W

william bravin

Audiophyte
Hello all
I would like to add a sub to my current system. It is built as follows
Source: HTPC with m-audio sound card with breakout cables (using the RCA connectors)
amp: McIntosh 2705 5 channels
Speakers: Magnaplanar 2.7r
Laa mysic ripped from iether high end cds or Vinyl all residing on a NAS

I guess what i need is a passive subwoofer that has a fast enough reponse to be in sync with the maggies.

I cannot seenm to find a good subwoofer (plenty excellent ones with amps)

any recommendation would be graetly appreciate

many thanks in advance for your recommendations

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all
Source: HTPC with m-audio sound card with breakout cables (using the RCA connectors)

I guess what i need is a passive subwoofer that has a fast enough reponse to be in sync with the maggies.

Because of the Magnaplanar speakers are di-pole radiators like the Quad ESL, they are notoriously difficult to integrate with a sub.

The Finish firm Gradient designed a di-polar sub for the Quad ESL. This was the only sub, that Peter Walker endorsed for use with his Quad ESLs.

I don't believe Gradient are still in business, so this gets you into eBay or DIY.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Magnapan has recently came out with a sub to go with their LRS speakers. It is an array of four 6.5" bass drivers in an open baffle configuration. I heard it at the last Axpona. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the way that complex sound field would interact with the room. I would just get a simple sealed sub or two. You might just go for one with an analog amp so as not to risk the inevitable global delay that comes with DSP. This delay can range from 5ms to 25ms. 25ms might not sound like a lot but that is a full cycle at 40Hz. Not many manufacturers use analog amps anymore. I would be looking at Hsu Research, Rythmik, Outlaw Audio, Rel Acoustics.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I learned this for a responsive sub driver. Direct couple a mid to low mass sub driver (s) with heavy short cabling, to a beefy pro amp (s). I use a DCX2496 as a controller for anything below 280hz. I use NU12000 (s). If the drivers are NOT direct coupled, they are not dampened. How can they be, there is an active XO in the way. Direct coupled, the delay is the least it can be. Cone overshoot and recovery is a lot lower which seems to equal a faster bass system. My bass system keeps up with small planars and ribbons. I don't know of anything faster than that. I use the same controller and amps for all non servo bass duty. I think it's better in some ways to tell the truth. I use 8" bass drivers and 10" (light mass) sub drivers. PE has some good drivers. HO44-10 is a favorite of mine. They will hit 20hz with pretty good authority. IB, passive radiator or ported.. I like a passive radiator. I usually add a way to adjust the mass from the outside. I use Mortite putty. It stays soft..

The di-pole thing I gave up on for stereo playback. I used and tweaked Infinity IRS Betas for 15+ years. Beautiful sound affects. :) Good bass system for the time too.

GR or Rythmik. I use GRs OB servo too. Pretty impressive they sure load a room differently. Easier on my ears for extended listening and as close to perfect playback as I have heard. Old ears to boot.. The cone mass is working in both directions with that system. It is faster by definition than any other non OB cone sub system. 2-4 double 12" will do the trick. DBA works best.. Don't stack or use bottom firing enclosures either.. They suck if they aren't in a slot. Vibration control, ay?

Time to feed my chickens, come on dog.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello all

I'd read some of Linkwitz notes but his thought was open baffle subs for his didpole and other speakers. His LX sub and a minidsp would work well, but as mentioned by the others, it isn't plug and play by any means.

The sub kit which is out of stock because of price of lumber but still can be built.

Edit: the GR sub mentioned will work, but his flat packs are expensive too and you'll pay a premium for it to be finished by Danny and you still need EQ.

W

william bravin

Audiophyte
Many thanks to all for your input, suggestions and education

I tried to look for Gradiant speakers to no satisfaction

I am in Communication with a california company called RSL speakers who apparently are artisans and have design a sw to mate with planar speakers.

However we are still a long way to conclusion. (i do not know how good they are)

Issues still to be resolved is the owner of the crossover function ( iwould imagin that it would be the sw) and any possible issues between the amp and the amp opn the sw.

I will also look at the other alternatives sw mentionned her

again many thanks all

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Many thanks to all for your input, suggestions and education

I tried to look for Gradiant speakers to no satisfaction

I am in Communication with a california company called RSL speakers who apparently are artisans and have design a sw to mate with planar speakers.

However we are still a long way to conclusion. (i do not know how good they are)

Issues still to be resolved is the owner of the crossover function ( iwould imagin that it would be the sw) and any possible issues between the amp and the amp opn the sw.

I will also look at the other alternatives sw mentionned her

again many thanks all
RSL is common in this forum and there reviews of their speakers here. To my knowledge they do not make OB subs and the EQing process will still be needed.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I'd read some of Linkwitz notes but his thought was open baffle subs for his didpole and other speakers. His LX sub and a minidsp would work well, but as mentioned by the others, it isn't plug and play by any means.

The sub kit which is out of stock because of price of lumber but still can be built.

Edit: the GR sub mentioned will work, but his flat packs are expensive too and you'll pay a premium for it to be finished by Danny and you still need EQ.
Yes GR is a bit spendy, BUT Danny will show YOU, how to integrate OB servos with your Maggies. He uses planars, too. There is a reason for MY suggestion.
There are subs, then there are SUBS, then there are Super Subs.. LOL There may be Super Duper Subs Too, I just haven't heard them yet.
I do have a pair of 20cf boxes with dual 15" Ultimax (s) and dual RS 18" passives, direct coupled. Pretty impressive.
No live bugs in that room, plaster either for that matter. They will back out sheet rock nails. You have to replace set nails with screws, and decouple the bins at least.
It stops waves in the neighbors pool too. The nasty water was getting on my tomato plants. They pee in their pool too I bet. YUK!

Regards

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis