Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Interesting.

"and how they create blocking problems for Main St grade crossing in Fairport"

Some angry residents in Fairport.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
One of my favorite places in the world.....

There is beauty there that will rival Norway.

And the train that goes by ain't bad either. ;)

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Beautiful area of the country, passed trough there 10 years ago when going west on the 'Empire Builder'

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Check out the next generation of Amtrak's Acela .........

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Nice! It's about time in this country.

Maybe more people will ride the train now.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I saw that. I usually go to that youtube site every week to watch the trains. I can't believe that guy.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
8 BNSF engines! I have never in my life seen that many engines pulling a load. Sunday evening 6/19/2022

Around 7:20 PM CT

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
8 BNSF engines! I have never in my life seen that many engines pulling a load. Sunday evening 6/19/2022

Around 7:20 PM CT
just looked at it this AM, couldn't back track to the time stamp of the 8 units. Most likely repositioning of power somewhere

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I must have timed it just right last night. I usually never see any train activity when I visit that youtube site. The roar of those engines as they passed by was unbelievable.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always wondered when I see multiple engines how many are actually employed....think the other day saw one heading up towards the pass (about a 4000' gain from here) with four at the head, two at the tail....but really wasn't paying attention, think that's fairly typical here?

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
If you think about how they are powered, all the powered units are in unison. The only real value is the powered units. Rolling stock is just that. They carry no fuel for the actual powered units. Power is traded between different companies when needed. They have agreements for just that.

I've worked on specialized rolling stock for specific jobs. The actual engines are pretty amazing. The horsepower and torque per unit is still matched by oil fired steam. The old pushers in the Sierra Nevada were oil fired steam. They pushed the old diesel and a lot of diesel/electric freight trains in the 70s. I remember seeing them come out of the warm up shed. A black trail of smoke would fill the valley as it pushed it's way over the pass. They used it as a break too. It articulated it was so long.. 1.2 million lbs with tenders. 130 feet long. Big Boys 4-8-8-4

When was the last time you say a caboose? Me yesterday, there is one across the street, it's a restaurant. :)

I LOVE HO railroading too. :) Better than eatin' bugs..

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Always wondered when I see multiple engines how many are actually employed....think the other day saw one heading up towards the pass (about a 4000' gain from here) with four at the head, two at the tail....but really wasn't paying attention, think that's fairly typical here?
Given the climb they need to make I suspect 'helpers' on the hind end in your neck of the woods is quite common. Another practice that has become quite common these days thanks to PTC (positive train control) combined with micro-processor locomotive controls is DPU (distributed power units), placing a locomotive in the middle of the consist. With todays monster long trains this aides greatly with both startup and braking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Given the climb they need to make I suspect 'helpers' on the hind end in your neck of the woods is quite common. Another practice that has become quite common these days thanks to PTC (positive train control) combined with micro-processor locomotive controls is DPU (distributed power units), placing a locomotive in the middle of the consist. With todays monster long trains this aides greatly with both startup and braking.
Yep, believe I have seen trains with locomotives in the middle now that you mention it....

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I see engines placed in the middle of the cars (youtube channel), but it seems to depend on where you live. We don't have that around here. All I see are several engines in front and then two placed at the rear.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
"Given the climb they need to make I suspect 'helpers' on the hind end in your neck of the woods is quite common. Another practice that has become quite common these days thanks to PTC (positive train control) combined with micro-processor locomotive controls is DPU (distributed power units), placing a locomotive in the middle of the consist. With todays monster long trains this aides greatly with both startup and braking."

Trains are so cool. I know the longer the train and the tighter the turns is a reason there is power distribution through the train. I'm sure the computer systems model the needs as they hook up and place power and braking as needed.

One of the loudest noises I ever heard was a coupling breaking in a switching yard. Man alive I'd been around LOUD things, but that took the cake. It was about 30 feet away. The other side was lined 24" pipe on flat cars I swear it was louder than a Deep Purple concert I was at. People were actually crying at that one, trying to get off the main floor and into the halls it was so loud at times.. I left, when toilet paper quits working, it's WAY to loud.
That coupling was louder. I think the pipe amplified it.

They use to use the same engine/pumps in switching units as submarines too. WWI / WWII era of thinking. BE prepared. Like liberty ships, production is key.. Have a way to power them is also.

If I remember 1/2 was to power the boat and 1/2 was air compressors. They had a few power units and batteries.. What a wonderful thought. I'll stick with the RR stuff and maybe a tunnel or two... LOL
Thinking Submarine, makes me grab for an O2 bottle.. Trains not so much.. :)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I see engines placed in the middle of the cars (youtube channel), but it seems to depend on where you live. We don't have that around here. All I see are several engines in front and then two placed at the rear.
yes, the driving factor usually comes down to train length, tonnage and grades. Some of these monster trains today are 12,000 -15,000 ft long so drawbar pull needs to be evened out by utilizing DPU's

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis