Andon

Andon

Audioholic
Hi all, I just have a question about oppo dvd/blueray players. I am trying to understand if oppo still offer service and support for udp 203 there is one for sale locally and I am wondering if something happens to it will I be able to fix it or the money that I will spend will just go to waist? thanks in advance.

p.s ( those things are not cheep LOL )

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They likely offer support, but they may or may not still offer service. You'd have to contact them directly. I still have a 105 and 205, no issues so far (knocks on wood).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all, I just have a question about oppo dvd/blueray players. I am trying to understand if oppo still offer service and support for udp 203 there is one for sale locally and I am wondering if something happens to it will I be able to fix it or the money that I will spend will just go to waist? thanks in advance.

p.s ( those things are not cheep LOL )
I would not get involved in anything OPPO. I have an older unit I bought when they were all the rage. It could not be made to work with my newer 4K rig. I think because of out of spec. HDMI protocols. OPPO could not have cared less. I have since found others have had this problem with my unit. I still have the unit, but it has been demoted to an older 2K two channel system.

I should have known better than to buy gear from a Chinese company, and will never do so again. If you want a universal player I would look at Sony.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
When analog connections were necessary for multichannel audio playback of SACD and DVD-AUDIO, Oppo did it better than anybody else. I did have a couple of Denon players before getting an Oppo. But, time marches on and HDMI came along so HDCP could police everybody. It at least offered bandwidth sufficient for lossless multichannel audio and many could do away with lots of analog cables and Oppo would rule the Universal player market.

But, streaming came along and is effectively killing off physical media. Sony universal players also came along at a price that couldn’t be beat and Oppo would hang it up. Now, older HDMI spec devices still in service are difficult to incorporate into systems with the newer HDMI spec. Adjusting an HDMI port in a receiver to “HDCP 1.4” or “4K Standard” will often work for older players having issues. Turning off “Deep Color” in one of a TV’s HDMI ports for direct connection of an older player will work as well for some.

I am having video issues with my old BDP-83 and, the last time I contacted Oppo, they were still repairing machines. They supposedly also had a firmware update available for older players to make them more compatible with the newer spec. But, they kept sending me the wrong firmware. Just haven’t fussed with for a while. One might consider a new Sony UBP-X800M2. It will save money, get a return window and have a warranty. I just didn’t have the desire to invest in another Oppo after purchasing the Sony UBP-X800 a few years ago.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I also have a Sony UBP-X800 and am glad to hear from those that also have OPPO's that there isn't a big advantage especially if running it through an AVR/Processor. Not sure of any reason to buy anything else. Funny thing is I frequently rent movies to watch. But I rent them from Redbox. So I'm watching mostly blue ray DVDs each week or so. I really haven't even gotten true us out of the UHD since I don't buy those movies... Go figure.

I am pleased with the Sony so far.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

When analog connections were necessary for multichannel audio playback of SACD and DVD-AUDIO, Oppo did it better than anybody else. I did have a couple of Denon players before getting an Oppo. But, time marches on and HDMI came along so HDCP could police everybody. It at least offered bandwidth sufficient for lossless multichannel audio and many could do away with lots of analog cables and Oppo would rule the Universal player market.

But, streaming came along and is effectively killing off physical media. Sony universal players also came along at a price that couldn’t be beat and Oppo would hang it up. Now, older HDMI spec devices still in service are difficult to incorporate into systems with the newer HDMI spec. Adjusting an HDMI port in a receiver to “HDCP 1.4” or “4K Standard” will often work for older players having issues. Turning off “Deep Color” in one of a TV’s HDMI ports for direct connection of an older player will work as well for some.

I am having video issues with my old BDP-83 and, the last time I contacted Oppo, they were still repairing machines. They supposedly also had a firmware update available for older players to make them more compatible with the newer spec. But, they kept sending me the wrong firmware. Just haven’t fussed with for a while. One might consider a new Sony UBP-X800M2. It will save money, get a return window and have a warranty. I just didn’t have the desire to invest in another Oppo after purchasing the Sony UBP-X800 a few years ago.
Yes, mine is the BDP 83 as well. It is fine in the 2.2 system, but I really only use it as a CD player, occasionally put in a video disc. It is fine for that duty. I do not think it is worth paying a lot of money for any OPPO player, which many seem willing to do.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Yes, mine is the BDP 83 as well. It is fine in the 2.2 system, but I really only use it as a CD player, occasionally put in a video disc. It is fine for that duty. I do not think it is worth paying a lot of money for any OPPO player, which many seem willing to do.
Seems kind of crazy people are paying big $ for these and it sounds like they are very risky to be or become obsolete.

If I understand it right, if you are running it through a AVR and if the AVR is processing, then there isn't much benefit to an OPPO or Sony or any other CD Player because the AVR is doing the processing. Is this correct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oppos generally do universal discs better than most (i.e. more formats), have good quality build and feature set, and so far, service. The prices of used units is nuts, tho (saw a member selling a 205 for $2400!). I wouldn't even ask Sony if any of my Sony players broke down, they're not worth it. YMMV. As far as using a player as a transport and having the processing done in the avr/tv, they do become more similar than different in that respect, but depends how you use it. I can use my Oppo as a pre-pro to an extent if I needed to.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Oppos generally do universal discs better than most (i.e. more formats), have good quality build and feature set, and so far, service. The prices of used units is nuts, tho (saw a member selling a 205 for $2400!). I wouldn't even ask Sony if any of my Sony players broke down, they're not worth it. YMMV. As far as using a player as a transport and having the processing done in the avr/tv, they do become more similar than different in that respect, but depends how you use it. I can use my Oppo as a pre-pro to an extent if I needed to.
Thanks. appreciate your response. They do clearly seem to have good build quality and are very nice. The premium they sell at now since they stopped making them is crazy. But great for those that have them already.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seems kind of crazy people are paying big $ for these and it sounds like they are very risky to be or become obsolete.

If I understand it right, if you are running it through a AVR and if the AVR is processing, then there isn't much benefit to an OPPO or Sony or any other CD Player because the AVR is doing the processing. Is this correct?
The answer to your question is yes, and no. First discs are the gold standard for video, and the higher end players have the edge here.

For audio, the PCM is sent over HDMI and AVRs will decode this, and I think this is the way most do it.

Things get messy with SACD and its DSD. Not all players will send DSD over HDMI, and not all AVRs will decode DSD. Players that can send DSD over HDMI can be set to convert it to PCM to be sent over HDMI to units that can not decode DSD. All this upsets the audiophools, but they are too ignorant to realize that no one edits in DSD anymore, as it is such a huge PTA. So DSD recordings are converted to PCM for editing and processing, and then back to DSD. This is all because audiophools refuse to educate themselves about digital audio, and believe long standing misconceptions about it. It for this reason DSD refuses to die, which it should, and will eventually.
We would be far better off with audio only BD. That would allow more channels, and be better all around.

I will confess that I do still use a CD player in my theater system. The reason is that darned CEC. I need that to use some apps in the TV and send the audio over eARC. I use my HTPC mostly, but for certain sources the TV app is best. However when you turn on a player the TV turns on. If you turn off the TV it turns off the player.

The only way to prevent this is turning on an off CEC. That means finding menus, and it is a pain. So I just find it easier to use a CD player.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
The answer to your question is yes, and no. First discs are the gold standard for video, and the higher end players have the edge here.

For audio, the PCM is sent over HDMI and AVRs will decode this, and I think this is the way most do it.

Things get messy with SACD and its DSD. Not all players will send DSD over HDMI, and not all AVRs will decode DSD. Players that can send DSD over HDMI can be set to convert it to PCM to be sent over HDMI to units that can not decode DSD. All this upsets the audiophools, but they are too ignorant to realize that no one edits in DSD anymore, as it is such a huge PTA. So DSD recordings are converted to PCM for editing and processing, and then back to DSD. This is all because audiophools refuse to educate themselves about digital audio, and believe long standing misconceptions about it. It for this reason DSD refuses to die, which it should, and will eventually.
We would be far better off with audio only BD. That would allow more channels, and be better all around.

I will confess that I do still use a CD player in my theater system. The reason is that darned CEC. I need that to use some apps in the TV and send the audio over eARC. I use my HTPC mostly, but for certain sources the TV app is best. However when you turn on a player the TV turns on. If you turn off the TV it turns off the player.

The only way to prevent this is turning on an off CEC. That means finding menus, and it is a pain. So I just find it easier to use a CD player.
Thanks TLS, I learn something new all the time. As I don't play SACD's, I doubt I will see a difference. And to be honest, if I buy an OPPO it will be because I got a good deal and it was the thrill of the hunt of a new toy and a prize for the setup. And that isn't really a good reason so hope I won't do that :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. appreciate your response. They do clearly seem to have good build quality and are very nice. The premium they sell at now since they stopped making them is crazy. But great for those that have them already.
I was hesitant to buy the Oppo, had done well with other players but the day they announced ceasing production of the disc players I decided to go for it and had a use for one more bluray player anyways, so thought I'd give it a whirl to see if they were as good as their reputation. Been very happy with it, I like the ergonomics and generally quiet operation and capabilities for inputs/outputs, etc. I played with the onboard dacs for a while but they didn't offer anything particularly and preferred the audio processing of my avr and simpler connection too. If I were to buy a player now the upper level Sonys look good (my Sonys are more middle of the pack, have two S5100s and an S6700). The Sonys don't do dvd-audio tho I have few of those discs anyways, do use the players otherwise for cd, sacd and bluray for the most part (and do get multich dsd decoded by my avrs too). I guess I can always sell mine at a great profit still....but I wouldn't buy one at going prices.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony UBP-X800(No Dolby Vision) and UBP-800M2(adds Dolby Vision) players do play DVD-AUDIO discs while the UBP-X700 does not do so for those that may be considering one of them at this point.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
What most people on here don't seem to realize is that the power supplies in the Oppo's is far, far superior, to anything else on the market. And this is why when they where openly retailing them , before they shut down production, they where considered high priced by some people and a lot went out and bought the Malaysian or Vietnamese produced Sony. Now Oppo are in short supply, If you want one you will pay a high price, And there's no reason to complain about the price, no one's forcing you to pay the asking price. I see them advertised on European forum sites , The going rate at the moment is around 6000 Euro's for a 205. And let me tell you they don't last long.

A lot of people are going for the Reavon 200 model, I had one on test here for a week, [which was far too long] there no better then a $29 Laser budget model.

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
What most people on here don't seem to realize is that the power supplies in the Oppo's is far, far superior, to anything else on the market. And this is why when they where openly retailing them , before they shut down production, they where considered high priced by some people and a lot went out and bought the Malaysian or Vietnamese produced Sony. Now Oppo are in short supply, If you want one you will pay a high price, And there's no reason to complain about the price, no one's forcing you to pay the asking price. I see them advertised on European forum sites , The going rate at the moment is around 6000 Euro's for a 205. And let me tell you they don't last long.

A lot of people are going for the Reavon 200 model, I had one on test here for a week, [which was far too long] there no better then a $29 Laser budget model.
Is the power supply the biggest difference between oppo and let say Panasonic DP-UB1000P1K ? I know a lot of people lake linear power supply better than class D, as far as I know Emotiva also switched to class D power supply and ditched linear, is that mean that I can sale my first gen XPA 2 for 4k ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is the power supply the biggest difference between oppo and let say Panasonic DP-UB1000P1K ? I know a lot of people lake linear power supply better than class D, as far as I know Emotiva also switched to class D power supply and ditched linear, is that mean that I can sale my first gen XPA 2 for 4k ?
You mean switching mode power supply (SMPS)? They may be used with class d amps but doesn't make the power supply class d. Having a good power supply in a player/pre-amp isn't nearly on the same level as one in an amplifier....

Andon

Andon

Audioholic
You mean switching mode power supply (SMPS)? They may be used with class d amps but doesn't make the power supply class d. Having a good power supply in a player/pre-amp isn't nearly on the same level as one in an amplifier....
Any inputs on the Panasonic ub1000p1k?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis