Aria 936 and Anthem MRX1140

S

Swiz

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

So -> The journey begins!

Im going to be running a 5.4.2 with focal Aria 936 Fronts

Can the Anthem MRX1140 drive my fronts? Its rated at 140watt @8 OHM however I'm told it actually runs around 100watt. Anthem is 1% THD. So more like 100w clean at a very high volume, and thats just the fronts, the surrounds are less.

87F1451B-8192-4B14-9F6F-93EB35646DCF.jpeg

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Everyone,

So -> The journey begins!

Im going to be running a 5.4.2 with focal Aria 936 Fronts

Can the Anthem MRX1140 drive my fronts? Its rated at 140watt @8 OHM however I'm told it actually runs around 100watt. Anthem is 1% THD. So more like 100w clean at a very high volume, and thats just the fronts, the surrounds are less.

View attachment 56839
That is an adverse load. It is below four ohms from 80 to 500Hz. The phase angle is highly adverse at 80 Hz.

That is an expensive receiver, but no specs are available at below 6 ohms. I would recommend you protect that receiver with external amps to those speakers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Anthem MRX 1140 was tested and praised by Gene in his AudioHolics March 2022 review. His measurements showed values somewhat higher than Anthem’s claimed 140 Wpc. Importantly, this review did show this AVR can drive 4Ω loads.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/anthem-mrx-740-1140-receivers

The table shows a summary of the MRX 1140 power measurements.
1657574272892.png

¹ The CFP-BW test measured 203 W into 4Ω for a fraction of a second, but after that was 163 W due to current limitation.
² For similar reasons, the 1kHz Psweep into 4Ω was 176 W at 1% THD+N, and was limited to 174 W at 0.1%. (Edit: Table is now correct)

In the review, Gene explained three different methods he used to measure power:
  • Continuous Full Power Bandwidth (CFP-BW) from 20Hz to 20kHz into 8 and 4Ω loads (up to two-channels)
  • 1kHz Power Sweep vs. Distortion (1kHz PSweep) – an instantaneous power vs. distortion test at 1kHz popularized by the print magazines. This test often masks slew-related and/or frequency response problems some amplifiers exhibit at the frequency extremes, and thus inflates the measured power results. It provides a number for consumers to compare and argue about over on the forums.
  • 1kHz CEA-2006 Burst Method testing (Dynamic PWR). This is a dynamic power measurement, adopted from the car industry, similar to IHF method, but a bit more difficult for an amplifier and more representative of real musical content.
The Stereophile review of the Focal Aria 936 claims a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, with a minimum impedance of 2.8 ohms, as shown by Swiz in his OP. The review estimated sensitivity at 89.5 dB, somewhat lower than Focal's 92 dB. Focal recommends amplifier power of 50–300W.

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Anthem MRX 1140 was tested and praised by Gene in his AudioHolics March 2022 review. His measurements showed values somewhat higher than Anthem’s claimed 140 Wpc. Importantly, this review did show this AVR can drive 4Ω loads.
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/anthem-mrx-740-1140-receivers

The review shows more details about the power measurements than summarized below:
View attachment 56841
¹ The CFP-BW test measured 203 W into 4Ω for a fraction of a second, but after that was 163 W due to current limitation.
² For similar reasons, the 1kHz Psweep into 4Ω was 176 W at 0.1% THD+N, and was limited to 163 W at 1%.

I'm puzzled by the the 3rd row of the table, where it showed 55W as measured by the 1kHz Psweep method into 8Ω at 1% THD+N. Was this a typo, or was it explained in the review @gene ?

In the review, Gene explained three different methods he used to measure power:
  • Continuous Full Power Bandwidth (CFP-BW) from 20Hz to 20kHz into 8 and 4Ω loads (up to two-channels)
  • 1kHz Power Sweep vs. Distortion (1kHz PSweep) – an instantaneous power vs. distortion test at 1kHz popularized by the print magazines. This test often masks slew-related and/or frequency response problems some amplifiers exhibit at the frequency extremes, and thus inflates the measured power results. It provides a number for consumers to compare and argue about over on the forums.
  • 1kHz CEA-2006 Burst Method testing (Dynamic PWR). This is a dynamic power measurement, adopted from the car industry, similar to IHF method, but a bit more difficult for an amplifier and more representative of real musical content.
The Stereophile review of the Focal Aria 936 claims a nominal impedance of 8 ohms, with a minimum impedance of 2.8 ohms, as shown by Swiz in his OP. The review estimated sensitivity at 89.5 dB, somewhat lower than Focal's 92 dB. Focal recommends amplifier power of 50–300W.
Thanks it was a typo. I fixed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis