Philharmonic Audio - BMR Tower speakers in Piano Black - Unboxing Video

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
D@mn Wookie... You and I could almost be brothers! :p

I'm paging @Swerd . He's the official Philharmonic Audio Fan Boy Club President. He'll fill you in on your dues and all that good stuff.
Crying Laughing Emoji GIFs | Tenor

But seriously, now.

What are you impressions thus far? Have you plugged them into something just to make certain they work? Thoughts on the Fit & Finish?
:D

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
D@mn Wookie... You and I could almost be brothers! :p

I'm paging @Swerd . He's the official Philharmonic Audio Fan Boy Club President. He'll fill you in on your dues and all that good stuff.
Crying Laughing Emoji GIFs | Tenor

But seriously, now.

What are you impressions thus far? Have you plugged them into something just to make certain they work? Thoughts on the Fit & Finish?
:D
They're sitting upside down in another room waiting for me to finish the music room.

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
I would point out that those boxes--the ones he casually carried into the room--weigh 93 lbs each. Someone is younger than I am.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
They're sitting upside down in another room waiting for me to finish the music room.
Plug them into something right away, just to hear them. I suggest you either flip them right-side-up, or listen standing on your head.

Loved the unpacking video. That may earn you a discount on your Philharmonic Audio Fan Boy Club fees. But before I contact you about membership fees, I'll wait until you've listened to them for at least a few days. Usually new members are much more willing to pay up after they've heard their new speakers.

You have to wait for the 30-day Secret Return Policy to end before you can learn the club's secret handshake.

Seriously, congratulations on those new speakers. I know you're going to love them.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I'm planning to get them powered up this weekend. Only a few more days.... My wife is giving me sh!t for not having the music room ready and live since I have everything and keep wasting time making videos. So I need to get to it asap.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
Last night I hooked up the Nord amps, the BMR Towers, the DAC and the Turntable. Balanced and speakers cables are all Bluejeans best offerings. First impressions are the sound is a bit harsher than I am use to, the room is boomy and the over all sounds lacks life and imaging. My wife couldn't describe the sound other than the bass sounds like a buzzing bee.

I have a ton of work to do with speaker placement and calibration. Not to mention the room is probably too small to pull off this system in the first place.

As a point of reference, the audio system I have in my media room is a Denon AVR with Klipsch Reference Series RB-81 II Bookshelf Speakers and a set of Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofers. That system is so clear and three dimensional with sound coming from around and behind you in 2 channel not to mention the tightness in the bass and lifelike voices. I think the grand total for just the 2.1 part of that system was around $2500 and was the catalyst for me wanting a dedicated room I can share with my wife so we can both experience the amazing quality of good 2 channel music. Shamefully, this new system in components alone is just over $9000.

After auditioning the new system in its entirety for a while my heart sank and felt sick in my stomach that I couldn't gain any of the bliss from my other music system. Even my wife looked at me. She didn't say it but her eyes were asking me what the hell have I just done! Solo projects like Eddie Vedder, Johnny Cash or even Norah Jones all sound less offensive but do not have the clarity and realism I am use to.

Like I said, I have a lot of work to do to fix this dilemma. Being that the 2 channel room was designed to be a completely new and unknown experience, all the elements are still alien to me and so much needs to be looked at. This was an experiment to begin with and like with any new invention, tweaking and repairs need to be made till the final product is ready for prime time.

I will provide an update when the butterflies return.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Last night I hooked up the Nord amps, the BMR Towers, the DAC and the Turntable. Balanced and speakers cables are all Bluejeans best offerings. First impressions are the sound is a bit harsher than I am use to, the room is boomy and the over all sounds lacks life and imaging. My wife couldn't describe the sound other than the bass sounds like a buzzing bee.

I have a ton of work to do with speaker placement and calibration. Not to mention the room is probably too small to pull off this system in the first place.

As a point of reference, the audio system I have in my media room is a Denon AVR with Klipsch Reference Series RB-81 II Bookshelf Speakers and a set of Klipsch Reference R-112SW Subwoofers. That system is so clear and three dimensional with sound coming from around and behind you in 2 channel not to mention the tightness in the bass and lifelike voices. I think the grand total for just the 2.1 part of that system was around $2500 and was the catalyst for me wanting a dedicated room I can share with my wife so we can both experience the amazing quality of good 2 channel music. Shamefully, this new system in components alone is just over $9000.

After auditioning the new system in its entirety for a while my heart sank and felt sick in my stomach that I couldn't gain any of the bliss from my other music system. Even my wife looked at me. She didn't say it but her eyes were asking me what the hell have I just done! Solo projects like Eddie Vedder, Johnny Cash or even Norah Jones all sound less offensive but do not have the clarity and realism I am use to.

Like I said, I have a lot of work to do to fix this dilemma. Being that the 2 channel room was designed to be a completely new and unknown experience, all the elements are still alien to me and so much needs to be looked at. This was an experiment to begin with and like with any new invention, tweaking and repairs need to be made till the final product is ready for prime time.

That's one of the risks of placing acoustic panels based on best estimates alone. You may find that moving/removing/adding panels will noticeably change things, as well as adjusting speaker placement, which can be a chore with heavy glossy cabinets. Those speakers measure too well to be the culprit, so hold steady and do some more research. Some measurements in front of the speakers and in room may give some clues into what is happening and how to address it.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That's one of the risks of placing acoustic panels based on best estimates alone. You may find that moving/removing/adding panels will noticeably change things, as well as adjusting speaker placement, which can be a chore with heavy glossy cabinets. Those speakers measure too well to be the culprit, so hold steady and do some more research. Some measurements in front of the speakers and in room may give some clues into what is happening and how to address it.
You’ll need to cover a large area as well with acoustic panels and the panels should have some covering to reflect some high frequencies to avoid deadening it too much. Even then there are no guaranties.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You’ll need to cover a large area as well with acoustic panels and the panels should have some covering to reflect some high frequencies to avoid deadening it too much. Even then there are no guaranties.
The BMRs have a fairly flat response off axis so I would be tempted to start with no side panels if the sound lacks "life and imaging". That implies too much absorption on the side walls. Boomynees can be due to standing waves and some REW measurements would help there. May need some bass traps in the corners or move the speakers away from the walls more. I'm no expert and the acoustic aspects of the room can be tricky.

Billy106

Billy106

Audioholic Intern
Well...I personally thinks it comes down to the OP personal sound preferences....based on his other speakers. Obviously....DM.... doesn't voice his speakers anything like Klipsch....so yea....they'll be some listener adjustment period....but I'm not surprised....right off that bat.
Changing speakers with virtually opposing sigitures....could be a bridge to far....just saying.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The BMRs have a fairly flat response off axis so I would be tempted to start with no side panels if the sound lacks "life and imaging". That implies too much absorption on the side walls. Boomynees can be due to standing waves and some REW measurements would help there. May need some bass traps in the corners or move the speakers away from the walls more. I'm no expert and the acoustic aspects of the room can be tricky.
I’ve no panels on the sides as a matter of necessity. You can look in my signature for pictures of my living room with most updated pictures at the end of the thread as I can’t edit the first post anymore.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve no panels on the sides as a matter of necessity. You can look in my signature for pictures of my living room with most updated pictures at the end of the thread as I can’t edit the first post anymore.
I recall your room but that was professionally done, was it not?

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I repositioned the towers away from the walls an additional foot and the room came alive. We listened to a few records and it was pretty amazing. Everything looks and sounds good. Just need a decent record cleaner. The one i bought from fluance is garbage.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I repositioned the towers away from the walls an additional foot and the room came alive.
Glad to hear.
In my 11x15' room, the front baffles of my 3s are about 3' standoff. Of course the Bass cabinet is 2' deep and I could only get about 1' from the front wall to the back of the cabinets.
Of course, I also have them about 30" from the side walls which doesn't leave much room for proper separation... 6' on center.
It sucks that the Room and Physics is really the determining factor! I'd love to have an extra foot of space in my room! :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Well sometimes you need to have your brains broken in first. Give it some time. :D

Did you try Pure Direct mode? That usually gets the clearest sound if Room Correction makes it sound muddy.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
When I first started listening to my DIY BMR bookshelf speakers, my initial impression was, "these sound kind of flat" (in a not so great way)

As I listened longer it became, "wow, these sound really flat!"-- as in a ruler flat FR and in a good way.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis