Black Thought + Danger Mouse: Cheat Codes Aug 12, 2022

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
D@mn. Been living under a rock. (Still, again, some more... :p )

Announced back in May. Black Thought is easily one of the most talented MCs out there. Danger Mouse one of the most sought after producers. This is gonna be a top notch album.
1658691123300.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Any of the Roots accompanying?
I don't think so. Tariq (Black Thought) has been doing some solo work that is pretty solid. Search out Streams Of Thought. They are all good. I liked Vol.3 best, I think.
I've been curious if the Roots were just taking it easy for their Fallon gig or what. I know ?uestlove has kept busy. He's been doing everything under the sun from Directing, producing, writing... you name it.

I'd love to see the Roots come back with new music as a band. I've enjoyed their stuff since first being introduced to their music with Things Fall Apart. Stunning album! Moreover, I don't think any two of their albums sound alike: they were always pushing their style which is very commendable.

Regardless, Tariq had been silent for awhile, it seemed, when I heard his freestyle from back in 2017:
Probably 2019 when I heard it... Streams of Thought Vol.1 was in 2018 and that was out, but not vol2.
Last Roots Album was 2014? I think.

That freestyle is legit. One take. He doesn't miss a beat.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah thought Tariq did this completely separately from the Roots but wasn't sure....and it would be a kick if they just showed up to help jam.....
Questlove is one of my favorites, glad to see him get that Oscar for his wonderful film (altho not so much as a segue to the Smith slap).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ooh...
I missed one: another single dropped last week:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah thought Tariq did this completely separately from the Roots but wasn't sure....and it would be a kick if they just showed up to help jam.....
Questlove is one of my favorites, glad to see him get that Oscar for his wonderful film (altho not so much as a segue to the Smith slap).
Even though nothing's been announced, maybe they feel it's just played out... or perhpas they are busy enough with the Fallon gig and their own individual lives they can't tour to support an album? Add the last few years of Covid-fcukery to the mix...
There is a lot of talent in that group, and their music has been a gift I've been grateful to receive.
If I can only get parts of them, I'll take it! ;)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The Roots still play live gigs pretty often, despite not releasing albums in a while. I like a lot of the stuff featuring Mos Def and/or Talib Kwali. I agree, Things Fall Apart is my favorite album. Black Thought seems to be under rated to me.

I've only seen them live once, around 2001 or so. They played at the old gymnasium on my college campus, kind of an odd venue since the campus had bigger and better venues. It's also the only show I ever recall there during my time. It was like $5 admission with a student ID.

On a side note, one year we had Ludacris on the south lawn for free, another year it was Medeski/Martin/Wood.

Tour dates

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis