Separates equivalent to AVC-X6700H

koolego

koolego

Audiophyte
Hi
For some time now, I have planned to go with AVC-X6700H system for my home theatre setup. However, I am shifting to look at separates. The problem is pricing is all over the place, so it's hard to get a starting point to start my research.

Therefore using the AVC-X6700H, what would be an good separate comparison for processor and amps in my home theatre system?

Thanks in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try the reviews of various avrs/pre-pros here as well as audiosciencereview.com? What's your budget, tho? That's the biggest difference to an extent....

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pre-pros will always cost more. There is less of a market for them
@$3300US, you will be hard pressed to find anything similar to the Denon.

Why not just get the Denon and run it in full pre-amp mode with the Amp-Stage Rails disconnected and use your own Amps for the full range of Speakers you wish to apply.
That will be the most cost effective solution.

With the Monolith HTP-1 being defacto-discontinued, there is nothing else remotely close south of $6000US.
Perhaps the Anthem? But you'd frankly be better off with the Denon...

...or get a placeholder that you can use for a year or so until next gen product hits the street.

(There are no announcements of anything from Denon/Marantz, Yamaha, etc for release this year. For D&M, that will be 2 years running. Yamaha should be due to update their Pre-Pro, but that won't happen until they fix their own HDMI issues... which is a big part of what is holding everything up. (Well, that and a burgeoning recession on top of chip shortages and still having shipping woes....).)

Frankly, one of the Anthem or JBL SDP-58 may be the best options if you are buying now, but you can expect to pay double the 6700 cost for the AVM-90 and SDP-58. The other Anthem pre/pro may serve the purpose for your needs if you are insistent.

Avoid Emotiva at all costs. FTW

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would say the Marantz AV-7706 and Yamaha CX-A5200 and its successor (probably CX-A5300).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt any of those pre-pros actually differ much to the capabilities of the 6700 in pre-amp mode otoh....maybe even the 4700 would be sufficient but speaker format hasn't been specified let alone the particular speakers or levels/distances, etc

koolego

koolego

Audiophyte
Awesome thanks for some great tips.

Feeling like it could be smart to start off with x6700h as a pre-amp and look for a couple of AMPS. Do people gravitate around any brands of AMPS?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure what Rails disconnected means? Is that a setting or a manual intervention?
It would mean the power amp disconnected from the DC supply rail. That is a common myth about the Denon and Marantz preamp mode. The fact is, the power amp section is always connected to the rail but in preamp mode the power amp's inputs are disconnected from the preamp/dac outputs. That way, the preamp/dac section of the AVR will be acting like a Marantz AV7706, except it doesn't have balanced outputs, but it also will have much lower THD+N (total harmonic distortions+noise) than the Marantz AV7705, 7706 etc.., based on bench test results.

You can read the detailed reviews of both on ASR:

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Marantz AV7705 Review (AV Processor) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have planned to go with AVC-X6700H system for my home theatre setup. However, I am shifting to look at separates.
The question is why do you want to look at "SEPARATES"?

Both AVR and separates AVP + Amps will sound equally good. So either way is good.

But some people still want separates for their own reasons.

If you are okay with using AVR, then the X6700 or equivalent AVR like Yamaha RX-A6A is good.

witchdoctor

witchdoctor

Full Audioholic
Awesome thanks for some great tips.

Feeling like it could be smart to start off with x6700h as a pre-amp and look for a couple of AMPS. Do people gravitate around any brands of AMPS?
What are you trying to achieve, more volume? Lower noise? If you want new equipment what in your current setup are you looking to improve?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Usually ATI amps or amps made by ATI (Outlaw, Monoprice). Also Anthem, Parasound, Rotel.

It might seem funny, but it seems the OLDER I get, the more I gravitate toward just using AVR and not using external amps, except for my 12 passive subwoofers which require external amps.

I started out in this hobby using AVR. Then very quickly went to separates for most of my life. Then now that I am 51 YR old, I am gravitating back to AVR. Probably means I am getting OLD. :D

But I still have my Yamaha AVP and amp and ATI 200WPC amp. No reason to change right now.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Usually ATI amps or amps made by ATI (Outlaw, Monoprice). Also Anthem, Parasound, Rotel.

It might seem funny, but it seems the OLDER I get, the more I gravitate toward just using AVR and not using external amps, except for my 12 passive subwoofers which require external amps.

I started out in this hobby using AVR. Then very quickly went to separates for most of my life. Then now that I am 51 YR old, I am gravitating back to AVR. Probably means I am getting OLD. :D

But I still have my Yamaha AVP and amp and ATI 200WPC amp. No reason to change right now.
That's because when people get much older they would feel young again.. Separates tend to appeal to the middle age group who thought they were wiser.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It would mean the power amp disconnected from the DC supply rail. That is a common myth about the Denon and Marantz preamp mode. The fact is, the power amp section is always connected to the rail but in preamp mode the power amp's inputs are disconnected from the preamp/dac outputs. That way, the preamp/dac section of the AVR will be acting like a Marantz AV7706, except it doesn't have balanced outputs, but it also will have much lower THD+N (total harmonic distortions+noise) than the Marantz AV7705, 7706 etc.., based on bench test results.

You can read the detailed reviews of both on ASR:

Denon AVR-X6700H AVR Review (Updated) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Marantz AV7705 Review (AV Processor) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Thank you for correcting, clarifying that, Peng!

N

Ngpaw

Audioholic Intern
Once you get that AARP card it’s official. Did you get the card Acu ?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's because when people get much older they would feel young again.. Separates tend to appeal to the middle age group who thought they were wiser.
The circle of life - you start out as a "baby" and you end up a "baby". :D

koolego

koolego

Audiophyte
It would mean the power amp disconnected......
Thanks for explaining, this is helpful.

The question is why do you want to look at "SEPARATES"?
What are you trying to achieve, more volume? Lower noise? If you want new equipment what in your current setup are you looking to improve?
Building a dedicated home theater room, its been a journey over a few years but getting close now. Equipment I have now is zip. Planning to have a JVC Projector and DIYsoundgroup speakers (if they ever get stock again) as they will be behind the screen and columns so you will not see them.

I have a comms room in the theatre so I will not see or hear the equipment running.

The reason I am interested in separates is during heavy moments in a movie your AV is being asked to work very hard while separates have less of a problem here allowing the same quality at all levels. I am only young, just 54 :) so I do not have a lot of experience in Audio only to research what is good and what is bad.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The reason I am interested in separates is during heavy moments in a movie your AV is being asked to work very hard while separates have less of a problem here allowing the same quality at all levels. I am only young, just 54 :) so I do not have a lot of experience in Audio only to research what is good and what is bad.
External amps with an avr can do quite well. Even with separates, you'll need sufficient amps, too. What amp were you thinking about? How many channels of amp do you need?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

For the Amp I have no idea at this stage. Channel wise 7.4.2
Recommendations?

Speakers
LFR x 3
Sound sides and back x 4
Atmos x 4
Marty 18 inch subs x 2
I'd generally simply start with the avr (with the appropriate amp channels needed) and see if you actually need external amps, particularly with the 1099's sensitivity. The 4700 may work fine, too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis