Help me pick the Right Cables!

T

The Chops

Audiophyte
Hello! Everyone,
I own an Oracle Delphi Mark V Turntable. I'd like to add another dedicated Tonearm to it, besides the one that is already mounted. I plan on using a {Brass} out Board POD, that will sit down away & off the turntable. I plan on Purchasing an all Brass CALISTA II Tonearm Made by: {S.A.M.} Small Audio Manufacter of Rep. of Croatia. www.smallaudiomanufacter@gmail.com.
This Tonearm & turntable will be connected to a Jolida JD 9-A Tube Pre Amp.
My (Question): What Interconnect Cables would you buy, to make this Calista II Sing with the Jolida JD-9? Hmm!
There's: Cardas, Audio Quest, Nordist, Radio Shack (L.o.L.) & many others.

Your thoughts are Appreciated..
The Chops.
CHOPS ORACLE MK V.jpg
jolida_jd9.jpg

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

Your turntable will sing.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not another cable thread.
1656086385727.png

;)

There is ZERO reason to spend gobs of money on cables or interconnects. This has been gone over relentlessly. ASR even reviewed a set of stock rca cables like you would have bought at walgreens to connect you walkman to your car back in the day. Guess what... measured absolutely clean!

Monoprice makes good cables. They are inexpensive and do the job well. I use them myself.

All the other boutique-ey brands are just for the phools that can't accept that an electron doesn't care what the signal path is, as long as it is a good conductor.

With that in mind, if you really want to be finicky, just make certain you get good pure copper conductor. Avoid CCA (copper clad aluminum) or CCS (copper clad steel) conductors.

Also, make certain to buy a long enough cable that it will allow you to move your equipment around without tugging on the terminals. If you ever need to clean or fiddle with your gear, having some slack on your cables is an absolute must!

T

The Chops

Audiophyte
ryanosoar,
I thank you for being complete & I agree with your statements. I'm half hard of hearing. I use Hearing aids religiously. I'm not sure if I'd even hear, Hum & Noises. L.O.L. But I wanted to test the audio waters out.
"You The Man".
The Chops.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
That's a nice turntable by the way. It has the 'wow' factor.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cables for a tt is one area that takes a little more care than a typical interconnect as capacitance is more important Altho it depends on where the tt's pre-amp/phono stage is located in relation to the tt as cable length is an important consideration accordingly. I wouldn't buy from the nonsense brands like Nordost, Audioquest, Cardas etc unless you just like giving your money away needlessly. Don't know what's available in Croatia particularly.

T

The Chops

Audiophyte
TLSguy,
Oops! I put a wrong picture there. It was supposed to be A Graham Engineering 1.5 Uni-Pivot Tonearm.:oops:

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I would recommend choosing whichever cables are on sale.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
With a cable on sale, someone has to be careful. It could be a copper clad crap cable.
I don't support the sale or purchase of incompetently designed or manufactured cables. My problem is with the the belief that expensive cables have a superior sonic signature. Hence I recommend you save your money and buy competently made cables that cost less. You would go nuts trying to find a cable with a sonic signature and, if you found one, you should reject it. We shouldn't have cables acting as tone controls. If we want tone controls we should use adjustable ones.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Of course you disagree. You have never conducted a bias controlled listening test on cables. You have joined the high end community in accepting expectation bias. I got involved in that nonsense a couple of decades ago and finally cured myself.

If you would like to go through a bias controlled listening test, just let men know. But beware. It will undermine your high end audio beliefs to the core.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing ever satisfies the cable haters on this site. I have conducted all the research needed, thank you for your concern
Cable haters? What? Cables are very useful. Use 'em all the time, have tons of them. Even the silly cables from bullshit sellers like Mapleshade I don't hate, just consider those selling them, shopping there, or recommending them, as being somewhat dishonest and/or having little to no sense....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Virtual Dynamic Power Cables

"Finished cords are cryogenically treated, cooked-in, and conditioned prior to shipment."

And then prayed over.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Nothing ever satisfies the cable haters on this site. I have conducted all the research needed, thank you for your concern
Yes, and you are wrong far more often then by chance. The sooner you stop contaminating this site with your nonsense the better. The sooner your realize that wire is wire the better, and rid your self of your nonsensical illusions.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Neil Gader from TAS says:
For audio reviewers who labor each day over razor-honed amplifier heatsinks, hoist 125-pound speakers into position, and go cross-eyed adjusting the azimuth of a “nude” cartridge, moments of audio epiphany are depressingly rare. But for every component in a system, we’ve all experienced revelatory moments. In the world of power cords my “moment” occurred with TAS colleague Dan Schwartz, when we experienced Kimber Kable’s Palladian power cord. No power cord since has made enough difference to make me consider retiring the Kimber.

Expensive, yes, and unwieldy in the extreme, the Virtual Dynamics Master Series power cord, however, presents a conundrum. Each of its three, 10-gauge, Mylar-treated, solid-core copper conductors is thicker than Kate Moss’ wrist. Just plugging the cords in is a little like mud-wrestling a python. They feature six dielectric layers; magnetic flux lines are laid over the conductors (said to promote the flow of electricity and reduce inductance). Finished cords are cryogenically treated, cooked-in, and conditioned prior to shipment.

Comparing the Master Series cords with the mid-priced cords I had on hand was a little like running Seabiscuit in a pony race. Where the other cables were midrange-oriented and cloudy at the extremes, with indistinct imaging and comparatively brittle treble, the Master Series expanded the dynamic envelope (prompting me to turn down the volume a notch), extended and tightened up the bass, and threw the door on the treble wide open.

The Master Series was articulate, but even more important it was sparklingly “clean.” When Dianne Reeves sings “One For My Baby” from the Good Night And Good Luck soundtrack [Concord Jazz], there’s a noticeable lack of extraneous noise between her and the standup bass—the notes of which seemed to hang in the air just a breath longer than with most power cords. The microdynamics of these instruments had the air jumping with energy. Reeves’ voice lost any peaky artifacts and simply opened up and bloomed.

This particular horserace tightened up considerably with the substitution of the Kimber Palladian. The Master Series has a character that is tonally more outspoken— bigger bass and a hint more lower treble—whereas the Kimber had the fuller mids, airier highs, and more fully realized dimensionality. Lyle Lovett’s vocal on Joshua Judges Ruth’s “South Dakota” [MCA] defined the crucial difference: The Master Series made his voice sound slightly higher and more forward in his throat; the Palladian dropped the timbre down a shade with a more distant placement. On “Night On Bald Mountain,” from Reference Recordings’ Mephisto & Co, the Master cords enlivened the horns and violin sections in a way that shed more light on inner details without added edginess. Likewise the ominous rumble of the bass drums seemed to emerge from a quieter space on stage and propel its way towards the audience.

At the end of the day, the differences between these two stellar cords don’t rule out using one or the other. The Master seems more detailed and extended and marginally faster and more dynamic; the Palladian (while certainly no slouch in the speed and extension sectors) has an effortless musicality and imparts the body and soul of complex acoustic environments with almost eerie palpability.

Two grand is serious money for a power cord—a lot of money, period. Even in a minimalist system (source and integrated amp) you’ll still need two of these stubborn snakes to gain the full effect. And candidly, if I were assembling a system from scratch, I wouldn’t compromise loudspeakers or a CD player to squeeze in a great set of cords. That said, the Master Series power cords from Virtual Dynamics would still be on my wish list for one very simple reason— they’re unforgettable.
You are so deluded it's sad. Then again TAS is full of crap to begin with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Another happy client says:
Review: Virtual Dynamics NIte Power cord Power cord

Category: Cables

I'll cut to the chase...Some audiophiles are not ready to hear about how much difference this power cord can make in a high end audio system. I'm not kidding, the Nite power cord might just be one of the biggest upgrades I've made to my system! First off, I'm not claming to be an expert on power cords, nor have I tried a fraction of the power cords out there. I just wish to communicate what a profound difference this power cord has made on my system.

The first product I tried from Virtual Dynamics was their $125 2i power cord. This cord made a bigger improvement to the sound than any other power cord I had tried to date. I then upgraded to the Virtual Dynamic’s Audition power cord, which produced an even greater degree of enhancement. There was so much more low-level detail and tonal purity along with every other aspect of the sound being improved. Rick from Virtual Dynamics really wanted me to try his top of the line Nite power cord, even though I told him I really didn’t want to spend any more on a power cord. I was perfectly happy with the Audition power cords, one on my Accuphase 65V CD player and another on my Spectron Musician II power amp. How could a power cord have any more affect on a system than what I was already hearing? He said he’d send it anyway even if I didn’t intend on buying it. “I just want you to see what’s possible when this technology is taken to the extreme and for you to tell me your thoughts on it.” I said ok, send it. When I first received the cord I plugged into a receptacle over night but had no component hooked up to it, so it was not even close to being broken-in. The next day I plugged it into my CD player then dropped Ginger Baker’s Coward of the County into the tray and hit the play button. Before the first track was even though I had a tear running down my cheek. There is no way a power cord is supposed to make that much difference! This was not just more low-level detail and tonal purity; this was also affecting things on a Grand Scale. It was as if I had upgraded to mono blocks. The whole presentation had changed; there was awesome bass pitch, extension and control in the low frequencies. The soundstage had become more three dimensional and focused. I felt like a light had been turned on and illuminated the soundstage, I could clearly see were each instrument and musician were positioned. There was also an unmistakable transformation in the systems transparence. Notes were emerging from a much blacker background and then decaying into utter silence. The increase in dynamic shading both macro and micro were so much more convincing too, further bridging the gap between recorded and live music. Then of course was the increase in low-level detail and tonal purity. Words really do fail in trying to express what this power cord did for my system.

I had no intention of spending more money on a power cord but I don’t think Rick’s getting this one back. I believe this power cord has done more to increase my enjoyment of music than just about any other tweak. It also brought about a larger degree of improvement than upgrading my CD player from an Accuphase 65 to the 65V. After hearing this kind of improvement from a power cord I realized just how weak the weakest link in my system was. I then thought about all the audiophiles that still don’t think a power cord can make a difference and how they might not ever know just how good their system can really sound. Before you dump more money on upgrading components, try upgrading what might be the weakest link in your system first. As much as this cord sells for I believe it to be money well spent.
More dubious stuff from another site that can safely be ignored.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
QRT Power Strip

"You'll experience a lower noise floor, heightened imaging, wider and deeper soundstages, sharper details, superior pacing, and outstanding dynamics."

:rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis