R

rlafon1714

Audiophyte
I recently purchase a Nintendo Wii. I am try to run it through a Denon Avr X8500H that is connected to a Samsung Q900 TV. I have the tv connected to the receiver via HDMI. The Wii has the old red, white and yellow AV cables. I have it connected to the game input in the back of the avr unit. I turn the power on the game console and select game input on the receiver then select Denon X8500 on the tv and I get no video signal on the tv. It will just read Denon across the screen. I do not know wht else to do. Can anyone possibly direct on what to do?

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
You need to go into the setup menu and configure the analog inputs and maybe set it to unconvert to HDMI.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The video conversion feature should be on by default but issues may arise with certain game consoles when connected using a composite(Yellow) cable. This is why the unit also includes a composite(Yellow) Monitor output port. But, this doesn't do any good if the TV does not have a composite(Yellow) input port or breakout port for analog connections. I don't think the Q one connect box has composite or breakout ports. If the Denon cannot convert the signal, you would need an RF Modulator to convert the composite connection signal of the Wii into a coaxial connection signal and use a coaxial cable to the ANT IN port of the Q one box. Let's just hope the Video Conversion feature just needs to be flipped on and works.
Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 2.48.54 PM.png

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not familiar with the 8500H but the video and audio inputs usually have to be assigned to a specific input within the menu system to make it active. Then you can select that input. With composite video, exit the Denon menu because it may not display with the menu active. My Wii came with both composite and component video cables (5 connector cable with red + white for audio and green, blue, red for video). The component video signal will be better quality. You should be able to use the Cable, DVD or Blueray component connections and use the corresponding Cable / DVD / Blueray audio inputs.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If the assignment for the Game input has not been changed to remove the HDMI input as the preferred port, it may not look to the composite(VIDEO) input port for a signal. Change the Game HDMI setting so that it shows a dash and not a number for the corresponding port. Then, see if the conversion works. If you also have the component video cables, you'd reassign one of the component(COMP)input connectors to the Game input source. Hope you work it out.
Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 12.21.00 PM.png

R

rlafon1714

Audiophyte
I'm not familiar with the 8500H but the video and audio inputs usually have to be assigned to a specific input within the menu system to make it active. Then you can select that input. With composite video, exit the Denon menu because it may not display with the menu active. My Wii came with both composite and component video cables (5 connector cable with red + white for audio and green, blue, red for video). The component video signal will be better quality. You should be able to use the Cable, DVD or Blueray component connections and use the corresponding Cable / DVD / Blueray audio inputs.
Thank you for your help and input.

R

rlafon1714

Audiophyte
I tried assigning the inputs and that didn’t seem to work. So after some further research I found a composite av to hdmi converter. And that seemed to do the trick.

D

Douglas C

Audiophyte
Hi all: I actually have a similar issue here and is actually worst. With my old Wii connected to denon avc x8500H and with the analog audio and component video cables connected to DVD (audio in 2) and (components 2) (both defaulted to DVD). Video conversion has also been turned on. Nothing happens, neither sound nor video comes up when I turn the input to DVD. Any idea what might be the issues? Thanks for any insight .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi all: I actually have a similar issue here and is actually worst. With my old Wii connected to denon avc x8500H and with the analog audio and component video cables connected to DVD (audio in 2) and (components 2) (both defaulted to DVD). Video conversion has also been turned on. Nothing happens, neither sound nor video comes up when I turn the input to DVD. Any idea what might be the issues? Thanks for any insight .
I find it rather odd that you have the same issue as the original poster with the same X8500H. Anyone contacted Denon support over this? You may have to resort to a composite video to HDMI converter like the op above. I would try the CBL/Sat and the BlueRay component connections as well, and if they do not work, try the composite video connection (yellow) as well. Did you make sure that HDMI input #2 DVD is not in use? I can't think of anything else that would conflict with the input assignments but it could be that only one DVD connection is allowed even if you have them assigned to other channels or inputs. I would also try both monitor outputs 1 and 2 in case there is a conversion issue.

D

Douglas C

Audiophyte
I finally got a analog to HDMI adaptor and it now works. So I think the denon Amps do have issue in working with the old tech wIiand the issue is more then just an video upscaling issue.

the only more minor issue that remains is that there are still the angle or edges when wii is displaced on my Sony OLED TV via my denon X8500H.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I finally got a analog to HDMI adaptor and it now works. So I think the denon Amps do have issue in working with the old tech wIiand the issue is more then just an video upscaling issue.

the only more minor issue that remains is that there are still the angle or edges when wii is displaced on my Sony OLED TV via my denon X8500H.
It's weird that both you and the original poster can not get component in to work with a Wii on a modern and relatively high end AVR like the X8500H, especially given that there are three sets of component inputs and composite inputs. I tried searching for X8500H component input issues and came up blank. The edge issues could be due to the analogue to HDMI adapter. I still have some anime VHS tapes and when my Denon AVR upscales those I do get some edge artifacts.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
They do warn that images from game consoles may not convert. You'd think the Wii is new enough that it would work. My old Pioneer LaserActive would not convert on my old Denon. The Denon does have component and composite output but fewer and fewer new TVs offer any analog inputs or breakout ports anymore and many have to resort to a converter box for older game consoles. Whatever the source port used, one needs to make sure that only the connections used by the console are assigned to the source and all else are blank and display dashes. It may not help, but couldn't hurt to turn on i/p scaler for analog as well as HDMI signals to upscale the converted analog signal to the TVs supported resolution(Auto) and see if it produces a picture.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My wii uses component video cables and RCA left right. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Are you connected to a receiver and successfully converting the signal for HDMI output?
It’s going directly to a 2009 Panasonic 1080p plasma in the living room so if I did hook it up to the Yamaha A770 then the best it might do is upconvert to 1080p. That’s only a 3.2 setup.

My UHD TV is in my theater room / den with Atmos 5.1.4.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis