Monitor audio silver 500s 7g

F

Frank blois

Audiophyte
I own a pioneer sc lx704 with a claimed 135 watts per channel 2 channels driven, my speakers are monitor audio silver 500s 7g.
Should I have to push my amp to -20 in order to get the sound I'm looking for ie clarity and punchy bass?
Thanks for any help.

jinjuku

jinjuku

What amp? What room size? Are they placed near a wall/corner?

F

Frank blois

Audiophyte
The room is 13 x 12 and the speakers are 2 feet from back and sides.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You should be having a good experience given the room size. The speakers look pretty benign do drive. So the Pioneer should be to the task. Are you engaging any room modes or other EQ on the Pioneer?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Different Speakers and AVR+Amps, but I listen pretty regulary at -10 for music, depending on source the ol' SPL meter says ~70-75dB.
If your system is moderately calibrated to that THX Standard, then you are likely in the ~60dB zone... so about the level of normal adult conversation.

Is that too loud somehow for you to get the "feel" you want, or is there something else you are looking for? (Keep in mind, being able to actually feel bass requires a certain particle velocity which also comes with SPL, but is not exclusively tied to SPL.)

F

Frank blois

Audiophyte
You should be having a good experience given the room size. The speakers look pretty benign do drive. So the Pioneer should be to the task. Are you engaging any room modes or other EQ on the Pioneer?
No room modes or eq settings just stereo.

F

Frank blois

Audiophyte
Different Speakers and AVR+Amps, but I listen pretty regulary at -10 for music, depending on source the ol' SPL meter says ~70-75dB.
If your system is moderately calibrated to that THX Standard, then you are likely in the ~60dB zone... so about the level of normal adult conversation.

Is that too loud somehow for you to get the "feel" you want, or is there something else you are looking for? (Keep in mind, being able to actually feel bass requires a certain particle velocity which also comes with SPL, but is not exclusively tied to SPL.)
At -20 my meter reads 75 to 80db.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Shouldn’t, curious though if that’s just 2-channel why it would be running so hot in terms of SPL. Do you have any level trims turned up in the AVR?

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I’d run mcacc or at least get distance right. Bass being weak or non existent has a lot to do with time delay. Get that distance right and try again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. Running the room correction will set trims and distance/delay. After that, you can turn it off. Those items will usually persist once room correction is run.
It would be especially helpful I think if you have any Subs in the mix.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis