Denon AVR-1913 Firmware

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
I have to humbly admit that I did the stupidest thing…I tried updating the firmware (hard wired off course) on my aforementioned AVR:eek:
Long story short, after doing many resets It is still « Update retry » dead loop. Funny how it sometimes give me the 0E error and then start retrying again…That is going on for 5 days now.
Denon support is helpless they want me to send it to the repair shop…Before I spend money on this I will update for a newer version but its in my second living room for the kids…
My questions are as follow: Anyone has the DWF file I can push directly to this sucker? I dont even know what are other options…SSH via network or USB in front maybe the FFC cable in the back? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not much the consumer can do. I'm surprised you found any firmware to update with for such an old avr in the first place. My rule of thumb is not do a firmware update without knowing what it "fixes" (and if nothing that pertains to your use...just skip it). Other than using a hardwire internet connection, not much you can do to make a firmware update smoother....Denon doesn't freely offer downloadable firmware updates so you can use a thumb drive, I'd think Denon would have offered that. You may need your firmware reflashed and only certain Denon authorized facilities will have that capability.....

FWIW when I need to check firmware update specifics I use the denon.jp site with a translation (it's all in Japanese). I don't see your avr model listed there https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/support/update, altho surprising did find some models of similar age....

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
Thanks you for taking the time!
There was a firmware update because I haven’t done one ever!
I had alteady read one of your post on the denon.jp site without succes. I guess its a North American model.
The reset being the 2 buttons plus power? Yup done it a few times already. Unless there is a deeper reset to do? I haven’t seen it in the service manual.
Although in page 52 of said manual (attached below) there is the procedure to flash it. If I can only find the damned firmware file…One would think that accessing the firmware repository wouldn’t be such a tedious and opaque use case…

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks you for taking the time!
There was a firmware update because I haven’t done one ever!
I had alteady read one of your post on the denon.jp site without succes. I guess its a North American model.
The reset being the 2 buttons plus power? Yup done it a few times already. Unless there is a deeper reset to do? I haven’t seen it in the service manual.
Although in page 52 of said manual (attached below) there is the procedure to flash it. If I can only find the damned firmware file…One would think that accessing the firmware repository wouldn’t be such a tedious and opaque use case…
Unfortunately when a Firmware update goes adrift, then the unit has be to sent to a factory service center to have the BIOS re-flashed. Unfortunately there is no other option.

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
If you look the service manual at p 63 attached below, its possible to update through USB. I understand that the bios has to get flashed and its not rocket science. What I do not get is that I can’t find any firmware file across the web. Beats me :mad:

PS @lovinthehd if you look section 3.1 of page 63 down there, the model in NA is 1913 but its 2113 in EU and china and japan according to denon.jp ;)

Attachments

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I could not find any ftp servers or web sites with the Denon firmware files. On some models, the factory reset will restore the original firmware. If resetting the AVR has failed, I agree with the others in that the unit will have to go back to Denon.

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
So after all Denon technical service finally came through! After reading my incident report # and all the back and forth someone had the presence to put me through the right person. I’ll spare you guys the whole detail chat but apparently there is a deep reset that circumvent that « Update Retry » loop. Its not in the service manual but known by Denon service center… Here’s is a copy of the chat with the procedure. Anthony is the man, my AVR is working like new.

I have no idea how to make it more obvious for others to find in the forum as this procedure will most likely help more than just myself. Thank you all for pitching in!

Attachments

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
Not much the consumer can do. I'm surprised you found any firmware to update with for such an old avr in the first place. My rule of thumb is not do a firmware update without knowing what it "fixes" (and if nothing that pertains to your use...just skip it). Other than using a hardwire internet connection, not much you can do to make a firmware update smoother....Denon doesn't freely offer downloadable firmware updates so you can use a thumb drive, I'd think Denon would have offered that. You may need your firmware reflashed and only certain Denon authorized facilities will have that capability.....

FWIW when I need to check firmware update specifics I use the denon.jp site with a translation (it's all in Japanese). I don't see your avr model listed there https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/support/update, altho surprising did find some models of similar age....
I meant to do a thumbs up…I guess I have fat fingers and the thumbs down was press By mistake I dont get how to undo it, sorry ‍ :oops:

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I meant to do a thumbs up…I guess I have fat fingers and the thumbs down was press By mistake I dont get how to undo it, sorry ‍
When you click a Like or other reaction, the text changes to Remove. Just tap it again and change your reaction to something else.

MontrealJazz

MontrealJazz

Enthusiast
Look at the photo you just posted. ;) Left of the "Reply" link it says "Remove". Click Remove and then select another reaction.
Thanks, now I know! Very hard to hide my newbiness on the forum!! ;)

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, now I know! Very hard to hide my newbiness on the forum!! ;)
The fat-finger syndrome happens to me but I’ve usually, not always, managed to correct that before anyone comments. :D

Google a former prominent NY mayor that happens to butt-call on a regular basis. Much harder to correct that mistake o_O

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So after all Denon technical service finally came through! After reading my incident report # and all the back and forth someone had the presence to put me through the right person. I’ll spare you guys the whole detail chat but apparently there is a deep reset that circumvent that « Update Retry » loop. Its not in the service manual but known by Denon service center… Here’s is a copy of the chat with the procedure. Anthony is the man, my AVR is working like new.

I have no idea how to make it more obvious for others to find in the forum as this procedure will most likely help more than just myself. Thank you all for pitching in!
That is really interesting. The only issue is that I bet the button hold combination is not the same for all units.

Was that button combination the same as for the standard hard reset, with just the unplug/plugin routine added?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Was about to suggest calling again and trying to get it kicked up the ladder so to speak based on the info in the service manual....the last time I had a firmware update loading issue I think I fixed by either a soft or basic reset....but that was quite a while ago and don't really remember, but good to know there's another level of reset particularly for the stuck firmware updating thing, which many updating via wifi only run into (like me that time, but I needed/wanted that particular update). Interesting about that model number difference for different markets, too....

F

Frankieboy

Audiophyte

Je n’arrive pas croire que j’ai enfin la solution pour rebrancher mon avr-1913 à mon réseau. Depuis au moins 2 ans que je dois passer par mon Apple tv. Il est de nouveau accessible via AirPlay. Merci

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Je n’arrive pas croire que j’ai enfin la solution pour rebrancher mon avr-1913 à mon réseau. Depuis au moins 2 ans que je dois passer par mon Apple tv. Il est de nouveau accessible via AirPlay. Merci
Bienvenue à Audioholics,

Vous avez enfin rejoint le bon site pour résoudre une multitude de problèmes, et avoir accès à des avis de membres qui se font un plaisir de renseigner et de partager leur opinion. De plus, vous avez la possibilité de prendre connaissance d'évaluations de nouveaux produits, avec de l'équipement de précision par des experts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis