Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
FWIW 60 years ago I rode behind #12 pictured above on a family trip to EBT.......

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I love that the trains are still running today and the strike is on hold. The USA can't afford for the railroads to come to a complete halt in operations.
I sometimes wake around 3AM and hear all kinds of loud sounds- I finally figured out that it might be trains shunting cars, although it's a piss poor time of day to do that.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I sometimes wake around 3AM and hear all kinds of loud sounds- I finally figured out that it might be trains shunting cars, although it's a piss poor time of day to do that.
Historically speaking 3rd trick was when a lot of freight trains ran, less passenger trains in the way.

highfigh

highfigh

Historically speaking 3rd trick was when a lot of freight trains ran, less passenger trains in the way.
Sure, in industrial areas, but in residential areas, it's not great. Many areas have obviously become more heavily resi in the last 6 decades, but maybe I have lived here for so long that I didn't notice it very much. I know RR traffic was higher when I was a kid because my neighborhood had a raised track bed at the North border, which has since been transformed into a multi-use trail for walking, bicycles, wheelchairs, etc- as long as it's not gas motor-driven. I don't really like E-bikes when they ride at >25 MPH, though-I was using the trail yesterday and those guys were riding like idiots.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
interesting possibility with regards to the Rail Labor vote/contract.........

highfigh

highfigh

interesting possibility with regards to the Rail Labor vote/contract.........

So, the union chiefs can act like politicians and do what they want, rather than what their constituents vote for?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
the Tehachapi Loop, one of the engineering marvels of the industry (former SP trackage)......

Heading out there next month to witness it for myself :p

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My personal favorite piece of narrow gauge railroading that I have experienced to date, Cumbres & Toltec (former D&RGW) San Juan extension from Chama, NM to Antonito, Co. This beautifully shot video is of their rotary snow plow in action a couple years back being shoved up to Windy Point and Cumbres Pass by a couple of mighty Mikado K36's. Gotta love the 'stack talk' !

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I wonder if they will still sound the same. The beauty of these engines is that patented roar they possess as they move down the tracks with a load of cars.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder if they will still sound the same. The beauty of these engines is that patented roar they posess as they move down the tracks with a load of cars.
Agreed and don't forget those Alco's and their tell-tale smoke they bellowed out !

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
It was the fall of 1965 when I rode the last passenger train through the Adirondack Mtns from Utica to Tupper Lake. The line was resurrected again for the 1980 Olympics to Lake Placid but shortly afterwards became out of service North of Big Moose station.

The Adirondack Scenic RR had their first revenue train this past weekend over the newly renovated section and once again excursion passenger service is restored to Tupper Lake. Leaving Utica the train traverses the home rails of the Mohawk Adirondack & Northern RR to a point just North of Remsen, NY (SNOW Jct) where it then goes onto the ADK Scenic rails.

The lead unit(red, white & blue) is one of ours, MLW built power loaned out to the scenic for the inaugural run.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
sorry, never heard of him/her ??
Has a youtube channel by that name, nice kid from Vancouver who loves riding on trains, I just find his presentation more tolerable than most youtubers....check him out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis