CD players vs high end CD players

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I purchased a Denon DN-300Z CD player which has a built in tuner, and Bluetooth. It cost around $425. I am wondering has anyone compared CD players and found if higher end ones like a Marantz CD6007 , ND8006, or Denon 6006 NE make a difference in quality in sound that we can really hear? Or is it more in the features that they cost more?
Same reason as your McIntosh amp. :D

Sometimes it’s about other reasons, not just about sound quality. :D

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Had anyone A/B two CD players a stereo store and found much of a difference? I would think there is about a 5 difference in sound and some are more stable than others in tracking if your walking across the room.
It won't help. When audible differences range from subtle to non existent there is too much bias involved in doing that. Differences in volume or just the appearance of the products have more effect on the listener than the sound. DACs have audible differences that range from subtle to non existent. My advice is to buy whatever lights your fire. The sound will be same in a bias controlled listening test. You can't get one of those in an audio store.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
It won't help. When audible differences range from subtle to non existent there is too much bias involved in doing that. Differences in volume or just the appearance of the products have more effect on the listener than the sound. DACs have audible differences that range from subtle to non existent. My advice is to buy whatever lights your fire. The sound will be same in a bias controlled listening test. You can't get one of those in an audio store.
Please post a link to the bias controlled listening test you reference in your post, thanks

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Please post a link to the bias controlled listening test you reference in your post, thanks
Sorry there is no link. I didn't do these tests for the internet nor did I do them for you. I did them for myself and a group of friends. Feel free to disbelieve me, though, if that helps your position. I try to be helpful and to correct what I view as misinformation. There is no requirement that you accept it.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Sorry there is no link. I didn't do these tests for the internet nor did I do them for you. I did them for myself and a group of friends. Feel free to disbelieve me, though, if that helps your position. I try to be helpful and to correct what I view as misinformation. There is no requirement that you accept it.
OK, you said "the sound will be the same in a bias controlled listening test", that sounds like a fairly broad claim. It would be more helpful if you added something like "I did tests for myself and groups of friends.... etc"

Many people doing similar comparisons have links if you search for it.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
OK, you said "the sound will be the same in a bias controlled listening test", that sounds like a fairly broad claim. It would be more helpful if you added something like "I did tests for myself and groups of friends.... etc"

Many people doing similar comparisons have links if you search for it.
Thanks for the comment. I am rarely guided by the actions of others, though.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a pair of circa 1992 Sony PCM-7010F DAT Recorders, mostly a novelty these days yet I keep them since I have no doubt recordings I make on them sound more lifelike than any other means to recording I have. I used to use these recorders to master radio commercials, which were often copied to CD. Now listening to those CDs via DACs in Sony CDP-601ES, Sony DVP-S9000ES, and OPPO-205 Players, or from a Sony UBP-X800M2 Player to a Marantz NR1200 Receiver or Parasound P6 Preamplifier, I sense a loss in fidelity. At any rate, commercial CDs played via any of my players all sound the same. Kind of moot though, since I rarely buy CDs now that Apple Music satisfies so nice when played to Parasound P6 via usb.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I also have two Oppo blu-ray players, but my Sony X800 plays Blu-ray discs and Cds just as well. IMO, there's no reason to look any further.
I use a Sony UBP-X800M2 to play stereo SACDs via HDM connection to my Marantz NR1200 Receiver. No doubt the sound is same as stereo SACDs played from OPPO-205 to my analog preamp (Sony TA-P9000ES), except some divergence in low end sound due to peculiar bass management controls within each system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis