Anyone audition PSB Imagine XB to Polk Reserve series? (R100, R200)

A

Apichai

Audioholic Intern
I'm looking for a small-ish bookshelf speakers for my living room that is not too picky on placement. I have listened to Polk R200 and Triangle BR03 in a local shop and kinda like Polk more. The low end is good, the mid is just full and treble has detail but not overly sharp (I also audition B&W 606 which I don't like). Borea is not bad but felt kinda plain when A-B testing with polk.

However, another shop just have the PSB Imagine XB on deep discount which got me interested. I haven't have chances to audition them yet. I wonder how they compare in sound signature and style. I will not have chance to audition them side by side.

While the R200 are nice, I think they are quite large for bookshelf, and maybe need some room to be best. Off axis performance seems to be lessen but still OK. I haven't listened to R100 yet, but the size fits me better. My space is around 4x5x3m (12x15x9 ft) with quite a bit of open space here and there.

Please share your experience with them.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'm looking for a small-ish bookshelf speakers for my living room that is not too picky on placement. I have listened to Polk R200 and Triangle BR03 in a local shop and kinda like Polk more. The low end is good, the mid is just full and treble has detail but not overly sharp (I also audition B&W 606 which I don't like). Borea is not bad but felt kinda plain when A-B testing with polk.

However, another shop just have the PSB Imagine XB on deep discount which got me interested. I haven't have chances to audition them yet. I wonder how they compare in sound signature and style. I will not have chance to audition them side by side.

While the R200 are nice, I think they are quite large for bookshelf, and maybe need some room to be best. Off axis performance seems to be lessen but still OK. I haven't listened to R100 yet, but the size fits me better. My space is around 4x5x3m (12x15x9 ft) with quite a bit of open space here and there.

Please share your experience with them.
@shadyJ did a very detailed review and testing of Polk's R700 tower's. Don't know if you read his review but for a Polk Audio speaker line it was very impressive to say the least. Check it out on Gene's homepage.

A

Apichai

Audioholic Intern
Thanks, I think most of the reviews are focused on critical listening at the "sweet spot" with proper placement. In that case, the R series perform very well. However, I saw some people may have issue with placement on the R200 since I believe it's kinda picky for best performance.

In my setting, I will have to use it as bookshelf, not standmount. So, it will be placed on top of the cabinet at slightly lower than ear level and quite close to the rear wall (1 feet max). Listening area will not be in the sweet spot. In that case, I'm not sure if the R200 will perform at its best and should I get something else? With front port? Or maybe I'm over reacting the situation? Short lists are the R100, R200, PSB Imagine XB, Elac DBR62, Dali Spektor 2...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, I think most of the reviews are focused on critical listening at the "sweet spot" with proper placement. In that case, the R series perform very well. However, I saw some people may have issue with placement on the R200 since I believe it's kinda picky for best performance.

In my setting, I will have to use it as bookshelf, not standmount. So, it will be placed on top of the cabinet at slightly lower than ear level and quite close to the rear wall (1 feet max). Listening area will not be in the sweet spot. In that case, I'm not sure if the R200 will perform at its best and should I get something else? With front port? Or maybe I'm over reacting the situation? Short lists are the R100, R200, PSB Imagine XB, Elac DBR62, Dali Spektor 2...
Is the shelve inside a cabinet? Also, what is on either side of the speaker once it is placed? You may have other issues more problematic then exciting the bass frequencies, which can be tamed with EQ or if a sub will be used by plugging the port.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Read as many reviews as you can and take them for what appeals most to you or not. Everyone's ears are different for music and what sounds best for them. I am not into measurements and YT has some hearing test reviews that might be able to sort out some of your preferences. Also, if the speakers have a wide dispersion or not, if that is important, in your setting.

Take in the reviews as you read or hear, and decide...............Are you into music? More into HT? or both?

A

Apichai

Audioholic Intern
Thanks all. The speakers will be place on top of cabinet, which will not be at ear level. They will be for 2.0 music only. I forgot to mention that the electronic will be a vintage amp with decent power, feed in by a dac and stream through raspberry pi on wifi and occasionally from bluetooth.

I went and try the psb today and I think their mid is too thick for my taste. I also audition dali spektor 1 which I really like the tone, just need a little more bass. The larger model is out of stock everywhere in my country.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks all. The speakers will be place on top of cabinet, which will not be at ear level. They will be for 2.0 music only. I forgot to mention that the electronic will be a vintage amp with decent power, feed in by a dac and stream through raspberry pi on wifi and occasionally from bluetooth.

I went and try the psb today and I think their mid is too thick for my taste. I also audition dali spektor 1 which I really like the tone, just need a little more bass. The larger model is out of stock everywhere in my country.
How far away will you be sitting from the speakers and how loud would you like them to play?

A

Apichai

Audioholic Intern
How far away will you be sitting from the speakers and how loud would you like them to play?
maybe around 2-5m (~6-15ft). I'm not playing loud, quiet to medium loudness. Certainly not blasting or rocking the house.

A

Apichai

Audioholic Intern
I went to more audition. Here's the result;
R200 - good bass, slightly exciting at treble, but not harsh by any means. Very fun with rock music.
R100 - less bass than I like, maybe because it was A-B with R200, slightly cooler voice, which works well with female vocal I guess. Similar treble to R200. Speaker size is perfect and very sleek looking.
DBR62 - Bass is very good, and I can felt some slightly more texture in some song, maybe because it was A-B to other speakers. Treble is less sparkle (to Polk) but has zero tendency to fatigue. I think I like the sound signature slightly more than polk. The cabinet is quite big and old-school looking.
B6.2 - Too much treble for me. Imaging is good though.

Nevertheless, I may need to change to smaller room in the house (3x4m ~ 10x13ft). Not sure if DBR62 will be too big for the room or not. For both physical and bass amount.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I went to more audition. Here's the result;
R200 - good bass, slightly exciting at treble, but not harsh by any means. Very fun with rock music.
R100 - less bass than I like, maybe because it was A-B with R200, slightly cooler voice, which works well with female vocal I guess. Similar treble to R200. Speaker size is perfect and very sleek looking.
DBR62 - Bass is very good, and I can felt some slightly more texture in some song, maybe because it was A-B to other speakers. Treble is less sparkle (to Polk) but has zero tendency to fatigue. I think I like the sound signature slightly more than polk. The cabinet is quite big and old-school looking.
B6.2 - Too much treble for me. Imaging is good though.

Nevertheless, I may need to change to smaller room in the house (3x4m ~ 10x13ft). Not sure if DBR62 will be too big for the room or not. For both physical and bass amount.
At your distance, the smaller room will work better and most likely lower the speaker closer to ear level. Your placement would have caused a pretty big drop in the upper mid and treble.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis