RSL Speakers Speedwoofer 10S MKII Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Speedwoofer II 2.jpg
We reviewed RSL Speakers' original Speedwoofer sub with high marks back in 2016 (RSL Speedwoofer 10S Review), and it has proven to be an extraordinarily popular subwoofer over the years since. However, technology has marched on, and while the original Speedwoofer is still a perfectly fine sub, why not leverage the advances in loudspeaker design that have occurred since then for an even better product? That brings us to the subject of today’s review, the Speedwoofer 10S MKII. The MKII employs a host of improvements and upgrades, the largest of which is switching from an analog amplifier to a class-D DSP design. The MKII essentially takes the original design and modernizes it as well as adding some performance tweaks. How much of an improvement does this have over the original? And how does the Speedwoofer 10S MKII fare on its own without comparison to its predecessor? Read our in-depth review to find out…

READ: RSL Speakers Speedwoofer 10S MKII Subwoofer Review

Last edited:
Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Cant wait to read this. I'm actually looking at the Starke SW12 thats on sale today for $399...Their SW10 is $299, which is supper tempting. But im really wanting to go 12 or bigger.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Analog amp vs class D? Is this new class D amp a "digital" amp?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Analog amp vs class D? Is this new class D amp a "digital" amp?
Hmm that should be changed. The previous iteration was class-D as well, it just didn't have any DSP onboard.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm that should be changed. The previous iteration was class-D as well, it just didn't have any DSP onboard.
Thanks, just seemed kinda weird way to put it for even an A/B amp....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great review Shady. I feel this is the best 10 inch value on the market right now price to performance just can't be beat

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If my Encore T6's didn't already extend down to 25hz I'd have gone for 2 of these in a heartbeat!

M

mns3dhm

Enthusiast
This product has a great reputation - to the extent that it is out of stock more than it is available these days. Supply chain disruption is killing the audio industry.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess I ought to check prices more often, I see that both PB1000 pro, HSU's VTF-2 mk5 and Monoprice Monolith 10 V-2 subs are now $100-150 more expensive nowadays. Putting these $200 or more over the RLS sub.
At $450 shipped price, the RLS sub does in-deed shows a great value.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I guess I ought to check prices more often, I see that both PB1000 pro, HSU's VTF-2 mk5 and Monoprice Monolith 10 V-2 subs are now $100-150 more expensive nowadays. Putting these $200 or more over the RLS sub.
At $450 shipped price, the RLS sub does in-deed shows a great value.
I just checked the 1000 pro is $800 and the VTF-2 mk5 with shipping and handling is $750. So we are looking at $300 to $350 less than SVS and HSU that's a heck of a great value. Especially since the RSL can be setup wireless

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I just checked the 1000 pro is $800 and the VTF-2 mk5 with shipping and handling is $750. So we are looking at $300 to $350 less than SVS and HSU that's a heck of a great value. Especially since the RSL can be setup wireless
The wireless does add on $50, but that is relatively cheap for wireless connectivity.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The wireless does add on $50, but that is relatively cheap for wireless connectivity.
I owned the first generation of this sub and used the wireless gear. It worked perfectly so yeah 50 bucks is a great price for wireless connectivity

M

MandM

Junior Audioholic
Cons
  • Rounding the edges would have made for a sleeker look and safer to bump into

I agree. I bump into my square edged sub at least twice a day and luckily I haven't been seriously hurt.:rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL reminds me of something I saw recently something to the effect that little toes are just to make sure your furniture is still in the same place....and that shinbones are to find furniture in the dark....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Something else that's cool is that the dsp allows you to extend the frequency response without plugging a port. Usually when you plug a port and deepen the tune of ported subs you get more low-end but give up output in the higher end. Plus one less port gives up headroom and it's easier to chuff a sub when pushed to its max.

But this doesn't appear to be the case here. The DSP allows you to get more low end response without giving up bass higher and you also don't end up having to give up a port to do it. That's pretty cool

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Something else that's cool is that the dsp allows you to extend the frequency response without plugging a port. Usually when you plug a port and deepen the tune of ported subs you get more low-end but give up output in the higher end. Plus one less port gives up headroom and it's easier to chuff a sub when pushed to its max.

But this doesn't appear to be the case here. The DSP allows you to get more low end response without giving up bass higher and you also don't end up having to give up a port to do it. That's pretty cool
DSP doesn't grant a system any more headroom or extension than it had mechanically, but it can exercise a lot more control over the raw performance that a system does have. Plugging a port does change the mechanics of a system and does alter the basic performance potential of system.

X

XaVierDK

Enthusiast
So those CEA-2010 measurements seem to indicate this punches as hard at 20 Hz as the Starke SW15. That is damn impressive both price-wise and for its size, I think, and even though its not quite its strong suit, it speaks well for the performance of the sub.

I would worry a bit about port chuffing with that amount of output from such a small box and narrow port, but I suppose you didn't hear it in your testing?

Thanks for a great review.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This would be a good upgrade to my little JBL 550p in my office.

Or, a good addition...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis