Arendal 1961 1S vs. XTZ 12.17 Edge

J

jbminger

Audiophyte
Hello All,

I am in the process of putting together a home theatre in our living room/play room. I'm going for a 5.1.2 system. The mix of music/video is about 40% music and 60% video. But I'm not sure if I'll use the subwoofer for music or not. My floor standing speakers have a frequency range down to 28hz.

The dimension and general layout of the room can be seen in the below image. The TV is above the fireplace, and located at a very comfortable height, especially when reclined on the recliner.

As the title suggests, I'm currently considering between the Arendal 1961 1S and XTZ 12.17 Edge. The XTC is €723 delivered and the 1961 1s is €899 delivered. I'd much rather spend €176 less on the XTZ. I realise that the 1S is sealed and that the XTZ edge is ported. so what would you suggest, given the room size and price difference? I'd also be open to any other options not more than the 1961 1S.

thanks,
Jason

IMG_7161.JPG

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd probably save the cash between these too. The XTZ turnings give you the flexibility to have the sub behave like a sealed unit if you wanted to change the turnings for different source material.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Arendal sub is very good, but I would go for the extra deep bass headroom given by the XTZ sub.

J

jbminger

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Would the XTZ be overkill for my room size ?

J

jbminger

Audiophyte
The XTZ 12.17 edge is currently listed “on sale” for €683.88, reduced from €795.
Is this a real sale or is this the normal price?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The XTZ 12.17 edge is currently listed “on sale” for €683.88, reduced from €795.
Is this a real sale or is this the normal price?
Kinda hard to tell, as MSRP for all retailers is an arbitrary number. It definitely is a good price for sub of it caliber regardless of sale or not.

J

jbminger

Audiophyte
I agree it’s a good price, I was more questioning if I need to order it now or if I could wait a few weeks or a month…

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I agree it’s a good price, I was more questioning if I need to order it now or if I could wait a few weeks or a month…
Did you google the sub and check the history? I've gotta imagine that the price has gone up in the last two years, but haven't researched. The manufacturer being direct, I'd expect that any sale is reflected of their normal price.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious if BK Elec subs were a consideration? Did brexit have any influence?

J

jbminger

Audiophyte
Did you google the sub and check the history? I've gotta imagine that the price has gone up in the last two years, but haven't researched. The manufacturer being direct, I'd expect that any sale is reflected of their normal price.
Hi, I did Google it. It appears it is actually on sale.

J

jbminger

Audiophyte
Curious if BK Elec subs were a consideration? Did brexit have any influence?
I previously looked at bk elec subs,, but I seem to remember mixed reviews?
Any advice between the XTZ and BK elec? Brexit would have a bearing on things, but I have family in Northern Ireland (UK) so I could get it delivered there if needed.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Any advice between the XTZ and BK elec? Brexit would have a bearing on things, but I have family in Northern Ireland (UK) so I could get it delivered there if needed.
Id take the XTZ for the price, performance and features.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Never seen a single bad review about the BKElec sub, that said on this side of the pond they aren't very common for obvious reasons.
Monolith Plus should be around the same money and performance as the XTZ sub, but available in more finishes and optionally as Down firing version - likely be important for places with little kids not shoving toys into sub ports.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That was my gut feeling the XTZ would be a better choice.
They're both good units and with your room size, either will make you happy. The dollar difference and the tunings (shady's comment about deeper extension) would be my reasons for choosing it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis