New Arcam 2022 8K AV Receivers w Dirac Live Bass and More...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There's this member just posted up he got his new Anthem 70 in today. Should be interesting if he starts his own thread on it.
We don't care about that. We want to see somebody buy that $5,500 Rotel AVR you wanted. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It has been talked about on forums (ASR, AH, etc.) regarding the Denon/Marantz new upper-end models getting DIRAC, but I don't think anything has been CONFIRMED.

That AVC-X3800 box does say "DIRAC". So that is promising. :D

This could be a huge game changer, confirming that more and more manufacturers are going to DIRAC for room correction.

Now if we can only get those stubborn old Yamaha engineers in Japan to also add DIRAC to their RX-AA4, A6, A8 and CX-A lineup, that will make choosing AVR/AVP a lot more simple. :D
Also if Yamaha could get rid of that ridiculous nanny protection that bottlenecks they're recievers. And yeah they gotta get rid of YPAO
Sorry Yamaha :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. Stunned that nobody has posted on this thread yet.
:(

As I look at this AV41 and the remainder of the "budget" Super-Processors...
Keep in mind that until further notice the Monolith HTP-1 is effectively DEAD.
Anything else remaining under $10K is the JBL Synthesis product, Anthem, and the woefully inept (I know of 1 (exactly) person happy with it) Emotiva RMC-1. :eek:
For the record, I have yet to see any review of the newer SDP-58 from JBL and cannot speak to its efficacy.

However, Monolith and Emotiva have shown that such a beast can exist in an affordable price point. It is, quite obviously, too early to tell what this Arcam "super-processor" can do with it's 16 channels and Dirac +Bass Control options.
Is the HDMI actually delivering on the full promise?
How are the DACs in comparison to what was considered the superior product from AKM?
How are the processing characteristics?

I know this introduction is far from an exceptional review, but it is exciting to be certain!

And for those waiting new AVRs that can deliver on the possibility of HDMI 2.1, wher is your curiosity. Last time I checked, Sound United-Masimo is MIA for two years running. Yamaha is still cleaning the bed-sheets they took a steamy dump on over a year ago...

And out of left field there is something... unexpected.

;)

Of course, maybe its the deprivation from any good audio content lately that's got me all hot and bothered. I own it. :p

I hope you, @gene, could maybe leverage a deal to get one of these AV-41s on the test bench and be first to put the details out on the street! We are hungry for some love! We miss you Gene. Please come back. :D
The price point for that pre pro is very enticing. If it's tested and it's stable and bug free with Dirac? Wow that's a game changer there

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There is no “Fully Functional” HDMI 2.1 device. Repeat. There is not a single device on the market that supports every single feature of the HDMI 2.1 spec. The new Arcams support 40gbps, not the full 48gbps of HDMI 2.1 spec. There are a few more missing features of the spec as well. That is some serious coin for devices that aren’t quite state of the art. I’m sure everything they do, they do very well. But, they don’t do it all and that is a lot to pay for “almost had it.”
Not again... ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
We don't care about that. We want to see somebody buy that $5,500 Rotel AVR you wanted. :D
One thing I'm excited about with these new recievers is they only power the front 7. Beyond that you need an amp.

I think that's really awesome I know it's not practical but I wish more would do this. They can make they're power supply a lot more robust.

I think on they're higher end models if I read the specs right it's 7×100 all channels driven at 8 ohms and 7×180 all channels driven 4 ohms. That's a big deal. That kind of power on tap is more then enough for most anyone's base layer You'd only need a much less expensive amp to run the atmos speakers

I'm super curious to see if these get reviewed

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Arcam’s 2022 AV product lineup is here. Just above the entry-level AVR5 receiver introduced last year, we now have the AVR11 ($3,050), AVR21 ($4,700), and AVR31 ($6,900) receivers. All offer 8K video passthrough, Dirac Live room correction, and support for every audio format under the sun. The 16-channel AV41 processor ($5,250) offers balanced outputs for all channels.

View attachment 57367

Read: Arcam 2022 New 8K AV Receivers & Processor Overview

The AVR11, AVR21, AVR31, and AV41 are all shipping now from authorized Arcam dealers, such as Audio Advice in my home state of North Carolina. For more information, check out this informative video from the folks at Audio Advice.
Hey Gene is there any chance these might get bench tested and reviewed down the road? I think a lot of us are curious about both the AVRs and especially that pre pro

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
There is no “Fully Functional” HDMI 2.1 device. Repeat. There is not a single device on the market that supports every single feature of the HDMI 2.1 spec. The new Arcams support 40gbps, not the full 48gbps of HDMI 2.1 spec. There are a few more missing features of the spec as well. That is some serious coin for devices that aren’t quite state of the art. I’m sure everything they do, they do very well. But, they don’t do it all and that is a lot to pay for “almost had it.”
Always trade offs.

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
One thing I'm excited about with these new recievers is they only power the front 7. Beyond that you need an amp.

I think that's really awesome I know it's not practical but I wish more would do this. They can make they're power supply a lot more robust.

I think on they're higher end models if I read the specs right it's 7×100 all channels driven at 8 ohms and 7×180 all channels driven 4 ohms. That's a big deal. That kind of power on tap is more then enough for most anyone's base layer You'd only need a much less expensive amp to run the atmos speakers

Anything more than 7 channels just soon get a processor and your amps. Edit: for a dedicated HT room, you'd need one other than that, probably wasted in a the living small room.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

IMO the main reason to get an AVR is so that you have a one-box-solution and you're willing to compromise on the heat buildup inside the AVR due to the amps.

If you're thinking of getting an 8Ch external amp for Atmos 9.1.6 (15Ch = 7 internal + 8 external), might as well just get an AVP + Amps.

If you're concerned about heat buildup due to having too many amps inside the AVR, again, just get an AVP. Probably not much difference between 7Ch amp vs 9Ch amp inside the AVR. :D

My HT is 5.1.4. It would be silly to get an AVR with just 7Ch and have to get a separate 2Ch external amp. I would rather just get a 9Ch AVR for my 5.1.4 and not have to worry about spending another grand on external amps. I mean is there much difference in heat buildup between 7Ch vs 9Ch or even 11Ch? :D

I think the ONLY 2 reasons any AUDIOPHILE would buy an AVR would be:
1. One-box solution to save space or just don't care about separates
2. They don't want to spend that much money, certainly not spend $3K-5K on the AVR + external amps. If they can spend $5K, they would probably just buy an AVP + amp. :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
IMO the main reason to get an AVR is so that you have a one-box-solution and you're willing to compromise on the heat buildup inside the AVR due to the amps.

If you're thinking of getting an 8Ch external amp for Atmos 9.1.6 (15Ch = 7 internal + 8 external), might as well just get an AVP + Amps.

If you're concerned about heat buildup due to having too many amps inside the AVR, again, just get an AVP. Probably not much difference between 7Ch amp vs 9Ch amp inside the AVR. :D

My HT is 5.1.4. It would be silly to get an AVR with just 7Ch and have to get a separate 2Ch external amp. I would rather just get a 9Ch AVR for my 5.1.4 and not have to worry about spending another grand on external amps. I mean is there much difference in heat buildup between 7Ch vs 9Ch or even 11Ch? :D

2. They don't want to spend that much money, certainly not spend $3K-5K on the AVR + external amps. If they can spend $5K, they would probably just buy an AVP + amp.
I agree I just think based on they're pricing that they aren't exactly going after the average consumer just buy one thing with everything stuffed in a box crowd. Denon pretty much has that level covered they're hard ti beat at they're price points

Which is why beefing up the bed layer may be a good idea for Arcam if they are indeed going after more serious hobbyists in our audio community.

I tell you what that pre pro looks interesting for that price with Dirac included

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anything more than 7 channels just soon get a processor and your amps.
Well, maybe more than 9Ch since I have 5.1.4 = 9Ch. :D

I tell you what, though - my 11Ch AVP and 11Ch external Amp both stay COOL as a cucumber all the time. :cool:

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
Well, maybe more than 9Ch since I have 5.1.4 = 9Ch. :D
Atmos you talking about? What about the front heights and front wide. Plus what you have that be 7.2.4 plus 4 more come to 7.2.8? I read somewhere and I new here, you got 7.10.4 plus 4 more up front comes to, 7.10.8 x that by how many total speakers you have in one room comes to 25 speakers in one room o_O

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Atmos you talking about? What about the front heights and front wide. Plus what you have that be 7.2.4 plus 4 more come to 7.2.8? I read somewhere and I new here, you got 7.10.4 plus 4 more up front comes to, 7.10.8 x that by how many total speakers you have in one room comes to 25 speakers in one room o_O
No, I just have 5.10.4 = 5 Floor Speakers + 10 Subwoofers + 4 Ceiling Speakers.

So a 9Ch AVR would power the 9 speakers (5 + 4 speakers) and an external amp would power the 10 subwoofers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

2. They don't want to spend that much money, certainly not spend $3K-5K on the AVR + external amps. If they can spend $5K, they would probably just buy an AVP + amp. :D
I'm the guy that bought a 2ch amp because I have a 7.4.4 system and needed 2 more channels for front Atmos speakers. There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Anyway, I'd love to have separates, but my system sounds great as is so no complaints. I have sensitive speakers though so if I were to ever upgrade to something that needs more omph on the low ohm speakers I'd 100% be looking at an outboard amp or two.

As it is I've got the 9ch amp in my AVR, a 2ch for front Atmos, a 2ch for front subs, and another 2ch for rear subs. Be nice to button that up a bit better.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm the guy that bought a 2ch amp because I have a 7.4.4 system and needed 2 more channels for front Atmos speakers. There are dozens of us. DOZENS!

Anyway, I'd love to have separates, but my system sounds great as is so no complaints. I have sensitive speakers though so if I were to ever upgrade to something that needs more omph on the low ohm speakers I'd 100% be looking at an outboard amp or two.

As it is I've got the 9ch amp in my AVR, a 2ch for front Atmos, a 2ch for front subs, and another 2ch for rear subs. Be nice to button that up a bit better.
What are your speakers again? I forgot. Are they in your signature?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That was the point. I am sure there are more than a dozen. :D

If you had an 11CH AVR, you wouldn't need to buy the 2CH external amp. The AVR alone would power all 11 speakers.

If you had bought the 7Ch-amp Arcam, you would need to buy a 4Ch-external amp. :D

Let's say I'm a millionaire and I didn't care for multiple amps. Sure, I might spend $7K for a flagship AVR if I wanted to. Why would I want to buy another box for amps? If I wanted to buy another box for amps, I might as well buy a separate AVP since I am a millionaire. :D

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
That was the point. I am sure there are more than a dozen. :D

If you had an 11CH AVR, you wouldn't need to buy the 2CH external amp. The AVR alone would power all 11 speakers.

If you had bought the 7Ch-amp Arcam, you would need to buy a 4Ch-external amp. :D
You already know I'm not going anywhere soon. I backed out, we all know it's smelly gas natural leaks can do to you.

CreoleDC

CreoleDC

Junior Audioholic
Also if Yamaha could get rid of that ridiculous nanny protection that bottlenecks they're recievers. And yeah they gotta get rid of YPAO
Sorry Yamaha :D
Don't be sorry, Yamaha did that to themselves. I was just told by a very reliable source that Denon is going to have DIRC in the next models X3800 will have that.
That should put Yamaha in their place.. :)

Screenshot_20220820-102301~3.png

Yamaha gonna still be sending promised updates that never arrived. :D
Sorry:eek:Yamaha. :p

Last edited:
E

Exeon

Audiophyte
There is little to no difference between these "new" models and their predecessors.
They are basically the same AVR's but with the "optional" HDMI 2.1 upgrade already installed, at a marked up price.

Luckily for me dealers here are getting rid of their "old stock", managed to grab the AVR20 (demo model) at a 26% discount with full warranty from an official dealer.
That's a pretty sweet deal imo, I was sold after demoing the unit myself.

These arcam AVR's are really expensive, but honestly they have a combined feature set you can't find elsewhere (yet)
I wish gene did a review on this one, with many brands doing price markups on their existing models, the gap closes quite a bit.
Still would never pay MSRP for any of them, and I feel the AVR20 or AV40 is where it's at.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't be sorry, Yamaha did that to themselves. I was just told by a very reliable source that Denon is going to have DIRC in the next models X3800 will have that.

reliable source for a reliable rumor??:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis