What does Audiophyte mean?

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
I posted before that I call myself Audiophile Heretic because I disagree with the myth, magic, and dogma accepted by audiophiles.

What does Audiophyte mean? Some kind of plant or vegetable? That sounds derogatory.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can't say I've ever seen an actual definition. It's mostly just a reflection of your current post count...then it will change to the next "level" moniker.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
Oh, I get it now. Dictionary says a neophyte is: "A person who is new to a subject, skill, or belief. A new convert to a religion. A novice in a religious order, or a newly ordained priest."

Dictionary also says -phyte denotes a plant like organism.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
I earned a certificate "Consumer Audio Associate of the Institute of High Fidelity" by reading a book and taking a test and mailing in my answers in 1977.
I earned Associate of Arts Engineering Science with Academic Honors, Phi Theta Kappa in 1990.
I earned Associate in Applied Science Electronic Technology with Academic Honors, Phi Theta Kappa in 1990.

I've been studying physics, engineering, electronics, sound, and human hearing psychoacoustics for at least 45 years. I am new to Audioholics, but I am not new to the subject.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I agree there's no definition for audiophyte. It's simply a version of neophyte or newbie, applied to audio. And here on AH it's a reflection only of post count.

We do encounter plenty of newbies here, and try to answer their questions. Some, but not all, listen to the answers given. Others, resist any answers. It's probably because many people have preconceived ideas about home audio that simply are wrong. Also, few people like to expose their ignorance to others, especially in an online forum. As a result, some of us make an effort to welcome the newbies and answer their questions. I like to tell them, "The only stupid question is the one you were afraid to ask."

A good example is that recent thread where a new poster didn't seem to understand the differences between DC resistance and AC impedance, as applied to amplifiers and loud speakers. I noticed you responded in that thread. So … here's my belated welcome to Audioholics :).

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It means everyone starts at the bottom and poop rolls downhill. You have already experienced TLS :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just like audiophile is a term for an audio enthusiast, or Audioholics is the combination of audio plus alcoholic, creating a much better (?) concept of those addicted to audio. Audiophyte is a combination of audioholic and neophyte. Specific to the forums. So, it means a new member of the forums with not that many postings.

It is entirely based upon how many posts you have on the forums. At some point, it was pretty easy to see how you ranked up through the various names associated with post counts, but I can't find where that information is anymore. If you look at the post counts associated with the different 'titles' under them, you will see that the names are associated with post counts. Like at 10,000 or so, I will go from a Warlord to a Slumlord... then it is a long journey to become a Jedi.

It is the way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis