would have been my top choice based on the specs, test results and the 5 year warranty.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis