Monoprice Monolith Encore T6 Tower Loudspeaker Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I skimmed through 9 pages of primarily off-topic stuff, Dan getting overexcited with his new Monoprice towers, which he did get at a reasonable price. I can't blame him as I'm also a sucker for cheap speakers that punch way above their price point. RIP tSc (the brand).
I am curious about what else is there at this price point, around $800/pr to be compared against.
Monorpice ships for free but charges tax in NJ, so the total is almost $800 (at the current $375/each price)

I could only think of CMT-340SE. Including pedestals and shipping (no tax in NJ for some reason) - the total is $850
I know the petite Ascents can't fully match the bass extension of Monolith T6 towers but likely offer smoother midrange and treble?
HHow much were those new Heco's? They looked pretty good... a touch more expensive iirc.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I skimmed through 9 pages of primarily off-topic stuff, Dan getting overexcited with his new Monoprice towers, which he did get at a reasonable price. I can't blame him as I'm also a sucker for cheap speakers that punch way above their price point. RIP tSc (the brand).
I am curious about what else is there at this price point, around $800/pr to be compared against.
Monorpice ships for free but charges tax in NJ, so the total is almost $800 (at the current $375/each price)

I could only think of CMT-340SE. Including pedestals and shipping (no tax in NJ for some reason) - the total is $850
I know the petite Ascents can't fully match the bass extension of Monolith T6 towers but likely offer smoother midrange and treble?
CMT-340 doesn't offer smoother midrange, maybe smoother treble, at least on-axis. The Encore T6s look to be a better speaker overall. One speaker that should offer the Encores some stiff competition is the Fluance Signature Three-way towers, which are pretty good for the money. If you don't care about a tower speaker form factor, then there are monitors that could give these a real run for the money like PreSonus Eris E8 XT, Kali LP-8 or IN-8, although those monitors will not quite have the bass extension of the Encore towers.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay been chatting with Shady and to decide if I want to keep the sub the PC 2000 pro or go with the towers alone I need to do room measurements

I could do REW and all that but for a 3 channel setup I don't know if I want to manually measure adjust and measure it can be a pain in the butt.

But it occurred to me I have the denon X3700H and I can pick up the Audyssey Editor App.

I've been critical of room correction in the past.

But @PENG And @Pogre Are really favorable of it and ai thought why not open up a separate thread and go over to how set up and use the Editor App to find out what's going on in the room and see how well it can set the bass with towers and without to decide which way to go? It would be great for new members to learn how to use the Audyssey Editor app as well.

What would a good thread section to open this up on?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay been chatting with Shady and to decide if I want to keep the sub the PC 2000 pro or go with the towers alone I need to do room measurements

I could do REW and all that but for a 3 channel setup I don't know if I want to manually measure adjust and measure it can be a pain in the butt.

But it occurred to me I have the denon X3700H and I can pick up the Audyssey Editor App.

I've been critical of room correction in the past.

But @PENG And @Pogre Are really favorable of it and ai thought why not open up a separate thread and go over to how set up and use the Editor App to find out what's going on in the room and see how well it can set the bass with towers and without to decide which way to go? It would be great for new members to learn how to use the Audyssey Editor app as well.

What would a good thread section to open this up on?
Strikes me that this would be the best location:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Strikes me that this would be the best location:
Okay that's where I'm going to open this thread up then if you guys want to drop in give advice and take a look. I've used room eq before and used audyssey but not the App so I may have a learning curve and may need some tips

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay that's where I'm going to open this thread up then if you guys want to drop in give advice and take a look. I've used room eq before and used audyssey but not the App so I may have a learning curve and may need some tips
If you have a tablet, I suspect that is better for the App. Phone is pretty small if you are going to play with the curve editing feature.
It can be done... just takes a lot of patience.
Tip!: you can make a point to correct and drag it to the right location.If you need to over-tweak a correction, you may actually need to create the point slightly off of your target and then move it into place.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a tablet, I suspect that is better for the App. Phone is pretty small if you are going to play with the curve editing feature.
It can be done... just takes a lot of patience.
Tip!: you can make a point to correct and drag it to the right location.If you need to over-tweak a correction, you may actually need to create the point slightly off of your target and then move it into place.
I don't really have a good tablet anymore so it will have to be my phone but that's all stuff for the new thread!!!! Coming up in just 5 min!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Should you want to use the MultEQ Editor App with your X3700, Here is the link to the thread which PENG had started with tips:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Should you want to use the MultEQ Editor App with your X3700, Here is the link to the thread which PENG had started with tips:
I'll drop in there 2 I wanted to do a beginners thread tho but dang looks like PENG beat me to it oh well I'll do my thread and then use PENGS thread to speed me up as I use it

Thanks for the info!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
CMT-340 doesn't offer smoother midrange, maybe smoother treble, at least on-axis. The Encore T6s look to be a better speaker overall. One speaker that should offer the Encores some stiff competition is the Fluance Signature Three-way towers, which are pretty good for the money. If you don't care about a tower speaker form factor, then there are monitors that could give these a real run for the money like PreSonus Eris E8 XT, Kali LP-8 or IN-8, although those monitors will not quite have the bass extension of the Encore towers.
This ASR review measured the speaker horizontally, for MTM is obviously the worst-case scenario.
Would vertical measurements produce significantly different results?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This ASR review measured the speaker horizontally, for MTM is obviously the worst-case scenario.
Would vertical measurements produce significantly different results?
It would change the listening window curve. It would only have very small effects on the other curves, but no effect on the sound power or on-axis curves.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
One speaker that should offer the Encores some stiff competition is the Fluance Signature Three-way towers, which are pretty good for the money.
From a home theater perspective, do you think the T6's are the better speaker for that job? Assuming one wanted to run on the louder side around 85db with room for peaks? Any other tower that could be setup as L/C/R identical like the T6 in the $500/speaker range that would best it for this role?

Very best,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
From a home theater perspective, do you think the T6's are the better speaker for that job? Assuming one wanted to run on the louder side around 85db with room for peaks? Any other tower that could be setup as L/C/R identical like the T6 in the $500/speaker range that would best it for this role?

Very best,
I don't remember. I would have to do a back-to-back comparison. It has been too long since I have dealt with the Fluance speakers. I remember them being good for the price.

As for other speakers, Elac has some that could be good for around the same price. Klipsch has some that might be OK. Polk as well. I just don't know how good any of them really are compared to the Encores. I suspect the low-frequency extension and dynamic range would not be on the level of the Encores.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I don't remember. I would have to do a back-to-back comparison. It has been too long since I have dealt with the Fluance speakers. I remember them being good for the price.

As for other speakers, Elac has some that could be good for around the same price. Klipsch has some that might be OK. Polk as well. I just don't know how good any of them really are compared to the Encores. I suspect the low-frequency extension and dynamic range would not be on the level of the Encores.
Ok so I bought the audyssey military eq app. Very easy to set up. It did what you suggested Shady it set all 3 of those towers to full band and ran them as large with the sub.

After it ran the corrections I was super happy man. What I didn't like before with the sub first put in is remember how when I ran the towers everything was clear imaging precise Soundstage wide?

Well that all collaped after the sub came into play.

Which means like you said Shady the one sub was irregular in coverage and out of phase with the towers.

Once Auddysey summed all 4 together and applied eq everything I loved about these speakers came back it sounds bada$$

I love a tower when I can just run it full range like that

I just wish I could show you the measurements I haven't figured out how to do that just yet transfer them from my Audyssey app to my phone to here

But it sounds great

Audyssey has the front 3 as full band it doesn't show a crossover for the sub I guess it's running it full range too. Should I leave as is or use LFE+main setting? I don't think I have to with 3 front 3 running full band right?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Bottom line being able to run 3 towers as full range blended with a sub is bada$$ and for only 350 a tower is what I paid even better

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I just wish I could show you the measurements I haven't figured out how to do that just yet transfer them from my Audyssey app to my phone to here
Take screenshots of the individual measurements... the ones where they show the before and after. The Before is the only one that really has any meaning, unfortunately.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Take screenshots of the individual measurements... the ones where they show the before and after. The Before is the only one that really has any meaning, unfortunately.
Lol I tried with another phone they came out terrible unless there's a way to do it with my phone? Sorry technology retarded

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Lol I tried with another phone they came out terrible unless there's a way to do it with my phone? Sorry technology retarded
Just google screenshot and your phone model. I’m on an iPhone, not likely that my “side button + volume+” is the same for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis