Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dual SB-1000Pro

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
Filipe

Filipe

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Before getting into the pros and cons of single vs dual, just have to say that unfortunately I'm not considering ported subs due to space limitations, specially depth, where I'm limited to 18".

Concerning the listening space, open volume is about 250sqft with distance from opposing walls (front/back) of about 10ft. It's an apartment with neighbors above, below and next door (but no shared walls). I'm planning to move to a bigger apartment in the near future. Walls are always brick and mortar and floor and ceiling are concrete slabs. Usage is probably 40/60 between music / movies. For equipment at the moment I have a Yamaha RX-V6A feeding Klipsch RP5000F towers, RP500C center, RP160M for back surrounds and RP500SA for height (Atmos).

With all that in mind, I'm looking at SVS's sealed subs because it's seems like a good compromise of performance/price/size, but still open to other suggestions within the same size and price point. I'm in Europe so some US brands are hard or impossible to get. Concerning price, getting a single SB-2000Pro or dual SB-1000Pro will cost me about the same (just 90eur more for dual). They have the same 12" driver (if I'm not mistaken) but different cabinet and amps. Dual would probably allow me to have a more even dispersion with less hot/cold spots. But would they perform as good as a single 2000Pro? What are your thoughts?

SB-1000ProSB-2000Pro
sb1000pro.PNG
sb2000pro.PNG

-----
edit: added Arendal to the mix

Thanks

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey guys,

Before getting into the pros and cons of single vs dual, just have to say that unfortunately I'm not considering ported subs due to space limitations, specially depth, where I'm limited to 18".

Concerning the listening space, open volume is about 250sqft with distance from opposing walls (front/back) of about 10ft. It's an apartment with neighbors above, below and next door (but no shared walls). I'm planning to move to a bigger apartment in the near future. Walls are always brick and mortar and floor and ceiling are concrete slabs. Usage is probably 40/60 between music / movies. For equipment at the moment I have a Yamaha RX-V6A feeding Klipsch RP5000F towers, RP500C center, RP160M for back surrounds and RP500SA for height (Atmos).

With all that in mind, I'm looking at SVS's sealed subs because it's seems like a good compromise of performance/price/size, but still open to other suggestions within the same size and price point. I'm in Europe so some US brands are hard or impossible to get. Concerning price, getting a single SB-2000Pro or dual SB-1000Pro will cost me about the same (just 90eur more for dual). They have the same 12" driver (if I'm not mistaken) but different cabinet and amps. Dual would probably allow me to have a more even dispersion with less hot/cold spots. But would they perform as good as a single 2000Pro? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
The SB-1000Pro definitely does not have the same driver as the SB-2000Pro, in fact, if you ask me, that is the biggest difference between them. The 2000 Pro driver is significantly more capable the the 1000 series driver, more Xmax, better deep bass performance, and higher power-handling. However, a pair of 1000s would outperform a single SB-2000Pro. That would be a no-brainer to me, get the SB-1000Pro pair.

Filipe

Filipe

Enthusiast
The SB-1000Pro definitely does not have the same driver as the SB-2000Pro, in fact, if you ask me, that is the biggest difference between them. The 2000 Pro driver is significantly more capable the the 1000 series driver, more Xmax, better deep bass performance, and higher power-handling. However, a pair of 1000s would outperform a single SB-2000Pro. That would be a no-brainer to me, get the SB-1000Pro pair.
Yes the drivers are indeed different, my mistake.
I also was inclined towards dual 1000 being a better choice, but on a similar thread on the AV Forum they say that a user went from dual sb-1000 to a single sb-2000 and that he was convinced the single sb-2000 setup performed better.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
2 PB1000Pros. It comes with plugs if you want it sealed. Options always great IMHO.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Two would be better than one. I've often wonder the same kind of question as to low end extension.

How would two SB1000pros handle say 18 or 20 hz? Yes they're sealed and SVS's budget option but two being better than one, how would it handle? I'd imagine the more you have the better the extension, right?

Let imagine even further, what if you had a room that was wall to wall 4 inch bass drivers, could that extend down past 20hz? (I know theres a lot of factoring here, power, type of 4" speaker, cabinet, etc etc, but if all things were spec'd for bass) could that extend down past 20hz?

Filipe

Filipe

Enthusiast
I'm sure plenty of people here are waaaayy more knowledgeable on this subject and can (will) correct me but here is what I got at the moment...

Theoretically couldn't any size driver be vibrated down to 1Hz (except for tweeters probably?). The question would be how much air can they displace at lower frequencies, or how much variation in atmospheric pressure can they generate. With enough of them theoretically 4inch drivers could reach reference levels of SPL at 10Hz..? The thing is, doubling the number of drivers increases SPL by 3dB (or 6dB on the low end due to.. coupling..?). So if I take the SB-1000Pro SPL curve and increase it by 3db at 10Hz (or even 6dB) to account for two of them, it still doesn't reach the SPL levels of the sb-2000Pro at that frequency, using the same 90dB as reference. But as we get higher to the 15Hz to 20Hz range, the dual 1000pro would output more SPL than the 2000pro.

Now, SPL isn't everything. These are two different subs at different price points and different components. So, how do they sound and compare to each other is a more complex subject..

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm sure plenty of people here are waaaayy more knowledgeable on this subject and can (will) correct me but here is what I got at the moment...

Theoretically couldn't any size driver be vibrated down to 1Hz (except for tweeters probably?). The question would be how much air can they displace at lower frequencies, or how much variation in atmospheric pressure can they generate. With enough of them theoretically 4inch drivers could reach reference levels of SPL at 10Hz..? The thing is, doubling the number of drivers increases SPL by 3dB (or 6dB on the low end due to.. coupling..?). So if I take the SB-1000Pro SPL curve and increase it by 3db at 10Hz (or even 6dB) to account for two of them, it still doesn't reach the SPL levels of the sb-2000Pro at that frequency, using the same 90dB as reference. But as we get higher to the 15Hz to 20Hz range, the dual 1000pro would output more SPL than the 2000pro.

Now, SPL isn't everything. These are two different subs at different price points and different components. So, how do they sound and compare to each other is a more complex subject..
Let's put it this way: the averaging effect of the in-room response is going to make a far greater difference than whatever different sound characteristics these subs have.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Two would be better than one. I've often wonder the same kind of question as to low end extension.

How would two SB1000pros handle say 18 or 20 hz? Yes they're sealed and SVS's budget option but two being better than one, how would it handle? I'd imagine the more you have the better the extension, right?

Let imagine even further, what if you had a room that was wall to wall 4 inch bass drivers, could that extend down past 20hz? (I know theres a lot of factoring here, power, type of 4" speaker, cabinet, etc etc, but if all things were spec'd for bass) could that extend down past 20hz?
In short, no.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis