Polk ES60 vs KEF Q950

P

Push

Audioholic
Due to unforeseen costs, my budget has shrunk on stereo mains. What I currently have right now are Paradigm Atom SEs mated to a 10" Polk sub. 99% of my listening is vinyl, Rega P3 turntable, Rega Brio, Rega Fono MM. Sometime in the future I'll add a good streamer, but not anytime soon.

The Atoms at volume are very bright, and my ears don't like that brightness. But I do like the detail. I'm not concerned about thundering bass, just enjoy clean, detailed mids, accurate highs, and what bass is there should be tight and fast.

I realize that I'm asking for ALOT from my 2K budget, but I see a shop in the city has KEF Q950s for $1700 Cdn, and Polk ES 60s for $1300 Cdn. I can't make it to the city before the sale runs out, but the shop is happy to take returns on anything I don't like. In a couple years, my budget will open back up to the original 4 or 5K, but I don't want to wait that long to replace the Atoms and that REALLY lousy sub. So has anyone heard both these speakers? I'm tempted by the KEFs from the reviews for them, but if I can save 400 or 500 bucks on something very close to as good, that money can be set aside for something I really want in the future.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Due to unforeseen costs, my budget has shrunk on stereo mains. What I currently have right now are Paradigm Atom SEs mated to a 10" Polk sub. 99% of my listening is vinyl, Rega P3 turntable, Rega Brio, Rega Fono MM. Sometime in the future I'll add a good streamer, but not anytime soon.

The Atoms at volume are very bright, and my ears don't like that brightness. But I do like the detail. I'm not concerned about thundering bass, just enjoy clean, detailed mids, accurate highs, and what bass is there should be tight and fast.

I realize that I'm asking for ALOT from my 2K budget, but I see a shop in the city has KEF Q950s for $1700 Cdn, and Polk ES 60s for $1300 Cdn. I can't make it to the city before the sale runs out, but the shop is happy to take returns on anything I don't like. In a couple years, my budget will open back up to the original 4 or 5K, but I don't want to wait that long to replace the Atoms and that REALLY lousy sub. So has anyone heard both these speakers? I'm tempted by the KEFs from the reviews for them, but if I can save 400 or 500 bucks on something very close to as good, that money can be set aside for something I really want in the future.
Where are you located? There are a lot of good speakers available in that price range. You can get these from a US dealer for $900 each after discounts this time of year.

Here is a floor sample/trade up for $900 a pair from a dealership...

P

Push

Audioholic
Where are you located? There are a lot of good speakers available in that price range. You can get these from a US dealer for $900 each after discounts this time of year.

Here is a floor sample/trade up for $900 a pair from a dealership...
I'm Canadian. I don't even see those speakers listed on crutchfield.ca. The only thing that the canadian side had that interested me was the Definitive Technology BP-9020s. Otherwise, the Saskatchewan shop had a better price on the Polks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm Canadian. I don't even see those speakers listed on crutchfield.ca. The only thing that the canadian side had that interested me was the Definitive Technology BP-9020s. Otherwise, the Saskatchewan shop had a better price on the Polks.
The Def Techs will be picky with placement FWIW, the will need at least 3' from the back and side walls to sound as intended.

I couldn't find a Revel dealer in Saskatchewan but a few in BC. Out of your first two choices I'd choose the Q950, another worth considering would be the Kef R3 which would be in your price range and you could get the R5 if discounted a bit, which shouldn't be an issue.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis